Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi

I’m having an issue with my housemates in that they want me to pay them £15 (there’s 3 of them) because they cleaned our house at the end of our tenancy when everyone else was gone, including me. Our tenancy requires us to pay for a professional cleaner at the end of tenancy, therefore I don’t think it’s fair to pay them £15 as well, I estimate that the cleaners will probably charge about £30 each anyway whether or not the house is spotless, so I only wanted the house cleaned as we normally would during the year we stayed there and to let the cleaners deal with the rest if there was anything. I feel it’s unfair that they’re asking me to pay - it’s not even for cleaning products, it’s for their time and effort. If the cleaning company charges us something like £15 then I’d give them £15 but I don’t think any cleaning company would do that. Can people advise me what to do please? I don’t want to fall out with my housemates over this.

Thanks
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi

I’m having an issue with my housemates in that they want me to pay them £15 (there’s 3 of them) because they cleaned our house at the end of our tenancy when everyone else was gone, including me. Our tenancy requires us to pay for a professional cleaner at the end of tenancy, therefore I don’t think it’s fair to pay them £15 as well, I estimate that the cleaners will probably charge about £30 each anyway whether or not the house is spotless, so I only wanted the house cleaned as we normally would during the year we stayed there and to let the cleaners deal with the rest if there was anything. I feel it’s unfair that they’re asking me to pay - it’s not even for cleaning products, it’s for their time and effort. If the cleaning company charges us something like £15 then I’d give them £15 but I don’t think any cleaning company would do that. Can people advise me what to do please? I don’t want to fall out with my housemates over this.

Thanks
It’s normal for everyone to help clean the gaff, and if someone leaves early perhaps they owe their mates a favour but charging £15 is just weird.

IMO you buy them all a couple beers and say no more, or you help out when they need to a decent size favour.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you don't want to fall out with them then honestly it's just £15, pay it and get it over with
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi

Thanks
Tell your housemates they wasted their time. The agent will send in the professional cleaners anyway and take the charge off the deposit before returning the deposit. I don't know how many people were in the house but a professional cleaner charged me and my housemate £100 and we had left the flat spotless. No way around it, you will have to pay the professional cleaners so you and your housemates could just as well have left the place in a mess.

Not sure who gets the deposit back? If its one of your housemates, they may take £15 off your part of the deposit anyway.
Guru Jason
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They did that off their own backs. Give them nothing. Maybe buy them a drink at the pub if your feeling generous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (55)
8.89%
Confident (81)
13.09%
Indifferent (89)
14.38%
Unsure (159)
25.69%
Worried (235)
37.96%

Watched Threads

Latest