Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For my friends 21st we're all dressing up as gangsters, but i have no idea what to wear?! :o:

I know the whole idea is black and white and what not.. But where can you find a hat? And i don't own anything black for the bottom.. (I own white shorts but i'm guessing that's not really gangsterish?!) Nor do i own a waist coat.. without having to go out and spend loads is there any way i can get around this??

I don't mind spending a little bit of money - but as it's fancy dress, i'd rather it either be cheap / something i can wear again...

Help :p:

ReputationRep:
    black and white? im so confused - since when did gangsters only wear black and white?
    do you mean gangsters from like the 1920's? or modern ones?
    CONFUSED.

ReputationRep:
    I went out as a gangster a few month ago. I wore a black trilby, black shirt, black jeans and white braces an tie, looked good. You could get away with wearing white shorts an black shirt maybe?

I got my braces an tie cheap off ebay :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be gangsters in the 1920's era as all fancy dressed events are usually based around that time with regards to gangsters.

Hmmm wear something like a trilby hat, a pinstriped skirt and a pinstriped blazar jacket with a pair of tights and a killer pair of stilletos....

Awww an don't forget to pop over to somewhere such as Toys'r'us to get a black pistol.

Afterall if you want to be a gangsters moll then you got to have the weapons on stand by.

Try your local fancy dress stores most of them are really cheap because you just hire them and send them back.

Or look through fancy dress sites online I found a couple.

http://www.dressingupboxonline.co.uk...t=78&prod=1966

ReputationRep:
    i'd imagine primark would have some cheap things you could for your outfit. waistcoats, ties, pinstripe trousers, blazers...

ReputationRep:
    Buy Timberland shoes, them funky ones on sale at JD at the moment. They'll give you the complete look with the correct outfit :cool:

ReputationRep:
    If you're going as a gangsters girl, then it just gives you an excuse to buy an amazing little black dress and show everyone your hotness

ReputationRep:
    A flapper style dress would do it.

When I last did it with my friends, some of us wore black shirts with white ties and some did the opposite, black smart shorts, boots/shoes. One of my friends worse a black playsuit with a white shirt which looked great as she's really slim.
    The hat makes the outfit - fancy dress shop, some cheap white ribbon and you're done!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.