tigera111
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Can someone explain how to name aromatic compounds please I really dont get phenyl and benzene etc when you're naming.
username5064508
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If the benzene ring is the main functional group, then the suffix is '-benzene' and the prefixes represent additional functional groups. Examples of this are chlorobenzene (C5H5Cl) and methylbenzene (C6H5CH3). This rule mainly applies for halogen and alkane functional groups, but can be used for salts, aldehydes, and carboxylic acids based on the benzene ring.

If the main functional group is not the benzene ring, then the prefix becomes 'phenyl-' and the main functional group takes the suffix, for example phenylamine (C6H5NH2) and phenylethanone (C6H5COCH3)

Unfortunately this is not a hard and fast rule, and there's not really a way to tell which functional groups take priority.

For example, some carbonyls use 'phenyl' such as phenylethanone and phenol (C6H5OH), but aromatic aldehydes and carboxylic acids do not, e.g. benzaldehyde (C6H5CHO) and benzoic acid (C6H5COOH)

Overall you should just try to learn which ones use which naming convention.

Sorry this is such a long explanation, but I hope it helps a little.
tigera111
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by HRobson_BMC)
If the benzene ring is the main functional group, then the suffix is '-benzene' and the prefixes represent additional functional groups. Examples of this are chlorobenzene (C5H5Cl) and methylbenzene (C6H5CH3). This rule mainly applies for halogen and alkane functional groups, but can be used for salts, aldehydes, and carboxylic acids based on the benzene ring.

If the main functional group is not the benzene ring, then the prefix becomes 'phenyl-' and the main functional group takes the suffix, for example phenylamine (C6H5NH2) and phenylethanone (C6H5COCH3)

Unfortunately this is not a hard and fast rule, and there's not really a way to tell which functional groups take priority.

For example, some carbonyls use 'phenyl' such as phenylethanone and phenol (C6H5OH), but aromatic aldehydes and carboxylic acids do not, e.g. benzaldehyde (C6H5CHO) and benzoic acid (C6H5COOH)

Overall you should just try to learn which ones use which naming convention.

Sorry this is such a long explanation, but I hope it helps a little.
It has thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (54)
29.51%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
22.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.74%
No - I live at home during term anyway (48)
26.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise