Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How embarrassing.

... A bus, 20 people dressed in tacky chav clothes throwing newspapers and umbrellas around, and 3 past it celebs...

-The bus didnt look anything like a London bus.
    -The dance was a pathetic pointless random thing, probably designed by some idiot with a degree in shoes.
    -One of the people at the bus stop used a wheelchair, i laughed when he went to get on the bus, since hardly any buses here are accessible... it later turned out he was a normal bloke with no disability.
    - :mad: A football player and a singer! It's the kind of thing you expect 14 year old kids to be impressed by!

400,000 chinese volunteers. A handful may volunteer in London, but the majority will expect to be paid, can you imagine teenagers in London being given lessons in etiquette. 'Ey china man i stabz u if u dus tuch my bird innit blud lolz'.

What a joke we are going to be.

ReputationRep:
    Can't expect anything like the Chinese ceremonies, but Athens pulled through alright, we probably will too.

ReputationRep:
    Oh kindly piss off with all the anti-London-ness. There are more than enough threads to do that in. Jesus H. Christ.

ReputationRep:
    haha, yeh first thing was apart from the colour red, what's so special abou thtis bus!?!

ReputationRep:
    so all teenagers in london talk like that?

I'm guessing you're talking about the closing ceremony (I didn't see it) but not everyone in china has good etiquette you know.

And I think we'll get plenty of volunteers.

We are obviously not going to match china for scale and wow-factor, but you're forgetting that ours is in London and theirs was in Beijing. Ours is going to be fantastic. Why are British people so pessimistic? A tourist was murdered on the first day of china's olympics, and loads of terrorist attacks have killed loads of people in western china throughout the olympics. It's actually been a disaster.

ReputationRep:
    We'll probably put on a decent show when it comes to it, though. We didn't have enough space for a big show and nowhere near 4 years to prepare, which we will have come 2012.

Although I agree. Our 8-minute segment was random. And I still really, really loathe the logo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    How embarrassing.

... A bus, 20 people dressed in tacky chav clothes throwing newspapers and umbrellas around, and 3 past it celebs...

-The bus didnt look anything like a London bus.
    -The dance was a pathetic pointless random thing, probably designed by some idiot with a degree in shoes.
    -One of the people at the bus stop used a wheelchair, i laughed when he went to get on the bus, since hardly any buses here are accessible... it later turned out he was a normal bloke with no disability.
    - :mad: A football player and a singer! It's the kind of thing you expect 14 year old kids to be impressed by!

400,000 chinese volunteers. A handful may volunteer in London, but the majority will expect to be paid, can you imagine teenagers in London being given lessons in etiquette. 'Ey china man i stabz u if u dus tuch my bird innit blud lolz'.

What a joke we are going to be.
    I agree. I solely judge a 14 day sporting event on how impressed I am by the opening and closing ceremonys that last a few hours, and as this is Britain it will obviously be rubbish, because we're British...

ReputationRep:
    I'm up for volunteering, at least I'll be out doing something while everyone who doesn't think it's worth it is sitting at home sulking

ReputationRep:
    why people consider opening and closing ceremonies to be so important? :/
    very few of my friends watched them neither did i

ReputationRep:
    I guess you can't please some people...

China had amazing ceremonies and everything seems to be comparing our efforts with them, but to me it's a bit chalk and cheese - P.R China had over a billion people while the UK barely breaks 60 million - If the 2012 games can be a percent of what the Beijing games were that will be a huge achievement.

Have some pride, because sitting at home at your desk complaining isn't going to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    I agree. I solely judge a 14 day sporting event on how impressed I am by the opening and closing ceremonys that last a few hours, and as this is Britain it will obviously be rubbish, because we're British...
    Nothing to do with being impressed, it's to do with not embarrassing ourselves on a monumental scale.

Boris was also a complete embarrassment, suit not done up, hands in pockets, messy hair, etc. He looked a complete fool next to the smart chinese officials.

ReputationRep:
    i can't imagine they would have problems finding volunteers. surely they just have to ask at universities in and surrounding london to find plenty of willing young people :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Um... every single bus in London is accessible. Which London are you talking about?

There'll be loads of volunteers, just like there are for stewarding music festivals etc. I didn't see the ceremony, so I can't comment on the rest.

ReputationRep:
    They were only dressed smart because if they had a hair out of place they would have boiling water poured on their feet.

ReputationRep:
    lol, no comments. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to do with being impressed, it's to do with not embarrassing ourselves on a monumental scale.

Boris was also a complete embarrassment, suit not done up, hands in pockets, messy hair, etc. He looked a complete fool next to the smart chinese officials.
    That was classic Boris - He's eccentric and bumbling but he's extremely intelligent and i love the bloke. Why so serious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xaxa)
    Um... every single bus in London is accessible. Which London are you talking about?

There'll be loads of volunteers, just like there are for stewarding music festivals etc. I didn't see the ceremony, so I can't comment on the rest.
    We're obviously not talking about the same London. 8/10 buses i go to use are not accessible. You cant compare it to a festival, we're talking hundreds of thousands of volunteers not a few hundred.

ReputationRep:
    This must be the third thread about London 2012!! Give it a rest people!!

ReputationRep:

Another way of looking at it is we have the freedom to act how we feel fit, whereas the Chinese officials would be severely punished if they weren't perfect.

If you're embarrassed by the way 1 person looks then fair enough. I just think its a bit sad how you can be personally embarrassed because one british official wasn't presenting himself how you see fit.

ReputationRep:
    There's hope yet, London needs 70,000 volunteers which is entirely possible. I know many people who want to volunteer, myself included. We're not rubbish at everything, I think we'll be able to pull something pretty spectuacular off.

Re. Buses, errr all buses in London cater for disabled people/wheelchairs; they have a special floor that comes out from the door!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.