Ruelynn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What's the difference between a B1 and a B for English? Syllabus 0500 if we're being specific, First language as well

I have an A in English FLE however my uni refuses to accept it and the closest grade requirement on the website was B1.
Carl Heymann 77
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey there, from what you are describing, it seems to me that your uni prefers a different exam board to the one where you scored an A. B1 is a level, not necessarily the grade (I can be tested at B1 level English and receive an A). Your best recourse would be to ask them which exam board they would prefer, and then you could examine yourself at the B1 level which your uni seeks (which having scored an A in English FLE would not be a problem).
Let me know if this helped, as I am studying German and am pretty familiar with the international language levels should you require any further help...
Carl Heymann 77
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ruelynn)
What's the difference between a B1 and a B for English? Syllabus 0500 if we're being specific, First language as well

I have an A in English FLE however my uni refuses to accept it and the closest grade requirement on the website was B1.
Here is a link explaining the different levels:
https://www.efset.org/cefr/b1/
Ruelynn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carl Heymann 77)
Hey there, from what you are describing, it seems to me that your uni prefers a different exam board to the one where you scored an A. B1 is a level, not necessarily the grade (I can be tested at B1 level English and receive an A). Your best recourse would be to ask them which exam board they would prefer, and then you could examine yourself at the B1 level which your uni seeks (which having scored an A in English FLE would not be a problem).
Let me know if this helped, as I am studying German and am pretty familiar with the international language levels should you require any further help...
This was actually really helpful! I'll contact them to ask, and I'll check out the link you provided. Thank you so much cause I've been confused for months and the english requirements they had up really weren't very helpful on explaining it.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think everyone is getting confused here. You took CAIE English, syallbus 0500 https://www.cambridgeinternational.o...2-syllabus.pdf and you have an A with a 1 (the highest grade) in the optional Speaking and Listening test (see p7).

I can't see why a university wouldn't accept it - UK universities normally do, although maybe mentioning the 1 has confused them and made them think the B1 is a CEFR level. Try going back to them to explain you have an A in IGCSE English First Language and that the 1 is just a distraction.
Ruelynn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
I think everyone is getting confused here. You took CAIE English, syallbus 0500 https://www.cambridgeinternational.o...2-syllabus.pdf and you have an A with a 1 (the highest grade) in the optional Speaking and Listening test (see p7).

I can't see why a university wouldn't accept it - UK universities normally do, although maybe mentioning the 1 has confused them and made them think the B1 is a CEFR level. Try going back to them to explain you have an A in IGCSE English First Language and that the 1 is just a distraction.
Oh no, I didn't mention an 'A1' to them, just an 'A'. I was just trying to figure out what the number alongside meant. On the equivalent grading system on the page, and the grades that applied to what I had done, that being IGCSE, showed numbers. I've posted their requirements down below I think. I told them I had done IGCSE FLE, with the syllabus too.

That speaking and listening part though? I'd never done it in school, apparently it was optional and because of that my school had ruled it out entirely, unless you were doing English as a Second Language.
Attached files
Last edited by Ruelynn; 1 week ago
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Now I'm confused! UK universities are normally fine with IGCSEs, but occasionally there's a hiccup and someone's told their IGCSE isn't suitable - my UK school has always been able to sort this out (i.e. get it accepted that is Ok) with the university.
Ruelynn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Compost)
Now I'm confused! UK universities are normally fine with IGCSEs, but occasionally there's a hiccup and someone's told their IGCSE isn't suitable - my UK school has always been able to sort this out (i.e. get it accepted that is Ok) with the university.
At this point I've simply decided to do the Duolingo English Test (they accept it). I've emailed them back and forth constantly and it seems their main problem is that I didn't do Listening/Speaking so therefore my grade is 'insufficient' and honestly I can't fight lmao.

Thanks for your help this far though, I guess they're just doing their own thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (76)
18.63%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (82)
20.1%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (78)
19.12%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (89)
21.81%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.05%
I haven't started researching yet (42)
10.29%

Watched Threads