theywereblue
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So when studying A-Levels in Year 12 at my school, we start off doing 4 AS-Level subjects and then at the end of Year 12 we drop one and continue the other 3 into A-Levels. I was wondering how much the grade I get in the subject I drop after AS will impact my application to medicine / Oxbridge if I get, say, a C? My head of sixth form was unsure because having an extra AS level on top of the 3 required A-Levels is a good thing, but having it at a grade C or below feels as though it's more of a negative thing to have than a positive one, despite it being an extra qualification.
Note: We haven't received results yet of course, so I don't yet know what I have, but I worry that it will be bad and want to clarify for myself how much of an impact it will have.
Thanks in advance!!
Turtle01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This might be a bit of a downer but I don't think it will look good to Oxbridge. Personally I dropped my 4th before AS, though I know that's not really an option for you. I think they'd much rather have 3 fantastic A Levels than 4 sort of okay ones, or 3 great and one not so great, if that makes sense.
Turtle01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Turtle01)
This might be a bit of a downer but I don't think it will look good to Oxbridge. Personally I dropped my 4th before AS, though I know that's not really an option for you. I think they'd much rather have 3 fantastic A Levels than 4 sort of okay ones, or 3 great and one not so great, if that makes sense.
But in any case, even if it's a C, if you're getting the grades in other subjects to apply to Oxbridge, there are going to be loads of unis keen to have you studying with them, so don't worry too much. And you might be worrying needlessly, I know I was this year and it turned out fine :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (34)
7.98%
Confident (56)
13.15%
Indifferent (60)
14.08%
Unsure (110)
25.82%
Worried (166)
38.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise