How much are we expected to know about Computer Science for A Level Exams?

Watch
GogetaORvegito?
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
There is just so much theory in the text book that some past papers don't include. For example, it doesn't ever cover the control buses control lines in detail. At least I haven't seen a question on it yet. But my issue is, do I need to memorise the whole OCR text book or just memorise past papers?
Last edited by GogetaORvegito?; 4 months ago
nepotism
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If I were you, I would check out Isaac Computer Science as that has the most up to date spec and has useful revision notes. It includes everything that possibly could come up in an exam. Also, what you've got to be aware of is that OCR wants Comp Sci to be taught synoptically - in other words, the spec says that you are gonna be examined through links between different specification topics.
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
?
(Original post by nepotism)
If I were you, I would check out Isaac Computer Science as that has the most up to date spec and has useful revision notes. It includes everything that possibly could come up in an exam. Also, what you've got to be aware of is that OCR wants Comp Sci to be taught synoptically - in other words, the spec says that you are gonna be examined through links between different specification topics.
Isaac computer science looks great. Wow so this is what OCR will only test us on. Shaves off some of the theory in the text book since that example I gave in my op was not mentioned on that website. I'll sign up now thanks.

So when you mean synoptically it just basicaly means they will test me by grouping together similar topics? I don't really understand what you mean
nepotism
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by GogetaORvegito?)
Isaac computer science looks great. Wow so this is what OCR will only test us on. Shaves off some of the theory in the text book since that example I gave in my op was not mentioned on that website. I'll sign up now thanks.

So when you mean synoptically it just basicaly means they will test me by grouping together similar topics? I don't really understand what you mean
Well, basically, yeah. Taken from the spec itself:

"Synoptic assessment draws together the knowledge, understanding and skills learnt in different aspects of the A level computing course.

"The emphasis of synoptic assessment is to encourage the understanding of Computer Science as a discipline.

"It is envisaged that the Computer systems component (01) would be taught first but there are elements of the Algorithms and programming component (02) that should also be considered as computer systems are taught in order that learners are fully aware of the way problem solving through computational thinking is achieved.

"The Algorithms and programming component (02) builds on the knowledge and understanding gained in computer systems (01). Algorithms and programming will contain synoptic assessment.

"The programming project component (03) or (04) draws on all the elements of the other components in order to enable learners to develop synoptic thought processes in their approach to the solving of a real life scenario. As part of this process, learners will draw on knowledge, understanding and skills that have been embedded in components 01 and 02."

Effectively, both the papers will focus mainly on stuff within their section of the spec, but will crowbar in stuff from the other sections in order to make it more "holistic".
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
?
Isaac computer science looks great. Wow so this is what OCR will only test us on. Shaves off some of the theory in the text book since taht example I gave wan not mentioned on that website. I'll sign up now thanks.

Well, basically, yeah. Taken from the spec itself:

"Synoptic assessment draws together the knowledge, understanding and skills learnt in different aspects of the A level computing course.

"The emphasis of synoptic assessment is to encourage the understanding of Computer Science as a discipline.

"It is envisaged that the Computer systems component (01) would be taught first but there are elements of the Algorithms and programming component (02) that should also be considered as computer systems are taught in order that learners are fully aware of the way problem solving through computational thinking is achieved.

"The Algorithms and programming component (02) builds on the knowledge and understanding gained in computer systems (01). Algorithms and programming will contain synoptic assessment.

"The programming project component (03) or (04) draws on all the elements of the other components in order to enable learners to develop synoptic thought processes in their approach to the solving of a real life scenario. As part of this process, learners will draw on knowledge, understanding and skills that have been embedded in components 01 and 02."

Effectively, both the papers will focus mainly on stuff within their section of the spec, but will crowbar in stuff from the other sections in order to make it more "holistic".
Oh thanks for the clarification. Essentially it is important that I know everything from all the components then lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (700)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (881)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads