Online Courses

Watch this thread
EddieBratley1
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I would like to become a mature student September next year and achieve a degree starting from a foundation year by the time I turn 35. Its been a long time since gcses and before I start during the next 12 months I would like to start learning how to write properly and build essays. I would like to feel a little more acedemic fluid before I start and a bit more versed in my own writing abilities
Can anyone suggest any online marked English writing courses? I need someone to corrext my grammar and punctuation Vocabulary etc and assess my skills.
Any online recommendations?
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EddieBratley1)
I would like to become a mature student September next year and achieve a degree starting from a foundation year by the time I turn 35. Its been a long time since gcses and before I start during the next 12 months I would like to start learning how to write properly and build essays. I would like to feel a little more acedemic fluid before I start and a bit more versed in my own writing abilities
Can anyone suggest any online marked English writing courses? I need someone to corrext my grammar and punctuation Vocabulary etc and assess my skills.
I don't know of any marked courses but I can recommend a couple of writing guides and free online courses that might help!

In terms of books, I found Richard Marggraf Turley's 'Writing Essays' (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...api_tkin_p1_i0 ) to be invaluable for helping me write academic essays throughout my undergraduate degree - it's very clearly laid out and contains some excellent examples. It's geared towards English and Humanities students though so maybe look for a subject specific guide if you're studying in the sciences or social sciences. I still refer to it on occasion and I'm now doing my PhD!

Trevor Day's 'Success in Academic Writing' (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Success-Aca...l-text&sr=1-12) is also really good - it was recommended to me by our academic development team at Keele and I'm very glad to have it to refer to. Again, well laid out advice with good clear examples.

In terms of courses, the Open University have several English courses available online via their OpenLearn platform (https://www.open.edu/openlearn/). These include some courses on grammar, as well as on written English. There are exercises to complete throughout the course to check your understanding, and you get a certificate at the end that you can add to your academic record. I've not taken the English ones but have been using one of the OpenLearn courses to study Latin and have found them to be excellent starting points.

Hope that helps!

Amy
jakoyugi
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by EddieBratley1)
I am available should you still be in need. Just respond to this we shall share details
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did the exam go for you?

Great! (3)
8.11%
Quite well (19)
51.35%
Not so good (11)
29.73%
Terrible! (4)
10.81%

Watched Threads