Maddie.W
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I'm struggling to choose between doing classical civilisation or philosophy for my 3rd a level. If anyone done both, could you please I've me some advice on what to choose? Thank you
becausethenight
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
What are you planning on studying later? What other A levels are you doing?

It's also worth asking your school if you could take both for the first week/month of Y12 so you can try them out in person, or if you can attend a taster lesson or discussion with the teacher who'll be teaching you. Looking at exam papers and syllabi online is also a shout.

Good luck
Maddie.W
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
What are you planning on studying later? What other A levels are you doing?

It's also worth asking your school if you could take both for the first week/month of Y12 so you can try them out in person, or if you can attend a taster lesson or discussion with the teacher who'll be teaching you. Looking at exam papers and syllabi online is also a shout.

Good luck

Hi thanks for replying
I am planning on doing a physics degree, so I'm taking physics and maths for my other 2 a levels. But, because these are quite heavy subjects, I was still interested in doing an essay based subject to go along with it. I understand that philosophy/classical civilisation don't really 'go' with the other a levels I wanted to do, but they peaked my interest the most.
The college I plan on going to did set up a taster day for my year group, which I was really looking forward to, but because of COVID-19 it was cancelled. Hopefully it will be rescheduled.
Thank you
Last edited by Maddie.W; 2 days ago
TheSafeCracker69
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Last edited by TheSafeCracker69; 2 days ago
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Maddie.W)
Hi thanks for replying
I am planning on doing a physics degree, so I'm taking physics and maths for my other 2 a levels. But, because these are quite heavy subjects, I was still interested in doing an essay based subject to go along with it. I understand that philosophy/classical civilisation don't really 'go' with the other a levels I wanted to do, but they peaked my interest the most.
The college I plan on going to did set up a taster day for my year group, which I was really looking forward to, but because of COVID-19 it was cancelled. Hopefully it will be rescheduled.
Thank you
Interesting, I think that would be a nice combo. Personally I would just wait for the taster day - both philosophy and class civ are fun and it really will be about you and which you enjoy best. Philosophy is possibly more of a natural companion to physics (there's a reason physics and philosophy degrees exist)!
Have you considered Further Maths, as well? It's not required for physics but it's often very helpful.
Maddie.W
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Interesting, I think that would be a nice combo. Personally I would just wait for the taster day - both philosophy and class civ are fun and it really will be about you and which you enjoy best. Philosophy is possibly more of a natural companion to physics (there's a reason physics and philosophy degrees exist)!
Have you considered Further Maths, as well? It's not required for physics but it's often very helpful.
Yeah, I did really consider taking further maths as an AS level. But a lot of people said I would be over working myself and convinced me out of doing it. I might revisit that though.
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Yeah, I did really consider taking further maths as an AS level. But a lot of people said I would be over working myself and convinced me out of doing it. I might revisit that though.
It's doable, I think - plus you can always just drop it
Maddie.W
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
It's doable, I think - plus you can always just drop it
Yeah, that is a good point. I am really considering it now. Thank you for all your help
Last edited by Maddie.W; 1 day ago
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Yeah, that is a good point. I am really considering it now. Thank you for all your help
PRSOM
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 22 hours ago
I'm struggling to choose between doing classical civilisation or philosophy for my 3rd a level. If anyone done both, could you please I've me some advice on what to choose? Thank you
Hi Maddie.W!

I took Classics for both GCSE and A Level and I loved it! The content is so interesting and the exams are actually quite enjoyable. I had a few friends who took Philosophy and definitely found it hard (but I believe they did do well in the end). I really couldn't recommend classics enough and if you have any questions about it, please let me know!

Erin - Official Student Rep
Maddie.W
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 hour ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi Maddie.W!

I took Classics for both GCSE and A Level and I loved it! The content is so interesting and the exams are actually quite enjoyable. I had a few friends who took Philosophy and definitely found it hard (but I believe they did do well in the end). I really couldn't recommend classics enough and if you have any questions about it, please let me know!

Hi Erin,
thanks for replying
Classics sounds like a really interesting course. In your opinion, is it more similar to history or english lit?
Thank you
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 minute ago
Hi Erin,
thanks for replying
Classics sounds like a really interesting course. In your opinion, is it more similar to history or english lit?
Thank you
Hi Maddie.W!

I think it's completely different to history and a lot more like english lit. This is as it consists of studying books and plays. I had friends who took both english lit and classics and classics just seemed a lot more chilled if that makes sense and the work load seemed a bit smaller and more enjoyable

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (37)
20.9%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (45)
25.42%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (27)
15.25%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (39)
22.03%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (16)
9.04%
I haven't started researching yet (13)
7.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise