Want more information about this university?

Planning to take Computer Science this year, Should I buy a new laptop?

Watch
deCap413
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hey, I'm currently debating with myself whether or not I should get a new laptop, from where, what price and what type. I currently have a 2/3-year-old Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51 (with an additional 16gb Ram) which is "for gaming" though I use it for Photoshop and general note-taking as well (My handwriting isn't great). I've heard that its good to have a high powered laptop for courses like Comp Sci, but never really had this confirmed. My Acer Nitro is severely worn to the point it doesn't last longer than 2 hours without needing to be charged, as well as physical damages to hinges. I could buy another battery that cost around £40 but this wouldn't solve the other permanent damages to the laptop.

Any sort of advice would be appreciated. Thanks
AprilHoang
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
If you planning to study Computer Science, check your university/college's facility to see whether they have the laptop or computer that support students who study Computer Science (my Uni has a few labs that have a lot of computers that are in used for CS only.
From then you have peace in mind that if your computer is not working, you have your Uni to cover that. And when you realise that you should buy one or not, you will know which one is the best one for you to choose from.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads