rachellouise21
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi so I am starting year 12 in sept and am still debating my options. So I have picked Maths, Economics, Psychology and Sociology + an EPQ. I definitely want to do Maths and Econ but I'm not sure what to do for the rest. At our school we can either do 3 subjects + EPQ or 4 subjects. I've asked and I can start of with 4 subjects but will have to drop one in order to pick up EPQ. I am really confused and not sure what to do.

4 subjects or 3 subjects + EPQ? Shall I start with 4 subjects then drop one and pick EPQ later on ? Will picking up EPQ later on have an effect?

Also if anyone has done psychology or sociology which one should I do? I plan to do Econ at uni so sociology is more relevant but I feel like I will enjoy psychology more? Is it difficult, are the essays hard?

Thank you so much!
ira.m
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In my experience I did 4 subjects to begin with which was Chem, Bio, Econ, psychology and ended up dropping psych and picked up an EPQ. From my experience i found it easier to manage doing 3 subjects and an EPQ because the subjects i do are very heavy. You got to remember maths will be very very difficult at A-Level most of my friends are complaining about it so much so i would definitely think about doing 3 subjects+EPQ so you could focus on the hardest subjects more, especially if you're adding a heavy writing based subject like psychology or sociology.
Jizzbobaggins
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! I do psych and I have friends that do sociology. From what I understand sociology has a lot more essays than psych, and psych Really doesn’t have too many. They’re both a lot of memory, sociology has more brief summaries of experiments and laws and some history and concepts in general from my understanding. I do OCR psychology and that’s a lot of content to memorise. Over year 12 we did the 5 different approaches, each one having the assumptions, relationship formation, therapy,therapy evaluation, an experiment, and a contemporary debate. And also research methods but sociology also does that I’m pretty sure. I don’t think unis really look too much at what subjects you do- usually it’s like 1 science or an essay writing subject- look into the entry requirements for different uni courses and do a little bit of research on each topic I did sociology at GCSE and absolutely hated it- and I would say if you don’t enjoy it it will be harder bc it’s a lot of work and stuff to remember, but I feel that same goes for psych. Don’t stress too much, a lot of people in my school switched topics so if you start one and don’t enjoy it it’s very likely you’ll be able to switch. In summary I’d kinda say sociology is more about societies issues,and theories on how certain thinks help or disadvantage society, and psych is more about why people behave the way they do and how different things influence us as individuals. Hope this helped sorry i rambled haha
Bl and Wh Army L
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well I have to take Chem, Boi and Physics for my GCSEs and Boi is my fave. Ypu get to rip apart frogs and pig hearts
rachellouise21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ira.m)
In my experience I did 4 subjects to begin with which was Chem, Bio, Econ, psychology and ended up dropping psych and picked up an EPQ. From my experience i found it easier to manage doing 3 subjects and an EPQ because the subjects i do are very heavy. You got to remember maths will be very very difficult at A-Level most of my friends are complaining about it so much so i would definitely think about doing 3 subjects+EPQ so you could focus on the hardest subjects more, especially if you're adding a heavy writing based subject like psychology or sociology.
Thank you so much! Can I just ask, how far along did you drop psych and pick up an EPQ? And were you behind or not?
rachellouise21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jizzbobaggins)
Hi! I do psych and I have friends that do sociology. From what I understand sociology has a lot more essays than psych, and psych Really doesn’t have too many. They’re both a lot of memory, sociology has more brief summaries of experiments and laws and some history and concepts in general from my understanding. I do OCR psychology and that’s a lot of content to memorise. Over year 12 we did the 5 different approaches, each one having the assumptions, relationship formation, therapy,therapy evaluation, an experiment, and a contemporary debate. And also research methods but sociology also does that I’m pretty sure. I don’t think unis really look too much at what subjects you do- usually it’s like 1 science or an essay writing subject- look into the entry requirements for different uni courses and do a little bit of research on each topic I did sociology at GCSE and absolutely hated it- and I would say if you don’t enjoy it it will be harder bc it’s a lot of work and stuff to remember, but I feel that same goes for psych. Don’t stress too much, a lot of people in my school switched topics so if you start one and don’t enjoy it it’s very likely you’ll be able to switch. In summary I’d kinda say sociology is more about societies issues,and theories on how certain thinks help or disadvantage society, and psych is more about why people behave the way they do and how different things influence us as individuals. Hope this helped sorry i rambled haha
Thank you for your advice it was really helpful! Psych defo sounds like more my thing, will have to think about it a bit more.
Bl and Wh Army L
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
what is 50 x 1/2 x 2/3 x 3/4 x … 98/99 x 99/100
ira.m
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by rachellouise21)
Thank you so much! Can I just ask, how far along did you drop psych and pick up an EPQ? And were you behind or not?
so i dropped psychology like one month into 6th form, with an EPQ, my school organises it as an enrichment so i was already doing it from the beginning. But honestly it all depends when you want to submit it, like I'm submitting mine in October time, so i have plenty of time. As long as you keep yourself with and set yourself deadlines you will be okay
rachellouise21
Rep:
?
(Original post by ira.m)
so i dropped psychology like one month into 6th form, with an EPQ, my school organises it as an enrichment so i was already doing it from the beginning. But honestly it all depends when you want to submit it, like I'm submitting mine in October time, so i have plenty of time. As long as you keep yourself with and set yourself deadlines you will be okay
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (34)
8%
Confident (55)
12.94%
Indifferent (60)
14.12%
Unsure (110)
25.88%
Worried (166)
39.06%

Watched Threads

Latest