LouiseRu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Nursing students what courses at A Level did you feel best equipped you for a nursing degree?

Are there any advantages in doing a BTEC in health and social over say traditional A levels?

Would an A level in psychology give a sufficient science background for the study of nursing.

Thank you for your help.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LouiseRu)
Nursing students what courses at A Level did you feel best equipped you for a nursing degree?

Are there any advantages in doing a BTEC in health and social over say traditional A levels?

Would an A level in psychology give a sufficient science background for the study of nursing.

Thank you for your help.
Cant answer 1 as am not a nurse.

2. BTEC has the advantage of being all of not mostly coursework which suits some people, plus you will get to study topics which arent in A level.
3. I dont think Psychology is enough, and they would ideally want Chemistry or Biology. You tend to need a hard science amounting to 1 A level for Nursing or additional health careers.
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
3. I dont think Psychology is enough, and they would ideally want Chemistry or Biology. You tend to need a hard science amounting to 1 A level for Nursing or additional health careers.
Biology is asked for by some universities, but not all. Chemistry definitely isn't. My academic entry to a nursing degree were A levels History, Maths & German and a degree in German & History - and I coped absolutely fine.

Depends on the university. Generally, not really - neither really seems to have a major advantage. Maybe talking to some universities might help??
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
Biology is asked for by some universities, but not all. Chemistry definitely isn't. My academic entry to a nursing degree were A levels History, Maths & German and a degree in German & History - and I coped absolutely fine.

Depends on the university. Generally, not really - neither really seems to have a major advantage. Maybe talking to some universities might help??
I would say thats the exception to the rule and most of them want one science. They will have accepted maths as the science.
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say thats the exception to the rule and most of them want one science. They will have accepted maths as the science.
Have just double checked... Manchester is the only one I've found to generally ask for a science subject maths isn't on their list. Most other places is an offer of 3 A levels, maybe including biology.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Have just double checked... Manchester is the only one I've found to generally ask for a science subject maths isn't on their list. Most other places is an offer of 3 A levels, maybe including biology.
Well not from what ive seen, although a large % of those are access. They want science modules equivalent to one A level.
moosec
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well not from what ive seen, although a large % of those are access. They want science modules equivalent to one A level.
Some universities’ entry requirements for Access courses ask for science-related modules (although this frequently tends to be more for Midwifery’s entry requirements than Nursing)... for A Levels there usually aren’t set subjects, rather they set UCAS tariff points (eg 112Points) or grades (eg ABB). They don’t usually specify any subjects for Nursing besides GCSE Maths and English which are requirements set by the Nursing & Midwifery Council

Midwifery often requires A Level Biology, Medicine nearly always requires A Level Biology and Chemistry, but Nursing doesn’t usually set any specific entry subjects & recruits using the Values Based Recruitment framework (VBR)
moosec
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thank you for your help.
I did Travel & Tourism, Creative Writing & Film Studies... totally unrelated to nursing! I don’t think it’s left me any less equipped to study Nursing, personally.

BTEC Lv3 H&SC is more coursework based rather than exam based so some people find it to be more suited to their learning style if they don’t really get on with exams. Besides learning some health related content which will of course be useful when going on to study nursing, there’s not really any advantage that BTECs have over A Levels.

The sort of things you learn in Psychology wont necessarily underpin the sciencey bits of Nursing - in Nursing we do things like Anatomy & Physiology and Pharmacology... this probably wouldn’t really be covered by A Level Psychology. However I wouldn’t say there’s much need to have a load of background knowledge of nursing science, you’ll be taught everything you need to know when you get to uni. They start with the basics
LouiseRu
Rep:
?

Thank you for telling me about your experience.
LouiseRu
Rep:
?
(Original post by moosec)
I did Travel & Tourism, Creative Writing & Film Studies... totally unrelated to nursing! I don’t think it’s left me any less equipped to study Nursing, personally.

BTEC Lv3 H&SC is more coursework based rather than exam based so some people find it to be more suited to their learning style if they don’t really get on with exams. Besides learning some health related content which will of course be useful when going on to study nursing, there’s not really any advantage that BTECs have over A Levels.

The sort of things you learn in Psychology wont necessarily underpin the sciencey bits of Nursing - in Nursing we do things like Anatomy & Physiology and Pharmacology... this probably wouldn’t really be covered by A Level Psychology. However I wouldn’t say there’s much need to have a load of background knowledge of nursing science, you’ll be taught everything you need to know when you get to uni. They start with the basics
Thanks for this insight.
LouiseRu
Rep:
?
Thanks for your input.

This is very useful to me.

(Original post by moosec)
Some universities’ entry requirements for Access courses ask for science-related modules (although this frequently tends to be more for Midwifery’s eny requirements than Nursing)... for A Levels there usually aren’t set subjects, rather they set UCAS tariff points (eg 112Points) or grades (eg ABB). They don’t usually specify any subjects for Nursing besides GCSE Maths and English which are requirements set by the Nursing & Midwifery Council

Midwifery often requires A Level Biology, Medicine nearly always requires A Level Biology and Chemistry, but Nursing doesn’t usually set any specific entry subjects & recruits using the Values Based Recruitment framework (VBR)
LouiseRu
Rep:
?
To everyone replying to my question thank you for taking the time to reply.

Your responses have been very useful and will help my daughter chose her final A level choices.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (20)
7.66%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.56%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.62%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.56%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (72)
27.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise