Is it ok to apply for a uni course if I don't know what job I would go into after?

Watch
username4434914
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I want to apply for english literature/History at university but I don't know if I want to go into that field after. I just really want to study the subjects, but working with them is a different matter. Is this irresponsible? I really feel like I need to get some experience at uni so its the place I want to go regardless. But I don't have any plan for what would possibly come next.
nathan1403
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Of course it's okay! I'm going into my 3rd year of studying English after the summer and still don't know what I want to do! With most subjects (esp humanities and social sciences) you can just kinda go into a lot of different jobs on grad schemes etc, it's more about the skills you learn at uni rather than the actual subject matter
Last edited by nathan1403; 1 week ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hoshiko)
I want to apply for english literature/History at university but I don't know if I want to go into that field after. I just really want to study the subjects, but working with them is a different matter. Is this irresponsible? I really feel like I need to get some experience at uni so its the place I want to go regardless. But I don't have any plan for what would possibly come next.
Hey Hoshiko!

Its a great idea to study something you're interested in and like no matter what you're going to do after!
So many students don't go into their field of study but it doesn't matter
You gain and improve upon so many skills whilst at uni and its this that makes you employable in the future

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (70)
18.82%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (76)
20.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (68)
18.28%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (78)
20.97%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (39)
10.48%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
11.02%

Watched Threads