Turn on thread page Beta

2012 Olympics watch

• View Poll Results: Could taxes be better spent?
    Yes
    44.00%
    No
    56.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x01)
    Well it seems fair as London's paying for a lot of it.
    Care to support that? Because i don't see it that way.

ReputationRep:
    I :love: the olympics, they only come around every four years and although I've got lots of other things going on in my life, I manged to watch every single sport which i was was interested in, which happens to be quite a lot! and i loved it, and although some things made me cry, it just also made me so happy I guess Im just a sports romantic. But its one of the few things outside of my immediate environment which makes me feel good. When I read the paper I ALWAYS start at the back, because the front pages are all soo damn depressing, the sport and what all those athletes achieve make me happy, and insanely jealous!
    I know its a LOT of money, and that yes there're other things that it could be spent on, but the money will come back to the economy, and I think it'll lift peopls spirts, which to me, is sooo very important. Personally I know Im going to volunteer in 2012 and do my best to enjoy it to the full. I pay taxes and have no probelm with my money being spent on something soo good. I really am crap at expressing myself but, the olympics is something special...i dont if anyone saw the shooting, but in one of the finals there was a russian competing against a Georgian and at the end they hugged and congragulted each other..and to me thats what the games is all about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millymoo9)
    I :love: the olympics, they only come around every four years and although I've got lots of other things going on in my life, I manged to watch every single sport which i was was interested in, which happens to be quite a lot! and i loved it, and although some things made me cry, it just also made me so happy I guess Im just a sports romantic. But its one of the few things outside of my immediate environment which makes me feel good. When I read the paper I ALWAYS start at the back, because the front pages are all soo damn depressing, the sport and what all those athletes achieve make me happy, and insanely jealous!
    I know its a LOT of money, and that yes there're other things that it could be spent on, but the money will come back to the economy, and I think it'll lift peopls spirts, which to me, is sooo very important. Personally I know Im going to volunteer in 2012 and do my best to enjoy it to the full. I pay taxes and have no probelm with my money being spent on something soo good. I really am crap at expressing myself but, the olympics is something special...i dont if anyone saw the shooting, but in one of the finals there was a russian competing against a Georgian and at the end they hugged and congragulted each other..and to me thats what the games is all about.
    I totally agree with you, however, the money will remain in the local economy of london as opposed to the whole of the UK. BTW, the Russian and Georgian thing is definitely what it should be about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoidburg)
    I totally agree with you, however, the money will remain in the local economy of london as opposed to the whole of the UK. BTW, the Russian and Georgian thing is definitely what it should be about.
    thanks I was expecting a barage of disapproval and argumentsXD
    And yea I agree about most of it staying in london...but i guess it cant ALL be perfect, right?:erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millymoo9)
    thanks I was expecting a barage of disapproval and argumentsXD
    And yea I agree about most of it staying in london...but i guess it cant ALL be perfect, right?:erm:
    Yeah, just pisses me off a little bit. But i would imagine that it would be a different story if i was a Londoner.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but how often will they be used? Football matches are on virtually all year round, many olympic sports are rarely held frequently. Look at the dome, it was for one event and only recently has it begun to be used again.
    I really know what you mean(i live in Athens).. But many of these unused buildings can be used as academies for the children!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GnMvP)
    I really know what you mean(i live in Athens).. But many of these unused buildings can be used as academies for the children!
    It'd be great if the UK did this. Doubt they will though, at least not for a few years.

ReputationRep:
    Care to support that? Because i don't see it that way.
    Well I can't be arsed to look for the source but here one from wiki some of the figures might be a bit off but you get the idea.

The revenue for the games was also projected:

* £1.5 billion from a special Olympic National Lottery game.
    * £625 million from a council tax surcharge of £20 per year for London households.
    * £560 million from IOC television and marketing deals.
    * £450 million from sponsorship and official suppliers.
    * £300 million from ticket sales.
    * £250 million from the London Development Agency.
    * £60 million from licensing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_2012_Olympic_bid
    As you can see most of it is from the nation lottery and London. So then from this why the hell should the rest of the UK get money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x01)
    Well I can't be arsed to look for the source but here one from wiki some of the figures might be a bit off but you get the idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_2012_Olympic_bid
    As you can see most of it is from the nation lottery and London. So then from this why the hell should the rest of the UK get money.
    The list neglects to include the cost to every UK tax payer, i will find the actual amount that goes to the olympics games soon enough. Another point, many experts have said it could cost up to £9bn. So is that coming from our tax or is it being put on the card? I do agree that a significant portion should go to Londoners, however, we host it as a nation and therefore we should all benefit equally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura26)
    Better spent on what?! Council houses for chavs?

And "some stupid sports"!? Do you want to rephrase?
    Are you a ****wit? Or just an ordinary bigot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob801)
    It could also be used for sense of humour transplants, I hear they're making them free on the NHS soon. You should check that out.
    Ok but I think you'll find what I was quoting wasn't a joke, it what just a malicious insult, like the following, idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Big deal? Not really, just highlighting it.

Thats how it should have been phrased, at least it's less offensive. You clearly do no know anyone who lives on a council estate.

To be honest though, your beginning to become childish.
    ]]

Couldn't have seen that one coming *sarcasm*

I know and am friends with a lot of people who live on council estates actually, my original comment was not intended to be taken as a deadly serious "all people who live on council estates are chavs" - you may be reading into it a little too much there...

This is what I mean by being far too PC, lighten up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    ]]

Couldn't have seen that one coming *sarcasm*

I know and am friends with a lot of people who live on council estates actually, my original comment was not intended to be taken as a deadly serious "all people who live on council estates are chavs" - you may be reading into it a little too much there...

This is what I mean by being far too PC, lighten up a bit.
    Yep, you're a ****wit :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Yep, you're a ****wit :yes:
    And you're probably ugly, shall we continue?

ReputationRep:
    And you're probably ugly, shall we continue?
    Keep on proving my point that you're a ****wit :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Keep on proving my point that we can carry on in this fashion until the cows come home but it will achieve nothing? You could always elaborate and make it a little more interesting?

ReputationRep:
    The list neglects to include the cost to every UK tax payer, i will find the actual amount that goes to the olympics games soon enough. Another point, many experts have said it could cost up to £9bn. So is that coming from our tax or is it being put on the card? I do agree that a significant portion should go to Londoners, however, we host it as a nation and therefore we should all benefit equally.
    Well then how the hell does that work. And the tax payer is NOT paying for the 2012 olympics apart from Londoners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x01)
    Well then how the hell does that work. And the tax payer is NOT paying for the 2012 olympics apart from Londoners.
    Nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit ignorant to assume that people who live in council houses are chavs.

Anyway, with inflation as it, isn't it a bit much to spend on a few weeks of national pride? I respect the games and the athletes, however, i just think that it's the wrong way to use taxes and the wrong economic time to spend such a huge amount of money. If it were funded, for example, solely by the lottery then i wouldn't mind because it would be peoples own choice. However, to use taxes on this is absurd. The government put up taxes saying they cannot afford certain things, my old school was a **** hole and they spend money that could improve life for millions on a few weeks of sport! Insanity!
    Why do I care about your ****ty old school, I'd rather watch sports.

ReputationRep:
    Keep on proving my point that we can carry on in this fashion until the cows come home but it will achieve nothing? You could always elaborate and make it a little more interesting?
    Lol. Anyone who thinks taxes are spent on err, "council houses for chavs", is a ****wit, simple as.

And if you believe in the existence of "PC" (lolz), then you're a gullible idiot.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.