Which Way do I hold the guitar when playing? (Guitar players please answer)

Watch
Musicgirl97
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve been wanting to buy an acoustic guitar to finally learn myself how to play. But I was wondering which way do you typically need to hold the guitar? I know most guitars are right handed

So if I’m playing the guitar right handed, does the left hand do the strumming? And the neck of the guitar face my right? Or is it the opposite way around?
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Musicgirl97)
I’ve been wanting to buy an acoustic guitar to finally learn myself how to play. But I was wondering which way do you typically need to hold the guitar? I know most guitars are right handed

So if I’m playing the guitar right handed, does the left hand do the strumming? And the neck of the guitar face my right? Or is it the opposite way around?
you strum with your right hand, with the neck facing towards the left
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
neck in the left hand (which does the fretting) with the low e string at the top of the neck.
safonovmaks42094
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you're right handed, the head of the guitar should be facing left
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Strumming hand is your strong hand and what the handedness is based on. So, right handed means fretting with the left and vice versa
Synergy_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Name:  guitar.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  22.2 KB
Synergy_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The right-hand does the strumming. The neck should be facing left. Position of the guitar like the picture above ^^
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Strumming hand is your strong hand and what the handedness is based on. So, right handed means fretting with the left and vice versa
unless you are my brother, who is a lefty and absolutely rips right handed guitars :lol:

(but broadly true!)
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by gjd800)
unless you are my brother, who is a lefty and absolutely rips right handed guitars :lol:

(but broadly true!)
Yeah, I'm guessing that's because leftie guitars are hard to find (I ended up just building my own)
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Like a cello
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (76)
18.58%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (82)
20.05%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (78)
19.07%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (90)
22%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.02%
I haven't started researching yet (42)
10.27%

Watched Threads