Further Maths for Economics Undergrad?

Watch
tanmayt0001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I havr chosen Maths,Chemistry n Economics with an EPQ as my alevel options.I want to do an Economics related degree but im not sure if further maths instead of EPQ because it could be too strenuous on top off my other subjects.I enjoy maths and am predicted 9 at gsce. However ive heard that fm is basically a must for bsc econ at top unis (LSE,UCL, etc). The EPQ will be useful if i dont do fm i feel cus i would do it in something econ- related and if i do well , i could be something to talk about in my personal statement.Im not sure which would boost my chances of being accepted?
Should i take FM or do the EPQ?
TawnyEagle
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there! I was actually in a similar position to you, and I chose to do further maths to boost my chances of getting an offer for economics. Unlike you, however, my college let me do an EPQ on top of that so I've done both.

For the top universities having A-Level further maths is an advantage, but it's not a requirement in order to be able to get in, and people can get in without it. It's true that they might question why you didn't take it if you had the option to, but I wouldn't recommend taking it if you think it might negatively affect your other grades. At my college, A-Level maths was done over year 12 and further maths over year 13, and the pressure from taking maths in 1 year dropped my maths grade from an A* to an A which prevented me from applying to some of the top universities. Of course, this isn't the case with everyone but I would suggest thinking hard about whether you will do well/want to take an extra A-Level because A-Level maths is a huge step up from GCSE. If you get the option to take AS further maths it might be a good compromise to consider.

It's very hard to say if having an EPQ affects your chance of getting an offer. I recommend checking to see if the universities you are looking at actually take it into account because a lot of the top universities say that it would be unfair to consider them as some students don't get the option to do one. If your university doesn't consider it in its own right, then the only benefit will be as something to talk about in a personal statement or interview. Other academic things such as reading books or attending lectures can have a similar impact. In reality, having an EPQ won't usually be the deciding factor on whether you get a place or not. They look at personal statements as a whole.

So to answer your question further maths will probably have more benefit than an EPQ, but only if it doesn't affect your other A-Levels. Personally I would recommend you choose the one you want to do, rather than the one you feel you have to do. At A-Level the interest you have in a subject can have a bit of an impact on your final grade. Hope this helps!
Last edited by TawnyEagle; 1 week ago
tanmayt0001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by TawnyEagle)
Hi there! I was actually in a similar position to you, and I chose to do further maths to boost my chances of getting an offer for economics. Unlike you, however, my college let me do an EPQ on top of that so I've done both.

For the top universities having A-Level further maths is an advantage, but it's not a requirement in order to be able to get in, and people can get in without it. It's true that they might question why you didn't take it if you had the option to, but I wouldn't recommend taking it if you think it might negatively affect your other grades. At my college, A-Level maths was done over year 12 and further maths over year 13, and the pressure from taking maths in 1 year dropped my maths grade from an A* to an A which prevented me from applying to some of the top universities. Of course, this isn't the case with everyone but I would suggest thinking hard about whether you will do well/want to take an extra A-Level because A-Level maths is a huge step up from GCSE. If you get the option to take AS further maths it might be a good compromise to consider.

It's very hard to say if having an EPQ affects your chance of getting an offer. I recommend checking to see if the universities you are looking at actually take it into account because a lot of the top universities say that it would be unfair to consider them as some students don't get the option to do one. If your university doesn't consider it in its own right, then the only benefit will be as something to talk about in a personal statement or interview. Other academic things such as reading books or attending lectures can have a similar impact. In reality, having an EPQ won't usually be the deciding factor on whether you get a place or not. They look at personal statements as a whole.

So to answer your question further maths will probably have more benefit than an EPQ, but only if it doesn't affect your other A-Levels. Personally I would recommend you choose the one you want to do, rather than the one you feel you have to do. At A-Level the interest you have in a subject can have a bit of an impact on your final grade. Hope this helps!
Thanks for your reply! Definitely will take on board your advice. Unfortunately my school doesnt offer AS Further Maths. However my school does offer the option to drop further maths in year 1 .... as the pace of course is very quick and may not be suitable for certain individuals. So I think I will stick with Further Maths and drop it later on in the year if I feel my other subjects are suffering as a result.
Last edited by tanmayt0001; 1 week ago
TawnyEagle
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tanmayt0001)
Thanks for your reply! Definitely will take on board your advice. Unfortunately my school doesnt offer AS Further Maths. However my school does offer the option to drop further maths in year 1 .... as the pace of course is very quick and may not be suitable for certain individuals. So I think I will stick with Further Maths and drop it later on in the year if I feel my other subjects are suffering as a result.
I'm glad I could help! There's a lot of mystery over economics as it's a really competitive course, and I know I ended up making some bad decisions because of it. Your plan sounds good though.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (34)
8.04%
Confident (55)
13%
Indifferent (59)
13.95%
Unsure (110)
26%
Worried (165)
39.01%

Watched Threads