Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm so confused because i thought you change places and areas every 2-3 months ?? Or do you stay in one hospital but just with different placements each year? Thank you
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
It depends on the deanery you join. For some places it will be one hospital and different depts, for others you may have to move hospital.

Within one hospital you'll do 3 x 4 month rotations each year. A rotation could be in A&E or Osteo or Urology or GP or something. Sometimes the rotations are split - so in 4 months you'll spend part of your time in Urology and part of your time in elderly. If one of your rotations is GP then this is very unlikely to be at the hospital and much more likely to be a practice local to your central hospital - normally within about 10-15 miles.

My partner is now a GP - he did his foundation years in Yorkshire. Year 1 was at York hospital, Year 2 was at Scarborough - part of his first year rotation was GP in a village outside York. In FY2 he didn't move but commuted from York to Scarborough - it was definitely a tough year and he COULD have moved to Scarborough but he chose not to because all his friends were in York as he'd gone to uni there, plus I was living in Leeds at the time and felt Scarborough would have been too far for us.

have you finished med school now? have you been allocated your FY deanery?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Its a little more complicated than the above. I'd say the significant majority of programs do have you move between FY1 and FY2, with same sites unusual and often taken by people with special circumstances. It is also very possible to have to move sites within a single year - could be for GP as mentioned but there are plenty of cities out there that have split sites for their services. Psych hospitals are very frequently at a different site for example, and it might not be at all close. I am also aware of examples where just medical jobs were split between two cities >2 hours apart - so 4 months Hull, 4 months York, 4 months Hull again.

I also worked a job where my site changed day to day - 90% in one hospital that was a 10 minute walk for me, but ~10% was in a completely different site about a half an hour drive away.

Remember they do have the right to just change your job after you move too, including where it is.

Welcome to the NHS.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I went to a different hospital and foundation school (but same deanery) for FY2.

My O&G FY2 job was based at three different hospitals spread across the county. You could be doing a theatre list in the morning at one hospital and a clinic in the afternoon at another.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (56)
9.03%
Confident (81)
13.06%
Indifferent (89)
14.35%
Unsure (159)
25.65%
Worried (235)
37.9%

Watched Threads