Turn on thread page Beta

2012 Olympics watch

• View Poll Results: Could taxes be better spent?
    Yes
    44.00%
    No
    56.00%

I'm suprised that not enough support was given to Birmingham or Manchester when they place bids to host the Olympics on several occassions.

Manchester, I think, would have been good to host the 2012 Olympics, seeing as they did a grand job with the Commonwealth Games a while back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob801)
    It could also be used for sense of humour transplants, I hear they're making them free on the NHS soon. You should check that out.
    To be honest i think the original chav comment was in anger as opposed to sarcastic humor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoidburg)
    Well it was a snobby comment for you to make. Besides, just because it's PC does not make it wrong. Read post 10.
    Read post 10? So I can see another person happens to have the same attitude as you? Big deal?

I will reword...

"Better spent on what? Council houses for the unfortunate/poor/underprivileged/unemployed/people who have poorly paid jobs/chavs?"

Better?

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought people were happy about the olympics coming to London - after everything that has happened there, isnt it about time something changed the atmosphere of the place?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sick Puppy)
    just because you're not good at sports :rolleyes:
    Rep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob801)
    It could also be used for sense of humour transplants, I hear they're making them free on the NHS soon. You should check that out.
    Double rep!

ReputationRep:
    The point is a lot of this money will be made back via tourists etc so technically it goes to the economy

ReputationRep:
    Although it seems that tax payers money is just going into a several week sporting event, the thing that benefits taxpayers is the legacy that all the improvements to the area, transportation, facilities that will be used for years to come. It is unlikely that quite as much development would happen over the next couple of years without the Olympics.

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit ignorant to assume that people who live in council houses are chavs.

Anyway, with inflation as it, isn't it a bit much to spend on a few weeks of national pride? I respect the games and the athletes, however, i just think that it's the wrong way to use taxes and the wrong economic time to spend such a huge amount of money. If it were funded, for example, solely by the lottery then i wouldn't mind because it would be peoples own choice. However, to use taxes on this is absurd. The government put up taxes saying they cannot afford certain things, my old school was a **** hole and they spend money that could improve life for millions on a few weeks of sport! Insanity!
    No. It is so important to be proud of your nation! Over the past two weeks I watched people's faces light up on 8.25 train from Croydon as they picked up Metro with headlines about Gold medalists, the record-breaking athletes (a contrast to the usual news of gloom economy, murder and problems within the society). Not to mention the sight of the British flag held by healthy, motivated people who are an inspiration to every teenager, man and woman. People commented on being proud of Team GB.

Holding Olympics in London gives the people 4 years to look forward to the greatest sporting event they can witness. All eyes will be on London, and when it does well, GB will be proud. It also gives us a chance to win more Gold than ever - home nation usually does. Besides, the 2 weeks of "chaos" will actually leave some long-lasting benefits - lighter streets, better sporting facilities, perhaps even an improved underground system.

P.S. "Our taxes"? I take it you've made a particular contribution to this governement's budget, being in your late teens? Not knowing your background, I can only assume that you've spent other people's tax money (school, NHS etc) than paid. So the question is rethorical really.

ReputationRep:
    We will get more money out of the olympics then we put in if we do it right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura26)
    Read post 10? So I can see another person happens to have the same attitude as you? Big deal?

I will reword...

"Better spent on what? Council houses for the unfortunate/poor/underprivileged/unemployed/people who have poorly paid jobs/chavs?"

Better?
    Big deal? Not really, just highlighting it.

Thats how it should have been phrased, at least it's less offensive. You clearly do no know anyone who lives on a council estate.

To be honest though, your beginning to become childish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura26)
    Rep!
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerodos)
    The point is a lot of this money will be made back via tourists etc so technically it goes to the economy
    Yes, but it will only be a short burst of cash, it will soon die down. After all what else do foreigners know about the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leanne Antonia)
    the thing that benefits taxpayers is the legacy that all the improvements to the area, transportation, facilities that will be used for years to come.
    The problem is that it will only help london, not the rest of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but it will only be a short burst of cash, it will soon die down. After all what else do foreigners know about the UK.
    YEah but its like an investment. The money made will be much more than what was invested. Remember foreigners have to buy hotels and food etc so technically the economy makes a shed load

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanusha-tomsk)
    No. It is so important to be proud of your nation! Over the past two weeks I watched people's faces light up on 8.25 train from Croydon as they picked up Metro with headlines about Gold medalists, the record-breaking athletes (a contrast to the usual news of gloom economy, murder and problems within the society). Not to mention the sight of the British flag held by healthy, motivated people who are an inspiration to every teenager, man and woman. People commented on being proud of Team GB.

Holding Olympics in London gives the people 4 years to look forward to the greatest sporting event they can witness. All eyes will be on London, and when it does well, GB will be proud. It also gives us a chance to win more Gold than ever - home nation usually does. Besides, the 2 weeks of "chaos" will actually leave some long-lasting benefits - lighter streets, better sporting facilities, perhaps even an improved underground system.

P.S. "Our taxes"? I take it you've made a particular contribution to this governement's budget, being in your late teens? Not knowing your background, I can only assume that you've spent other people's tax money (school, NHS etc) than paid. So the question is rethorical really.
    Billions of pounds is a lot on national pride.

BTW. I am on private health care and have recently come into a fair amount of money, which was taxed heavily *grumble*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerodos)
    YEah but its like an investment. The money made will be much more than what was invested. Remember foreigners have to buy hotels and food etc so technically the economy makes a shed load
    Unfortunately only in the immediate area of london.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you want to argue about better ways to spend our money then how is the olympics even in the top 10 for wasting money. The fact is there are many ways we waste money that could be better spent.

ReputationRep:
    Very true

ReputationRep:
    Well it seems fair as London's paying for a lot of it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.