emily_gray
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey,
I'm in the lower sixth and I'm applying to uni once we go back to school (if we ever do haha)
Durham is my first choice uni, I want to study Film and Visual Arts. obviously with Durham you have the option to apply to a specific college and I just had a couple of questions surrounding that.
firstly: if you get rejected from your college is that it? as in; have you therefore been rejected from Durham as a whole, or will you still have the chance of going to Durham but simply being in a different college from the one you applied to? - in other words, could the college you apply to determine if you get into the university at all.
secondly: if I don't apply to any college (I think it's called an open application?) will that negatively affect my application?

thank you so much
Muser99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No Durham accepts or rejects your application first then if you get an offer you will get a college allocation. They try their best to give you your choice but sometimes you can be reallocated to a different college ( THIS IS RANDOM AND TAKES NO ACCOUNT OF YOUR CATERING PREFERENCES) so you may end up in a totally different type of accomodation. You cannot change your college allocation except for medical reasons. Your allocated college is guaranteed if Durham is your firm but it may change again if it is your insurance after results day (this doesn't happen that often)

An open application doesn't affect anything regarding chances of getting an offer.
Last edited by Muser99; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (3)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
13.33%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (2)
13.33%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (6)
40%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (2)
13.33%

Watched Threads