Is it okay to be gay and dislike pride?

Watch
anonymous11123xo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’m a gay guy and I dislike pride. Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t anger me that it’s a thing and I understand completely why it’s important to the LGBT+ community, but personally I don’t like it.

Many LGBT people have told me that this is a result of internalised homophobia - which I know it’s not. I’m completely and utterly comfortable in my sexuality and I never had that ‘big journey of discovery’, I just knew I was gay and it was all dandy. I’m more masculine than feminine and I feel like pride perpetuates the stereotype that all gay men are feminine also, which contributes to homophobia??

Idk, what do you guys think? Is it okay to be gay and dislike pride.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
It's undoubtedly an unpopular opinion, but if you're gay and don't like pride, it doesn't really make sense.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I mean I can imagine it's quite a controversial opinion within the community - but just because you're part of the LGBT+ community doesn't automatically oblige you to take part in it's movements.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You mean the actual parade and everyone wearing glitter?
Can’t see an issue in that not being your cup of tea. I also have heard many lesbians feel left out.
But the general focus by the rest of the world to highlight gay books or films or games and be generally inclusive seems like a good thing.
Devon_Weston
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why would you not want to be among your own people?
Name:  bike-with-yellow-wall-min_90_0.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  65.5 KB
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by anonymous11123xo)
I’m a gay guy and I dislike pride. Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t anger me that it’s a thing and I understand completely why it’s important to the LGBT+ community, but personally I don’t like it.

Many LGBT people have told me that this is a result of internalised homophobia - which I know it’s not. I’m completely and utterly comfortable in my sexuality and I never had that ‘big journey of discovery’, I just knew I was gay and it was all dandy. I’m more masculine than feminine and I feel like pride perpetuates the stereotype that all gay men are feminine also, which contributes to homophobia??

That's perfectly fine. It's just not your cup of tea, so why should you let anyone hassle you about it?

Not everyone enjoys football. Not everyone goes to pubs. Not everyone likes pepperoni on their pizzas. Some vote Tory, some SNP. Not every person who is L or G or B or T likes Pride.

Get to know what you like, and have a nice life.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Thats a thing?

At any rate nothing wrong with not liking it. I'd consider it somewhat more disturbing people think that someone who is gay should ipso facto like it. somewhat undermines the point of it if you're forced into it :lol:
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Devon_Weston)
Why would you not want to be among your own people?
You make the OP sound like a bunny you've just released into the wild..
Devon_Weston
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
You make the OP sound like a bunny you've just released into the wild..
I never meant it to come across that way, I was merely curious about why the op wouldn't want to be with his own kind of people?
leopard202
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nothing wrong with it IMO.

You can agree with the purpose and needs for a movement/community but not be 100% on board with some of the way they go about things or the limited way they can represent themselves/be received by those outside it. Everything ends up developing a 'slogan' or distinguished manner of some kind, and being inclusive in nature doesn't change this - You might not feel it quite represents you the ways you want to be represented.
Otherdjrj
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No, it’s illegal

This post right here officer
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
It's fine, although I think you should specify that you disike the event rather than the concept, as those are two different things. One of my best friends is gay and he hates the Pride events for the same reasons, although he is very proud to be gay.
anonymous11123xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
It's fine, although I think you should specify that you disike the event rather than the concept, as those are two different things. One of my best friends is gay and he hates the Pride events for the same reasons, although he is very proud to be gay.
But I wouldn’t necessarily say I’m ‘proud’ to be gay either? For me, pride is something you have when you ACHIEVE something. I was born gay and therefore it’s not an achievement at all, and for me coming out wasn’t either - it was pretty easy.
anonymous11123xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Otherdjrj)
No, it’s illegal

This post right here officer
lol
(Original post by Devon_Weston)
I never meant it to come across that way, I was merely curious about why the op wouldn't want to be with his own kind of people?
Sexuality, for me, isn’t a significant part of my life. I find unity based on sexual orientation irritating - I wanna hang out with people who have similar interests to me, not purely because they’re also gay.
anonymous11123xo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Catherine1973)
You mean the actual parade and everyone wearing glitter?
Can’t see an issue in that not being your cup of tea. I also have heard many lesbians feel left out.
But the general focus by the rest of the world to highlight gay books or films or games and be generally inclusive seems like a good thing.
Yeah pretty much. I understand the actual message behind it, but I just personally dislike the parades. I also wouldn’t say I’m ‘proud to be gay’ - for me, pride is something you have when you ACHIEVE something, not something you’re merely born as.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Many people wish for their personal life to be private, regardless of whether they are straight, gay, or whatever label/description they choose.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I suppose the answer to that depends on the reasons why you 'dislike' it. I can appreciate that it's not your 'thing', and that's fine. But it clearly is for lots of other people, so I'm not sure why you'd 'dislike' it as such: wouldn't you just sort of end up being fairly neutral about it. Either way, I'm sure it's nothing to do with 'internalised homophobia' - that just sounds like someone trying to create a narrative.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’ve spoken to a few gay men who don’t agree with pride because they think it’s outdated and shows gay people in a bad light. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even though people like Biden think that all members of a minority group should think in exactly the same way. That view is incredibly bigoted in my opinion and quite dehumanising in a way. The internalised homophobia/misogyny/transphobia line is sometimes used by the majority in order to dismiss the minority opinion.
Alesha1991
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Personally I like Pride but I understand everyone has different tastes so if it's not your thing then fair enough. I wouldn't call it internalised homophobia- I don't really like that term anyway to me it implies all LGBT people ought to think a certain way- same with internalised racism/sexism. Yes you can point to examples where people have bought into homophobic [or racist, sexist etc] stereotypes but often people can get labelled as having internalised attitudes when they'rejust expressing a different view.

Yeah pretty much. I understand the actual message behind it, but I just personally dislike the parades. I also wouldn’t say I’m ‘proud to be gay’ - for me, pride is something you have when you ACHIEVE something, not something you’re merely born as.
For me pride is more about people feeling free to be themselves and to celebrate who they are. I wouldn't say I'm 'proud' to be bisexual in the sense of being proud just for the sake of it. Like you say it's not something I chose or worked to achieve- it's just how I turned out. But for me Pride is about celebrating the fact I live in a society where I can be open about who I am and I really enjoy the atmosphere of Pride events. If it's not a term you want to use then I agree it comes down to personal choice.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It's undoubtedly an unpopular opinion, but if you're gay and don't like pride, it doesn't really make sense.
There are homosexual people who don't like 'PRIDE', because they believe such manifestations are counter-productive, and make normally indifferent people afraid of, or agressive towards homosexuals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you want Freshers' Fairs to work this year?

Completely online (9)
14.06%
A mix of in-person and online options (9)
14.06%
As many in-person events as is safe to do (40)
62.5%
I don't plan on attending a Freshers' Fair (6)
9.38%

Watched Threads