Year 12 who studies Math, Biology, German A-Level. Which Uni Courses are appropriate?

Watch
Nattyt234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So when skimming through different university courses, I keep finding that most courses where biology and maths are useful, chemistry and/or physics is also deemed as useful. Is this a problem? Will the other students who study chemistry/physics have an advantage over me?

I would be so grateful if anybody could suggest any courses that see biology and maths as useful, without the other sciences

Thank you.
fprischi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi. With Biology and Math you can easily access all course on Natural Sciences, Biology, Marine Biology, Genetics, Biomedical Sciences, Sport Sciences, Medicine, and probably psychology too. If you are really good in Math and like computers, you may also want to consider computer science related subjects.
Regarding giving an advantage, it's a bit tricky, because different Universities have different requirements. In general, if you aim for a Bio-related course, physics is not indispensable. Chemistry is a bit different, because some Bio-courses require chemistry, for example BSc Biochemistry.
Nattyt234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by fprischi)
Hi. With Biology and Math you can easily access all course on Natural Sciences, Biology, Marine Biology, Genetics, Biomedical Sciences, Sport Sciences, Medicine, and probably psychology too. If you are really good in Math and like computers, you may also want to consider computer science related subjects.
Regarding giving an advantage, it's a bit tricky, because different Universities have different requirements. In general, if you aim for a Bio-related course, physics is not indispensable. Chemistry is a bit different, because some Bio-courses require chemistry, for example BSc Biochemistry.
Thanks for that a lot fprischi. I got a grade 8 at GCSE maths and am predicted an A at A-Level. For biology, I got a 9 and am also predicted an A. However, I like the idea of computer science. Even though other students have studied physics and actual computer science at GCSE/A-Level, do you reckon I would still be alright? I have an interest in computers, but I do not actually know a lot about them! I would love to learn about them however. Is that an issue?
fprischi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Nattyt234)
Thanks for that a lot fprischi. I got a grade 8 at GCSE maths and am predicted an A at A-Level. For biology, I got a 9 and am also predicted an A. However, I like the idea of computer science. Even though other students have studied physics and actual computer science at GCSE/A-Level, do you reckon I would still be alright? I have an interest in computers, but I do not actually know a lot about them! I would love to learn about them however. Is that an issue?
I'm a Biochemist, so i admit i got limited knowledge of Computer Science. I had a quick look at my Uni BSc Computer Science and they only need Math A level (https://www.essex.ac.uk/courses/ug00...mputer-science), which make sense because computer science is heavy on Math. Physics is not indispensable, and they usually start from zero on computer science, so computer science A level is also not required.
If you want to know more, my advice would be to talk directly with someone in Computer Science (you can use the chat to talk with computer science students too https://www.essex.ac.uk/life/chat).

You can also see both the Bio-webinars and the computer sciences webinars here https://www.essex.ac.uk/visit-us/can...ks-and-tasters , which may be of help to figure out what you want to study in the future...independently from which University you will chose in the future.
Last edited by fprischi; 6 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (70)
18.82%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (76)
20.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (68)
18.28%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (78)
20.97%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (39)
10.48%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
11.02%

Watched Threads