Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whistle_1989)
    I worked at argos for three years, It was absolutely amazing in my store & I loved it!!

I only left cos they wouldn't give me 40 hours a week & I wanted to work up London.

Anyways .. when you go for the group interviews .. be confident!!

I used to do the recruitment evenings quite a bit and I'd put most people through unless they weren't flexible (Like Boo said, Argos LOVE flexible people!), Another reason for not putting someone through would be their clothes, for an interview - dress smart!! Not in tracky bottoms, jeans, dirty trainers? etc!

Just be confident and take part in the group task you will probably have to do, Just something like making a pretend argos Jingle for the radio, Take part and make suggestions! Cos thats what we look for to see how you take initiative and work within a team,

Any questions, just ask!!

Argos is a great place to work & make friends for life

xx
    I wash confidant and ive heard nothing! Ime hoping it is the ban on taking on staff.

Either that or it might of been that i took over the tasks and wouldnt let other people do the bath design. But they where all chavs, and im doing a degree which is heavily focused on design, and you know, i was the best.

ReputationRep:
    Just got home from mine, was meant to be a group, but there were two no-shows so there as just two of us. So they skipped the group task. We just had to go on the shop floor and note good examples/oppurtunities to improve customer service and then we had a simple numeracy test (ie. Make sure these numbers match up with the ones on the left, put these in order from smallest to largest) and then a few standard interview questions alone, discussing the results of the other excercise.

Hope I did alright, think I did Though I did feel like a tit with my shirt/tie combination, when the other person was dressed casually! Hope that goes in my favour...

ReputationRep:
    I've just come back from my interview.

First of all we had to introduce the person next to us, we had to find out things about them favourite food/football team etc then tell the group.

Next we had to design a superhero for argos, for example in mine I gave him lots of arms so he could do more tasks at once, lots of ears to listen to lots of customers etc.

Then we had go to the shop floor to list the positives and negatives of how things are presented and how things operate, then report back to the group.

Finally I had a one to one, which was 3 questions about customer service and teamwork.
    Argos love team so much, so try and mention it as much as you can.

ReputationRep:
    Aw thanks Kitty i'm glad that it seemed to go well for you! It doesn't sound too bad actually fingers crossed mine is similar!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I worked for Argos last year as a temp, only for three weeks as I was taken on pretty late. I wasn't brilliant at the job (ie mispicked a couple of times, ended up dangling off ladders with a microwave etc) and wasn't one of the 14 kept on.. but it was a good place to work, had a lot of laughs with some quality people.
    I reapplied this year, but a mate of mine said they have a policy of not rehiring temps, even though another friend of mine has just started back.. but I think they might have made an exception for her as the only reason she wasn't kept on was because she wasn't trained on collection.
    Meh, I was kinda hoping that if i didn't have anything lined up this year I could conveniently go back.. hmm, they'd rather hire someone with no experience than someone who'd worked there before Doesn't help that my main supervisor has now gone to a different store!
    Does any Argosers know about the rehiring temps policy?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately it really does depend on what they thought of you at the time when you were there and what you were trained on. To be honest being there only 3 weeks doesnt really give any idea of what you are like. I didnt look at previous employee records before I interviewed anyone as not to give an unfair advantage/disadvantage. I would only look at them once I had made a decision to confirm what I thought anyway. Those kept on were usually there for a while beforehand, ie started in September or earlier and were well trained on all areas and had a good rapport with staff and customers. You do get some people who only work at Argos purely as a Christmas temp and leaves soon after to come back year after year. Having only worked 3 weeks I would have to class that (from my perspective only) as not having worked there before so on a level pegging with everyone else. What was you trained on during that time? I would imagine that you were a picker for the majority of the time (being the busiest job during the rush!)

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah, I was only really a picker.. if you can call being given a pick ticket and told to get on with it training!
    I always thought it was a bit unfair comparing my performance at 3 weeks compared with those that started in Sept, but meh. I wrote on the form that I'd worked for Argos before, which would make it fairly obvious though. I would've thought it would have gave me an advantage! :p:
    Oh well.. the ONE customer i dealt with said I was very helpful
    Damn you Argos, I really need a job and i'm well used to the cuts and bruises and being hit on the head with cardboard boxes.. pfft.

ReputationRep:
    I handed in my application on Saturday and talked with a manager for a bit. I'm just wondering when I'll hear back? Can you work christmas day and what are the bonuses?

One of my mates is applying too. Here's hoping we both get in. He's not too bright, but bright enough to work at Argos.

(Owned.:eek: )

ReputationRep:
    I handed my application in last tuesday, got a call for an interview on wednesday, had the interview (one to one) on thursday and got offered the job on friday. It was all a bit surreal to be honest. I start in two weeks time. Stupidly i have yet to ask about the pay, any ideas what i'd get being a 19 year old?

For those wondering about what to wear to the interview - went with black trousers, smart shoes and shirt and tie. But kept it casual enough to not look uncomfortable and to let my character show through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannius)
    I handed my application in last tuesday, got a call for an interview on wednesday, had the interview (one to one) on thursday and got offered the job on friday. It was all a bit surreal to be honest. I start in two weeks time. Stupidly i have yet to ask about the pay, any ideas what i'd get being a 19 year old?

For those wondering about what to wear to the interview - went with black trousers, smart shoes and shirt and tie. But kept it casual enough to not look uncomfortable and to let my character show through.
    I should think it will be the minimum wage (I cant remember what the rate is). There is a rate for 16 year olds, goes up slightly for 17 and then up to minimum wage for 18 and over.

Congratulations on the job! It is hard work but you will enjoy it.

Someone else asked if you work Christmas Day, the answer is no!! The store usually closes at the normal time on Christmas Eve (if the store opens in the evenings then usually closes around 5 ish). The store will be open Boxing Day right through and I think closes again on New Years Day.

As a Christmas temp you may find that your contract ends on Christmas Eve but normally around a week before some people may be asked to extend their contract for another week to stay on until New Years Eve. You will be expected to work Christmas Eve and if your contract is extended for a while expect to work Boxing Day, New Years Eve etc.

A few may be kept on beyond that and the odd one may get a permanent position. Basically, volunteer for anything and everything that needs doing. If you find there isnt enough work for you to do whilst you are picking (unlikely though!!) dont stand around with your hands in your pocket!! Ask someone for a job or even better start clearing and cleaning! Get a load of pens and selection forms and fill up the booths. Tidy up the leaflet stands and refill as necessary. If you spot a gap on one of the shelves, tell someone. If you see rubbish on the floor (leaflets, leaves, selection forms etc) pick it up. Ensure all the rubbish bins are empty (also around the quick pay machines). If you are really at a loss, pick a bay and tidy it ensuring no overhanging boxes etc. Help out on collections if they are busy and you arent.

Your contract will usually be 15 hours a week (weekday staff) and 6 hours (weekend) and for the first couple of weeks or so, that is all you will get (for training etc). After that, let it be known to the manager or Sales Support that you can do more hours and are willing to.

All these things will help get you noticed by the team leaders etc, who will then pass on their thoughts to the manager who ultimately decides how long you will be working there!! Obviously there are no guarantees on being kept on beyond Christmas Eve etc but hopefully the pointers above may help

Remember though, yes it is busy (especially when the customer start complaining that they have been waiting 20 minutes - usually only 8 in reality!!) BUT have fun!!! Enjoy it, have a laugh and dont stress out!!

ReputationRep:
    I gave in my application a week ago for the job of xmas temp, will they get back to you whether you've been successful or not or is it one of those if you haven't heard from us you've been unsuccessful things??

ReputationRep:
    If you filled in a specific christmas temp application form then no you will not hear if you have been unsuccessful. It does state on the form (very small writing!!) that if you dont hear within 2 weeks (could be 3) then assume you have been unsuccessful. Some stores will write and tell you anyway (I did) but they dont have to.

ReputationRep:
    I have a missed call off Argos and a voicemail but I don't have credit to listen to the voicemail.
    However i've already accepted another job, what should I say over the phone if they phone me back?

ReputationRep:
    Working anywhere interesting?

/is from heywood

ReputationRep:
    Debenhams in Oldham

ReputationRep:
    hey i applied to argos 2 and a half weeks ago, still no reply. does anyone know whats happening i need a jobbbb please help

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm going to my induction evening thing tonight does anybody know If I will hear if iv been succesful tonight or will they contact me later?

ReputationRep:
    Dont think so. Depends on the individual store and how many are participating in the induction evening. We usually had groups of around 20 odd and took photos of everyone at the start (faces only) and these were put with your applications and any notes made during the evening. We usually ran 2/3 group sessions during a 2 week period and only informed people after that (usually within a couple of days after the last session). Of course we had choices in mind but nothing was finalised until the end depending on numbers required.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks,I hope I get it

ReputationRep:
    I've just got credit today and listened to my voicemail, they invited me to a induction the saturday just gone. Hmm.
    They could of tried my house phone, owell.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.