Should I do a masters because there’s no job due to Covid-19

Watch
Quiet Benin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am on the brink of thinking back of going to university at the old age of my mid 20s

I don’t wanna do it, but I can’t stand this lifestyle, having no friends, no job, family looking at you like a **** makes it worse too

So I’m asking should I return to my old uni in September to waste a masters until a vaccine can be found. Positives is that I don’t have to move out (this is a positive for the family to continue bullying me) because lectures will be online and because I studied my bachelors there, I get a discount on fees

Only negative is, it’s a waste of time for me and it’s unlikely I will ever get a job because of mental health issues, only thinking of going because of covid’s second wave, no jobs and I need to get out of the house more

Anyone having the same thought as me?
Tom.Nook
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey! It doesn't sound like you particularly want to do a masters, I'd probably advise doing one just for the sake of it because your heart won't be in it and it's unlikely you'll complete it. Unless you have cash to burn, it'd also be a waste of money and there's no point doing it if you don't think it'll further your career.

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with mental health problems. If you're only thinking about doing a masters to 'get you out the house more', perhaps you could do some other stuff like volunteering? I'm doing some volunteering work at the moment after I lost my job. There's also lots of industries that do need workers at the moment. Try to give a bit of structure to your day or sign up for some online free short courses to keep you busy, but definitely don't sign up for a masters as a spur of the moment decision because you're bored now, you'll probably regret it later.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quiet Benin)
I am on the brink of thinking back of going to university at the old age of my mid 20s

I don’t wanna do it, but I can’t stand this lifestyle, having no friends, no job, family looking at you like a **** makes it worse too

So I’m asking should I return to my old uni in September to waste a masters until a vaccine can be found. Positives is that I don’t have to move out (this is a positive for the family to continue bullying me) because lectures will be online and because I studied my bachelors there, I get a discount on fees

Only negative is, it’s a waste of time for me and it’s unlikely I will ever get a job because of mental health issues, only thinking of going because of covid’s second wave, no jobs and I need to get out of the house more

Anyone having the same thought as me?
Doing a masters is not a light undertaking so think carefully before enrolling. It seems you have some issues to resolve before undertaking further study. You need to be in the right mental state before taking on the demands of a masters.

You did not say what you aim to study since a masters in the right topic can help you on the job search front. For example, data analytics is big right now. Whereas a masters in creative writing may not help you much.
Quiet Benin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
Doing a masters is not a light undertaking so think carefully before enrolling. It seems you have some issues to resolve before undertaking further study. You need to be in the right mental state before taking on the demands of a masters.

You did not say what you aim to study since a masters in the right topic can help you on the job search front. For example, data analytics is big right now. Whereas a masters in creative writing may not help you much.
I haven’t got a clear idea what to study. It’s because as a very boring person, with poor mental health, finding a job at this climate is awful.

Going uni is the safe option because mostly everyone at some points breaks down in uni and since I have experienced ‘pain’ in uni, the ‘pain’ in uni is quite different to the ‘pain’ in a job. Studying late at night helps my pain in a different way whereas working drives me to severe depression
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Quiet Benin)
I haven’t got a clear idea what to study. It’s because as a very boring person, with poor mental health, finding a job at this climate is awful.

Going uni is the safe option because mostly everyone at some points breaks down in uni and since I have experienced ‘pain’ in uni, the ‘pain’ in uni is quite different to the ‘pain’ in a job. Studying late at night helps my pain in a different way whereas working drives me to severe depression
Hi, although your original post was seeking help for choosing a course I think you should address the emotions that are driving you since I am concerned for your welfare and hope that you contact an organisation like the Samaritans to speak to a trained counsellor about your feelings and the reasons for your feelings. Take care.
saymaa27
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm almost done with my masters and I would not recommend it ONLY because it takes a lot out of you. So you need to do it for the right reasons and be in a good mind frame.

Doing it to get you out of the house isn't a good enough reason. Also, with mental health issues, having unsupportive family will absolutely drain you. So you need to focus on yourself completely, don't think about others expectations of you, everyone has their own timeline. Volunteering, accepting a job that is below your qualifications temporarily is not a bad shout x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (33)
8.03%
Confident (55)
13.38%
Indifferent (58)
14.11%
Unsure (105)
25.55%
Worried (160)
38.93%

Watched Threads