The Student Room Group

Is working in a care home an okay part time job for a gap year?

Is there a better job? I could work at a care home 12 hours one day a week which is about £100 in that day. But the stuff I would have to do isn’t so pleasant and the environment can be a bit depressing. It would be nice to work just one day a week though. Are there more pleasant jobs for an 18 year old?
It is a job that I hope brings some rewards beyond money. Just make sure there is adequate PPE so that you minimise the chances of Covid 19, or if you get Covid 19, it is not passed on to others.
It is challenging and hard work but it will give you some money and work always looks good on a cv, especially something like care where you get a lot of experience dealing with people, being patient, responsible, caring etc. All great qualities for a future job and can be referenced in applications / interviews. i know a few people who work in care and they prefer the night shifts jf that's something you can handle.

Other common entry level jobs for students are things like bar work, baristas, shops and restaurants.
(edited 3 years ago)
I think it would be a very rewarding and decent paying job for our age group. I would do it but all care assistant jobs where I live are zero hour contracts, and I’m looking for something stable and permanent :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending