The Student Room Group

Why do people worship celebrities?

The fact that people jump on them like that makes me feel like humanity is so weird. But no one questions this?
What are they a god or something?
Capitalism
If you find out, let me know, OP! This is (in tiny part) what my PhD thesis is about :work:
Reply 3
If you think about it, the founders of the major religions were, in fact, celebrities of their time - sure, no media to speak of etc, but they were nevertheless celebrated, famous, prominent.

People put people on pedestals when they display with consistency attributes that are appreciated by portions of society, and it goes from there imo
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
If you think about it, the founders of the major religions were, in fact, celebrities of their time - sure, no media to speak of etc, but they were nevertheless celebrated, famous, prominent.

People put people on pedestals when they display with consistency attributes that are appreciated by portions of society, and it goes from there imo

Cannot rep :frown: but :congrats:
The internet has made it easier for people to have parasocial interactions with celebrities/internet personalities that they like which leads to them developing weird parasocial relationships where they genuinely believe they are friends with someone who doesn't even know they exist.
Well, Jesus was such a damn annoying do-gooder. That hung guy on Paradise Hotel is far more interesting.
Because the false, more 'desirable' idea of reality sells.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending