Turn on thread page Beta

2012 Olympics watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Could taxes be better spent?
    Yes
    44.00%
    No
    56.00%

ReputationRep:
    I think sports are far too exxagerrated as it is, let alone the olympics. So much money is spent on events and competitions just to see whos better. There are places in the world that seriously need money far more than the people who miss out on that extra sandwich a day because of the credit crunch. These places were already poor and many people die because they couldn't afford to live. This alone sounds sickening, the fact that life is determined by money. But the credit crunch is a global problem as far as I know and in my opinion its going to hit the poorer countries a lot harder. Whilst they starve, catch diseases, and ultimately die we are here deciding how many billions we want to spend this year on sports. Its not just the Olympics, football is a huge problem. The players get paid so much and for what, how is it any different to any other sport. The amount of money the players are paid could so easily be halved and they'd still live a far more exotic life than most of us, and the spare money would easily sort out a few problems. I personally find it insane that the government donates any money to sporting events when there are far more important issues in the country and in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Lol. Anyone who thinks taxes are spent on err, "council houses for chavs", is a ****wit, simple as.
    Well, to be fair, they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Well, to be fair, they are.
    o_O

Oh yes? Council housing = chav residence now? Can't be that council housing is just for poorer members of society...nope, they all have to be violent thugs to qualify for the waiting list.

ReputationRep:
    o_O

Oh yes? Council housing = chav residence now? Can't be that council housing is just for poorer members of society...nope, they all have to be violent thugs to qualify for the waiting list.
    Oh deary me, calm down a bit will you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Nonsense.
    How so got any proof that says otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Anyone who thinks taxes are spent on err, "council houses for chavs", is a ****wit, simple as.

And if you believe in the existence of "PC" (lolz), then you're a gullible idiot.
    Why am I gullible if I believe in the existence of political-correctness?

ReputationRep:
    sports can do a lot of things to a lot of people, not just a few winners and losers.

You call people here to be snobbing, but it's snobbery to call olympics a few bunch of stupid games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura26)
    Why am I gullible if I believe in the existence of political-correctness?
    Because it means Paul Dacre and his crew of goons have succeeded in brainwashing you into thinking that this country is in the grip of something called "political correctness".

It is a tool used by the right wing to hinder social progress and social harmony. Political correctness does not exist, you can't even show me some reputable papers which also cover all the daily mail's hysterical "80% of all muslims support terrorism" or the like. In this case you've been brainwashed into believing most people on council houses are chavs, and anyone who says otherwise is just being "PC" (or maybe just liberal and unbigoted, something the right wouldn't want you to be)

By making people like you believe in the existence of "PC" you'll be encouraged to vote for parties who say they'll get rid of it, ie BNP or the like. Hence the right wins, and society becomes diseased due to the gullible, hysterical masses.

ReputationRep:
    I rightly perceive political correctness as being the using of language/terms more "acceptable" and less direct/blunt in order to avoid offense - I think you are straying from the point a little...

Anyway, you have proved the existence of political-correctness by getting so offended by my flippant comment which linked council houses to chavs? By no means did this statement translate as "all people who live in council houses are chavs"? You are being somewhat pedantic....

ReputationRep:
    o_O

It's not a statement of opinion, but rather of fact. There are chavs out there, and at least a few of them (in fact, quite a lot of them I'd wager) are receiving housing benefits.

That's not to say that everyone who lives in a council house is a chav. That'd be a ridiculous conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x01)
    How so got any proof that says otherwise?
    Costs: (at 2007 estimate) £9.35bn.

Main sources of revenue:

From UK Treasury: 6bn
    National Lottery: £2.2bn
    London council taxes: £675m

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6453575.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura26)
    I rightly perceive political correctness as being the using of language/terms more "acceptable" and less direct/blunt in order to avoid offense - I think you are straying from the point a little...

Anyway, you have proved the existence of political-correctness by getting so offended by my flippant comment which linked council houses to chavs? By no means did this statement translate as "all people who live in council houses are chavs"? You are being somewhat pedantic....
    Erm no I haven't. I've proved the existence of the right wing making everyone who isn't a bigot out to be "PC" (ie pedantic, annoying, etc).

I'm very sorry, but having spent the first 10 years of my life on a council estate I do feel annoyed about people being err "flippant" if that's what you'd call it. I'd really like to see some stats or something that show that the majority of council house tenants are chavs.

ReputationRep:
    Either that, or we'd just waste it on cancer drugs - for people who're going to die anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x01)
    Well then how the hell does that work. And the tax payer is NOT paying for the 2012 olympics apart from Londoners.
    We are all paying for it via tax. It's just figures for Londoners are published, the rest aren't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)
    Why do I care about your ****ty old school, I'd rather watch sports.
    I'm not asking you to care about my school, but what about all the public schools, some of which are in an equally bad state?

Anyway, you can watch sport in someone else's country, it doesn't need to be held here so you can watch it. Besides your comment is pretty ignorant. Seriously get your ****ing priorities right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Either that, or we'd just waste it on cancer drugs - for people who're going to die anyway!
    :eek: WOW! You are such an ignorant, inconsiderate little piece of ****ing ****. Have some respect. Heaven forbid, you yourself may need treatment for such an illness one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoidburg)
    :eek: WOW! You are such an ignorant, inconsiderate little piece of ****ing ****. Have some respect. Heaven forbid, you yourself may need treatment for such an illness one day.
    Do you know what sarcasm is?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what sarcasm is?
    Yeah, but the exclamation mark voids that one. It's plain insulting, joke or no joke. There are limits and that one is way over.

ReputationRep:
    I don't normally comment on offended reactions to my own irony - but in any case, someone calling someone a "piece of ****ing ****" somewhat undermines their point.

Especially when the point concerns offensiveness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    I don't normally comment on offended reactions to my own irony - but in any case, someone calling someone a "piece of ****ing ****" somewhat undermines their point.

Especially when the point concerns offensiveness.
    I'm sure you can understand a persons rage? What you said was very nasty and, in my opinion, warrants a much larger response than that.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.