Which Unis have Alcohol Free Accommodation?

Watch
Beliya26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I'm specifically looking at unis that offer undergraduate Medicine in England and Wales and I've already made a bit of a compilation but this is something that isn't easy to do via Google Search (For the University of B'ham especially I found out through an obscure FAQ drop down that wasn't from a G search but just general browsing)

Manchester "Provision for special requirements" - Lifestyle moderated halls and can request to live in halls with less alcohol, parties or noise.

Bristol - Durdham Hall, New Bridewell and Richmond Terrace have alcohol free flats

Exeter - simple alcohol free accommodation.

Nottingham has quiet hall accommodation with alcohol free study and social areas

Birmingham - maybe alcohol free environment in parts of Ashcroft and Jarratt Hall

Plymouth - offer alcohol free accommodation

Edge Hill - offer alcohol free rooms

Southampton - alcohol free accommodation

I'd also like to ask as a follow up question about whether the alcohol free accommodation at the sorts of unis I've specified above is also single sex because I get that if you are looking for a niche requirement/favourable setting then it's gonna be even less likely that it intersects with another factor.
Last edited by Beliya26; 4 days ago
Stuntman_82
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Beliya26)
I'm specifically looking at unis that offer undergraduate Medicine in England and Wales and I've already made a bit of a compilation but this is something that isn't easy to do via Google Search (For the University of B'ham especially I found out through an obscure FAQ drop down that wasn't from a G search but just general browsing)

Manchester "Provision for special requirements" - Lifestyle moderated halls and can request to live in halls with less alcohol, parties or noise.

Bristol - Durdham Hall, New Bridewell and Richmond Terrace have alcohol free flats

Exeter - simple alcohol free accommodation.

Nottingham has quiet hall accommodation with alcohol free study and social areas

Birmingham - maybe alcohol free environment in parts of Ashcroft and Jarratt Hall

Plymouth - offer alcohol free accommodation

Edge Hill - offer alcohol free rooms

Southampton - alcohol free accommodation

I'd also like to ask as a follow up question about whether the alcohol free accommodation at the sorts of unis I've specified above is also single sex because I get that if you are looking for a niche requirement/favourable setting then it's gonna be even less likely that it intersects with another factor.
Some universities will not list alcohol-free accommodations instead what they do is ask you if you have specific requirements that need to be met such as alcohol-free and girls only. They match you up with flatmates really well from what I have seen (friends on my course). By 2nd year you can move into a house/flat with girls only that do not drink.

I recommend using TSR to chat to university representatives and ask them how they can accommodate your needs or email the university directly.
Beliya26
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Thanks for the response!

I'm definitely more at the elimination stage of which unis I wanna pick so I am asking this question at the accommodation talks on virtual open days in order to help whittle down which unis I apply to but if it gets to the point where I have already submitted my UCAS application and one of the 4 unis is one where I don't already know/have not asked I will make sure to chat to university representatives about this! It's not a massive dealbreaker because tbh I just wanna study Medicine but obviously while I'm gonna focus on applying to universities that will accept me because Medicine admissions is brutal, I still wanna factor in lifestyle and how student life will be.

Also, btw I'm actually a male so girls only would be the opposite of what I want but that did make me laugh!
(Original post by Stuntman_82)
Some universities will not list alcohol-free accommodations instead what they do is ask you if you have specific requirements that need to be met such as alcohol-free and girls only. They match you up with flatmates really well from what I have seen (friends on my course). By 2nd year you can move into a house/flat with girls only that do not drink.

I recommend using TSR to chat to university representatives and ask them how they can accommodate your needs or email the university directly.
Stuntman_82
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Beliya26)
Thanks for the response!

I'm definitely more at the elimination stage of which unis I wanna pick so I am asking this question at the accommodation talks on virtual open days in order to help whittle down which unis I apply to but if it gets to the point where I have already submitted my UCAS application and one of the 4 unis is one where I don't already know/have not asked I will make sure to chat to university representatives about this! It's not a massive dealbreaker because tbh I just wanna study Medicine but obviously while I'm gonna focus on applying to universities that will accept me because Medicine admissions is brutal, I still wanna factor in lifestyle and how student life will be.

Also, btw I'm actually a male so girls only would be the opposite of what I want but that did make me laugh!
Hahaha, didn't know you were a guy. I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right based on your profile name...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (51)
19.84%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (58)
22.57%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (48)
18.68%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (54)
21.01%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (22)
8.56%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
9.34%

Watched Threads