The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield Uni

Hi I’ve accepted an offer to study engineering with a foundation year at Sheffield. I’ve never actually costed Sheffield in person.

I’m looking for accommodation big really like the uni ones, I’d prefer my own studio/flat/apartment. Does anyone know of any good ones close to uni, or know what areas I should be looking in. I’d like a good area, close to uni.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
They have a studio but it’s priced at like £234 per week
Hi!

I've lived in Uni city accommodation in my first year (Allen Court) in an Ensuite room. I only had to share the kitchen with my flatmates but otherwise, I had my own bathroom and everything else. I chose to live in Allen Court specifically since my department was literally 2 minutes away from my accommodation so I chose convenience over anything else because I'm lazy haha! I'm studying Materials Science and Engineering here so the Engineering departments are extremely close to Uni city accommodations like Broad Lane and Allen Court.

If you would prefer to live somewhere else in a studio, I'd suggest you to look around the area near 'The Diamond.' The Diamond is the main Engineering building so you would have most of your labs and lectures there thus you can look for some studio accommodation around that area.

I think here you can see the different types of rooms available at the Uni and they have 360-degree virutal tours too: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommod.../undergraduate
You can also contact the accommodation team if you have any further specific queries: [email protected]

Please feel free to ask me anything else too! :biggrin:

-Sanchari
Is Sheffield as a city diverse? And Muslims and black people? I just don’t want to feel as if I’m the only one-
Original post by Anonymous
Is Sheffield as a city diverse? And Muslims and black people? I just don’t want to feel as if I’m the only one-

Yes it is😊

It's fine plus the uni is diverse as well, although a lot of Chinese students.
As for accommodation then in Y1 I would choose uni owned for the social aspect and being with other freshers.
There are tons of private student halls as well with new ones going up all the time.

Find out where your lectures are and then you can decide how far you wish to walk.
Use google maps and google streetmap.
Sheffield has loads of accommodation.

Just realised you you do wnat uni owned so will leave it to others plus you understanding where places like ranmoor and endcliffe are.

Hey!

Although this has already got some responses, it's worth mentioning that the University of Sheffield (i.e. not only the city itself) is very diverse too. Our Students' Union has countless societies that every student can join, amongst which are cultural & national societies as well. In the past few years, many of them participated in an International Food Day event where the members of each society cooked some of their national dishes and it was such a cool experience to try different foods from all over the world. They also participate in cultural events where they perform some national dances. It's a really cool way of discovering other cultures, getting involved in a society that reflects your own culture and being part of a community of people with the same cultural background. I'm Romanian and it was such an amazing feeling to find out that there's a Romanian Society at Freshers' Fair. I highly highly recommend exploring what the SU has to offer in this regard. You can find the cultural & national societies here: https://yoursu.sheffield.ac.uk/groups?group_type=club-society-595&group_cat=international&search=

I can tell you more about this if you're interested, feel free to ask if anything else comes to mind :smile:

Andreea
2nd Year
BA Politics & Philosophy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending