Daizui
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I’m interested in studying at a conservatoire but am unsure on whether I’ll be able to get in (I’m currently in year 12)
The ones I’m thinking of applying to are the RNCM, RWCMD And Royal Birmingham. (Also Bangor university and Chichester as I think I’ll be capable of getting in to these two (also considering the royal Holloway).

My main instrument is the flute in which I got my grade 8 in year 11 (although only a pass) and I’m currently working on my dipABRSM.(been playing for 11 years)
I’ll hopefully be doing my grade 8 saxophone this summer (they’re still deciding whether they’ll go ahead). (Being playing for just under 3)
Also aiming for my grade 5 clarinet this winter (been playing for a month or something) aswell as my grade 6 piano. (Also got my grade 6 music theory last year)

I’ve had mixed feedback in that some are saying I’ll have absolutely no problem whilst others are saying that the only people who get in got their grade 8 at age 11 have multiple diplomas and went to a junior conservatoire (not possible for me as none are close by) which is why I’d like more feedback on the actual requirements for Conservatoire’s (I know the websites say grade 8 distinction standard but I’m sure in actuality it’s higher)

As a side note I’m also thinking about hull... heard mixed reviews about it But it only requires grade 6 so I’m unsure whether to get rid of one of the Conservatoire’s give up and just go there instead...

Also I don’t want to take a Gap year....
Last edited by Daizui; 1 week ago
Bindle
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why would you need to give up one of your conservatoire choices in order to apply to Hull? They are via different application systems so you can apply to both.
Conservatoires are extremely competitive especially on an instrument like the flute but why not give it a go and audition if you have the support of your instrumental teacher and the cash for the audition fees? Otherwise you may always wonder. They will be looking for an extremely high standard however and also orchestral and solo performance experience but not necessarily junior college. Another thing to note is that most applicants would have their audition pieces chosen by this point (auditions are Oct/Nov with Welsh usually being one of the earliest but who Knows this year!) RNCM have a set piece for flute you’d have to learn.
On the other hand, Unis like Chichester like multi instrumentalists but conservatoires are not generally so keen in my experience. They want musicians with a single focus. It sounds like it may not be a case of whether you’d be good enough to get in but more would it suit you or would you be happier somewhere with a more diverse approach?
Daizui
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Bindle)
Why would you need to give up one of your conservatoire choices in order to apply to Hull? They are via different application systems so you can apply to both.
Conservatoires are extremely competitive especially on an instrument like the flute but why not give it a go and audition if you have the support of your instrumental teacher and the cash for the audition fees? Otherwise you may always wonder. They will be looking for an extremely high standard however and also orchestral and solo performance experience but not necessarily junior college. Another thing to note is that most applicants would have their audition pieces chosen by this point (auditions are Oct/Nov with Welsh usually being one of the earliest but who Knows this year!) RNCM have a set piece for flute you’d have to learn.
On the other hand, Unis like Chichester like multi instrumentalists but conservatoires are not generally so keen in my experience. They want musicians with a single focus. It sounds like it may not be a case of whether you’d be good enough to get in but more would it suit you or would you be happier somewhere with a more diverse approach?
Thank you so much for replying! I was told that I could only apply to 5 places (Conservatoire’s and unis included together) which was why I was panicking that I had placed my hopes too high. (I do have pieces that’d I’d like to play for the auditions that I’ve worked on so that’s not a problem). I still haven’t decided for sure since as you said I’d probably enjoy a more diverse approach as for quite a few years now I’ve been learning all of my instruments at the same time however it doesn’t change the fact that I’d never quite gotten comfortable on anything other than the flute (perhaps minus the sax). My dream is to someday play in west end and broadway shows hence why I was looking at more known and high up places. Your reply was really helpful!! Thank you so much
anaindiemood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there! I’ve received an offer to study flute for this year at the RNCM so may be able to offer some insight! I think something that might be useful for you is to get in touch with some of your preferred conservatories and ask for a consultation lesson. These are just essentially taster lessons with one of the flute tutors where they’ll give you very honest feedback about what you need to improve on in order to be successful at audition-they may also indicate whether you of the right standard. What you are saying is true to an extent-I myself went to junior conservatoire and passed grade 8 with distinction at age 12 but a certificate doesn’t really matter, it’s how you perform at audition. The RNCM and RWCMD are much easier to get in than the London conservatories that’s for sure...

You also need to decide whether it’s performing music you want to pursue or academic music as this will influence whether you’d rather stick to conservatoire(performance based) courses or uni applications which focus more on academic music. It’s also worth noting that UCAS conservatories is a completely different system to UCAS for normal universities so that means you can apply to 5 conservatories but also 5 universities if you so wish! Hope this helped somewhat and if you have any questions I’d be happy to help!
welcometotherock
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I’d look at Huddersfield rather than Hull as it’s always had a very good reputation. Then depending on your academic grades places like Leeds, Manchester, York, Southampton, Birmingham & KCL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.65%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.22%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.88%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (97)
21.8%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.89%
I haven't started researching yet (47)
10.56%

Watched Threads