Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I handed mine in at the start of September and it's doubtful they'll get in touch with me now. Bizarre situation really. I just handed it to a guy who worked there and he said he'd sort it out for me...

Plus do they actually go through every single application? Maybe I actually gave it in too early.

I'm not counting on hearing anything back from them now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I gave mine in at like the end of August, they phoned me up on saturday and asked me if I am still looking for a job.
    I have a interview next saturday, anybody know what to expect?

ReputationRep:
    Is it a group or proper interview? If its a group one thens theres loads of suggestions of what usually happens but varies from store to store in this thread. Not sure about proper one on one ones though......

Still not heard back, I've gave up now! :P lol

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a Team Leader with Argos and did the recruiting for weekday staff (usually one to one interviews) so if you have any questions, fire away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo2204)
    I used to be a Team Leader with Argos and did the recruiting for weekday staff (usually one to one interviews) so if you have any questions, fire away.
    how long does it take for them to get back to you if you're successful?
    and also, how how is the best way to give in your application form, by hand or through post?
    I gave mine into the store to someone like a week and a half ago, but i got no reply.

ReputationRep:
    It is probably best to hand deliver it to the Customer Services desk.

They do usually take them straight round to the Admin Office. In the store where I worked, the manager would decide in August sometime how many temporary staff the store required for Christmas, split into weekday workers and weekend. Say, they decided they needed 60 part time weekday workers for the Christmas period, it was usually the case that the budget allowed 10 people to be recruited one week and say 5 the next, 8 the week after and so on until the quota was reached.

What happened was the applications were initially sifted and those suitable in terms of flexibility were placed into a box file until we knew how many we needed. Once we knew, the applications would be gone through again and those selected were called in for an interview (2 or 3 days would be blocked out with half hour slots for each interview and a decision made after the last interview on say the 3rd day). I always rang up but some stores do use the template letter on the intranet. Any new applications received during this process would again be sifted and contacted until such time as the quota was reached but by that time the Store should be rights not accept any further applications/not give any new ones out.

If you applied using one of the Christmas Temporary applications forms, it will state on there somewhere that if you dont hear anything within 3 weeks (I think) that you can assume that you have been unsuccessful (no letter or contact will be made) If it was a normal white application form, they should have to contact you with a reply usually within 2 weeks (again depends store to store).

With Xmas temps, there were obviously those that werent going to get an offer (didnt fill out the application form correctly, unable to read the handwriting, perhaps too young - you have to be 16 but some people turn 16 while still at school but its very difficult due to employment laws etc and breaks etc etc) but sometimes there would be ones that perhaps didnt quite meet the requirements, ie hours they could do etc so they would then go into the 2nd sift as it were and then invited for interview even though it was past 3 weeks.

We kept all the applications until Christmas before they were disposed of (or they were lucky to be offered a permanent job). The main key with the temporary staff was flexibility. Argos "loves" flexibility so the more hours that you could possibly do the better. If you play football/rugby etc on a Sunday so can only work on Saturdays, you are less likely to be offered a job compared to someone who can do both Saturdays and Sundays (obviously not always the rule and dont quote me but thats generally their way of thinking).

Weekday staff are classed as being able to work Monday to Friday anytime from when the store opens (usually 9 am) until close of business (depends on the store). If the store closes at 8 pm you would obviously stand a better chance if you could work those hours. If you could also work weekends then great.
    Weekend staff were those again who could work from opening to closing Saturday and Sunday with additional hours say perhaps reguarly one evening a week if the store opens til 8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Live82005)
    I handed mine in at the start of September and it's doubtful they'll get in touch with me now. Bizarre situation really. I just handed it to a guy who worked there and he said he'd sort it out for me...

Plus do they actually go through every single application? Maybe I actually gave it in too early.

I'm not counting on hearing anything back from them now anyway.
    I handed in mine that time too. I'd pretty much given up hope, but they rang me like 10 minutes ago and invited me to intervuew, so they might get to you.. eventually!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether I have a group interview or a one to one.
    I've just been asked to go to a 'selection day'
    What sort of questions do they ask in a interview?

ReputationRep:
    Selection days are usually like a group interview, team building etc etc.

I used to base my interviews:

Introductions, who I was and what my role was (ie Customer Services Team Leader responsible for ensuring the store runs smoothly on a daily basis. Ensuring enough staff on tills, Customer services and collections etc so no Q's form. Also ensure the shop floor (catologues/brochures etc) was kept clean and tidy with responsibilty for the displays/baskets etc.

Ask them who they were and what they were doing at present, ie college/uni and talk about that for a bit

I used to ask them what they knew about Argos in general (ie catalogue company selling a variety of products and lines)

Do you shop at Argos often. If so, how did you find the experience, (ie was it slow waiting for your goods, stuff out of stock etc etc)

What ways do you know of a customer can purchase goods (online, over the phone, instore, reservations etc) and how to pay (cash, card, at the tills, or quick pay kiosks, vouchers etc)

I then went on to explain the process involved when the customer purchased their goods (ie go to till and each item that they buy produces a stock ticket that gets printed off in the store room, member of staff collects that item from correct shelf/bay etc and places it at the collection point for hte customer to collect). Also shop split into 2 - shop floor (anything that the customer sees to the stock room (behind the collections counter)

Talked about the hours you could do (my manager was all for flexibility) and discussed when the store was open, how the hours worked etc)

Discussed pay and rate per hour (according to your age) and how the pay works, also about the uniforms.

Talked how the job is manual with ladders etc, heavy loads, sometimes dirty etc, health and safety.

The Argos ethos of "fast, friendly and efficient" and ask you what you think it means. (exactly what is says, Argos provide a fast service with a friendly smile and chat and extremely efficient at doing your job without any hassle to the customer or inconvenience!)

I asked interviewees what they thought they could bring to Argos (ie teamwork, friendly, get on well with others, you will always try to ensure Customer is happy with everything, keeping them informed if there is a delay etc, keen worker - basically the usual)

Explained sometimes customers get angry, how would you cope with it, what action would you take.

What sort of shopping experience should a customer have?

Thats basically it (however this is one to one interviews - selection days/recruitment evenings etc are different in that you dont necessarily have that kind of interview but role playing).

Typical staff in store

Stockroom staff (responsible for putting away stock delivered from warehouse - not normally trained in other aspects of Argos)

Stockroom Team Leader (stockroom staff supervisor)

Customer Advisors (usually trained in all aspects of working at Argos - tills, collection counter, Customer services and stock - very rarely trained on jewellery or ED Dept)

Customer Service Team Leaders (responsible for the smooth running of the store ie ensuring enough staff at each station, responsible for the look of the shop floor - first point of contact if customer unhappy with service)

Stock Team Leader (similar to CSTL - responsible for the Stock area ensuring enough pickers to collect the items, staff whilst in stock room, the returns/exchanges etc)

ED Team Leader (responsible for the jewellery dept and any staff assigned there)

Stock Manager (senior manager - oversees Stock TL and Stockroom TL and all associated paperwork/management skills - acts as Deputy Manager when Manager away)

Customer Services Supervisor (senior manager - oversees all aspects of customer services, ED, TL's and implementing any new procedures etc - duty manager when required)

Admin Support Manager (senior manager - responsible for all admin issues, cash office, duty manager when required). Also usually responsible for recruiting, not normally a CS Team Leaders job!

Manager - no description required!

ReputationRep:
    -snip-
    I have an interview on Saturday, so is it quite an informal interview?
    Just shirt and trousers appropriate?

Hope I get it, could do with the money... :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you feel comfortable in a tie I would wear one but there is no written dress code (but it is obvious if you feel uncomfortable wearing a tie and it will show so make sure you are comfy in what you wear!!). Suit jackets are OTT but black trousers, clean black shoes and a decently pressed shirt (preferably not a highly patterned one with logos all over the place!! LOL) are ok. You would be surprised the amount of people turning up in trousers and casual shoes or even worse, muddy shoes and an unironed or badly pressed shirt. First impressions are always important in any job! (hint - dont wear white socks, it is one of the many things you will be wrongly remembered for!!)

I would say ifs its on a Saturday then its a group session with plenty of role playing, scenarios and getting together in small groups to discuss topics. The team leaders will of course be participating but they will also be watching everything you do and quite possibly taking notes etc but nothing to be alarmed about. Its only so they can remember who did what when it comes to sifting through at the end of the day. They may well take a headshot of you as you enter (for ease of remembering later on) so remember to smile!!

Good luck for Saturday and just remember to relax and enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just a quick question:

I have just been phoned by Argos after sending my Christmas application off a few weeks ago (I thought I wouldn't hear anything, but have just done today), and the lady told me to be there on Tuesday, from 11am - 12:30pm for a "recruitment session". I was just wondering what I can expect for this? I'm a bit worried in case they make me do something odd, haha.

Thanks a lot to anyone who replies.

ReputationRep:
    Read what boo2204 put, I think thats what the recruitment session will consist of.
    Mine is tomorrow so I will post on here what I had to do.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitty_x)
    Read what boo2204 put, I think thats what the recruitment session will consist of.
    Mine is tomorrow so I will post on here what I had to do.
    Good luck
    Ace, thanks a lot I was in a bit of a rush earlier, so will properly read everything now. I'm really scared actually, haha! Good luck to you, too!
    I'm thinking because mine is a rather small branch (even though it's Argos Extra), that they might not make me do overly silly things...though I actually think they will. :p: *trying to forget about it till Tuesday

ReputationRep:
    A "recruitment session" sounds very much like a group interview. Different stores call it different things and its not a set thing either so again each store do them their own way. I only dealt with individual interviews but hopefully I have given people an idea of what Argos are looking for in someone and who Argos is and their way of thinking.

They really are designed to be fun though as obviously they want to see how you react with others working there to see if you are a "team" person. Christmas is the busiest time for Argos and sometimes the most stressful (mainly for team leaders and managers) so they want to make sure that as well as doing your job you can work with everyone else as "team" is a very important word - as each customer will have at least 6 members of staff working for them - tills processing the order, picking their order, giving them their items plus the stock team leader, customer services team leader and a duty manager. Obviously if they want a refund etc or jewellery then you are adding more people to the "team".

Most stores will actually double their staff for Christmas and the majority of them are college/uni students aged 17-20 (although not all of them - I was actually a christmas temp to start with!! I think the oldest person I employed was a 58 year old lady who had recently retired and turned up to her interview in a short skirt and 5 inch stiletto heals. It was her first interview in over 20 years but I did give her the job however because she impressed me in the interview. She was just looking for a temp job to get some extra cash for a holiday but she would have been offered a permanent job because she worked extremely hard, was good at her job and got on well with everyone else working there, despite being old enough to be their grandmother!!) LOL

Good luck for those with a "recruitment session/evening" coming up.

ReputationRep:
    Aw bless that woman! Haha

Plus, thanks a lot for the added information Boo2204! It was very useful.

ReputationRep:
    I know a manager of a store, and apparently they have all been emailed saying not to take staff on till mid November as there not expecting sales to be as good because of the credit crunch, i hate them two words.

ReputationRep:
    Hm,, yeah I have a thing tommorw morning. The woman on the phone just said "interview" so im not sure if it's indvidual or not.

If it's a group how many are normally there?

Ah well, it doesn't matter anyway, Just turn up and see what happens...

ReputationRep:
    I worked at argos for three years, It was absolutely amazing in my store & I loved it!!

I only left cos they wouldn't give me 40 hours a week & I wanted to work up London.

Anyways .. when you go for the group interviews .. be confident!!

I used to do the recruitment evenings quite a bit and I'd put most people through unless they weren't flexible (Like Boo said, Argos LOVE flexible people!), Another reason for not putting someone through would be their clothes, for an interview - dress smart!! Not in tracky bottoms, jeans, dirty trainers? etc!

Just be confident and take part in the group task you will probably have to do, Just something like making a pretend argos Jingle for the radio, Take part and make suggestions! Cos thats what we look for to see how you take initiative and work within a team,

Any questions, just ask!!

Argos is a great place to work & make friends for life

xx

ReputationRep:
    I applied about 2 weeks ago. No reply.

I really want the job. I need money!
    Plus it's really convenient because I live near by, ie. No bus fare!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.