richard10012
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
It is now very clear that Dominic Cummings is running the government. He hates the civil service and wants reforms. The head of the civil service has announced his resignations. He wants to take power away from the cabinet office. What are his reforms plans? Will they work?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Dunno. Doubt it.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Doubt it. Advisers, however powerful, come and go rather often. Whitehall is more than capable of bogging down any reforms it doesnt like until they run out of steam or Cummings ousted from his perch.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 days ago
Isnt he busy running the government, SAGE and NHS eye tests?
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Doubt it. Advisers, however powerful, come and go rather often. Whitehall is more than capable of bogging down any reforms it doesnt like until they run out of steam or Cummings ousted from his perch.
Depends what his reform is.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by richard10012)
It is now very clear that Dominic Cummings is running the government. He hates the civil service and wants reforms. The head of the civil service has announced his resignations. He wants to take power away from the cabinet office. What are his reforms plans? Will they work?
No idea. Might work.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
OP, why has it taken you six months to understand who runs the government? Mr Johnson is a part-time prime minister. The reforms I expect are designed to centralise power in number 10, and because of a belief that the civil service frustrates reform.

I can understand why in a digital age the analogue structure of government might need reform, but that is not the motive. Blaming the civil service for the mass deaths caused by Mr Johnson's inaction in March and then not sacking Mr Cummings is wrong.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
Depends what his reform is.
Well yes, there is that rather important caveat. However it was implied that i was reffering to reforms the service disagrees with.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Napp)
Well yes, there is that rather important caveat. However it was implied that i was reffering to reforms the service disagrees with.
The service will disagree with anything that improves them if it gives them more accountability/workload.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
The service will disagree with anything that improves them if it gives them more accountability/workload.
Or relocates them to Coventry.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
There is far too much inertia in the CS for there to be any realistic prospect of reform, and that reform would just be to make it a differently autocratic anyway
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Quady)
Or relocates them to Coventry.
Could be worse, could be Swansea
And what makes you say that?
Either way, kind of hard to give them a higher workload as they already do all the functions of government..
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Napp)
The Gower is alright, at least one can look down on Bridgend/Port Talbot lol Coventry is the poor relation to its neighbours.

That did remind me I once did university recruitment for the civil service at Swansea Uni. Nobody knew what 'our company' was.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
There is far too much inertia in the CS for there to be any realistic prospect of reform, and that reform would just be to make it a differently autocratic anyway
Masterly inactivity is a beautiful thing
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 7 hours ago
(Original post by Napp)

And what makes you say that?
Either way, kind of hard to give them a higher workload as they already do all the functions of government..
I believe the Government can be automated through the use of more technology. Unfortunately, many civil servants live to keep their generous salaries/pensions.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 3 hours ago
I believe the Government can be automated through the use of more technology. Unfortunately, many civil servants live to keep their generous salaries/pensions.
Same could be said the vast majority of FTSE350 companies.

Generous salary and pension?
The CIO of HMRC earns £185k. Add 25% for employer pension, round up. That's £250k.
Their boss, the Perm Sec, £200k salary, similarly about £250k, call it £300k if you like.

58,000 staff, £4bn budget, over £1tn revenue.

You really think those compensation packages are competative....?

The CEO of Marstons (now outside the FTSE350) is on base pay of over £600k, 15% pension on top (ignoring historic final salary scheme). 14,000 staff and revenue of about £1bn. HMRC are the ones paying over 90% of their staff and yet Ralf gets all the pub lunches he likes.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 11 minutes ago
Not an unreasonable position to take.
Then again, given technology never works... the number of times the government have tried to automate things and failed being a testament.
Equally, what makes you think firing thousands of people is conductive to a good work environment? Given it is CS who make the country run, no one else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (38)
21.11%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (45)
25%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (28)
15.56%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (39)
21.67%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (16)
8.89%
I haven't started researching yet (14)
7.78%

Watched Threads