Without double award science will I do well in life?

Watch
N1sm0_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello! I have chosen my gcse subjects earlier this year but now I am facing some issues. In one block there was double award science and art (my school doesn’t offer triple award). I chose art as it is something I enjoy. From that decision it means I am taking single award science as it is mandatory. I have always loved cars my entire life and only now I have realised I wish to pursue a career in the automobile/ mechanics business. Which sucks now because you need double award and a physics A level to get into any college or university... and I cannot take on physics for A level considering I’m not doing double award. I truly love doing art, but without double award the chances of getting a successful job in any field or work is slim considering how important it is. I cannot even take any sciences on for A level.... what should I do??
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by N1sm0_)
Hello! I have chosen my gcse subjects earlier this year but now I am facing some issues. In one block there was double award science and art (my school doesn’t offer triple award). I chose art as it is something I enjoy. From that decision it means I am taking single award science as it is mandatory. I have always loved cars my entire life and only now I have realised I wish to pursue a career in the automobile/ mechanics business. Which sucks now because you need double award and a physics A level to get into any college or university... and I cannot take on physics for A level considering I’m not doing double award. I truly love doing art, but without double award the chances of getting a successful job in any field or work is slim considering how important it is. I cannot even take any sciences on for A level.... what should I do??
What type of school do you go to?
This advice only stands if you will be living in the UK for college/ sixth form.

Normally GCSE single award science will not facilitate taking A-Level sciences at college.

However, you may find that BTEC courses such as Engineering OR even car mechanics may actually be of more interest to you. A L3 BTEC Engineering Extended Diploma is considered equivalent to 3 A-Levels by a large variety of universities.

If you don't like the idea of doing a BTEC, you seriously need to consider doing double science instead of art.
Last edited by glassalice; 1 week ago
sigma_108
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would suggest you immediately get into contact with your school and change your option to double science. I'm not exactly sure if there are schools that offer you the option of studying a science A level if you haven't done double/triple science at GCSE but if there aren't (or if your school doesn't and you wish to continue there for A level) you need to change to double ASAP. Mechanics/Engineering related degrees will almost certainly require maths and physics. In terms of a job in the field - it will vary greatly from place to place regarding whether or not they care if you have done single/double/triple science at GCSE. But certainly if you want to pursue a degree in related fields then you need to get it changed immediately as you will need physics at A level.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Where are you? Northern Ireland? And which year are you in?
N1sm0_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Compost)
Where are you? Northern Ireland? And which year are you in?
Yes Northern Ireland I’m going into year 11 In September
Nautilus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't understand why some schools still offer single sciences. In England some private schools do, but not offering double science at all seems really unhelpful. If you are going into year 11 I don't think you would be able to catch up for taking GCSEs next year for doible science.

Which science subject are you doing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.74%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.32%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.96%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (96)
21.67%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.93%
I haven't started researching yet (46)
10.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise