Is working in a care home an okay part time job for a gap year?

Watch
Sretep01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Is there a better job? I could work at a care home 12 hours one day a week which is about £100 in that day. But the stuff I would have to do isn’t so pleasant and the environment can be a bit depressing. It would be nice to work just one day a week though. Are there more pleasant jobs for an 18 year old?
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is a job that I hope brings some rewards beyond money. Just make sure there is adequate PPE so that you minimise the chances of Covid 19, or if you get Covid 19, it is not passed on to others.
Kogomogo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is challenging and hard work but it will give you some money and work always looks good on a cv, especially something like care where you get a lot of experience dealing with people, being patient, responsible, caring etc. All great qualities for a future job and can be referenced in applications / interviews. i know a few people who work in care and they prefer the night shifts jf that's something you can handle.

Other common entry level jobs for students are things like bar work, baristas, shops and restaurants.
Last edited by Kogomogo; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
I think it would be a very rewarding and decent paying job for our age group. I would do it but all care assistant jobs where I live are zero hour contracts, and I’m looking for something stable and permanent
concernedLMAO
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sretep01)
Is there a better job? I could work at a care home 12 hours one day a week which is about £100 in that day. But the stuff I would have to do isn’t so pleasant and the environment can be a bit depressing. It would be nice to work just one day a week though. Are there more pleasant jobs for an 18 year old?
I do this right now and to be honest almost everything else is better, don’t do it unless you’re using it to help a medicine application or similar. While not a huge difference you’ll likely earn an extra quid an hour at the other “min wage” jobs like supermarkets, it’s far more difficult and if you mess up it can kill someone, job involves cleaning **** and getting attacked all day with very little time to actually talk to residents (which is nice). Worst thing I’ve found though is your coworkers, many are rude/lazy/spend all shift playing politics and i can’t ask basic questions (“Have you fed xxxxx?”, “does this soup contain tomatoes?”) to about a third of the people here as they just don’t get it. Only yesterday I got in a 20 min argument with a 40yo after she shorted out the building putting a metal knife in the toaster. Again.

On the other hand some people I work with are amazing and you do get some really nice moments, e.g. 100yo who had zero idea what was going on but would break biscuits you gave her in half and hand half back, loads of residents can’t do anything/don’t speak but will still wave/smile if you wave/smile at them. Overall though this doesn’t come close to making up for the negative aspects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (12)
8.57%
Confident (18)
12.86%
Indifferent (25)
17.86%
Unsure (38)
27.14%
Worried (47)
33.57%

Watched Threads