The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accommodation in London

So I want to study at Imperial but London is really expensive and living space looks tiny. Any suggestions? I looked into living on Narrowboats since that could be fun - does anyone know about this?
So I think you get accommodation first year guaranteed at Imperial but then two years after it’s a bit more complicated. However most of the time you share with a bunch of other students so you reduce the price significantly.
Have you already got an offer or are you applying next year?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I think you get accommodation first year guaranteed at Imperial but then two years after it’s a bit more complicated. However most of the time you share with a bunch of other students so you reduce the price significantly.
Have you already got an offer or are you applying next year?

Next year i’ll be applying. Cost isn’t too much of an issue (although there will evidently be a maximum), it’s more to see what is the cheapest thing I can get that is still fair quality, preferably not shared, and close to the University. The reason I was thinking boats is because they are the same as apartments but you can dock them right near the Uni and the price is reasonable.
Original post by mazenod
The reason I was thinking boats is because they are the same as apartments but you can dock them right near the Uni and the price is reasonable.

I think your geography might be a bit off, the nearest bit of water to Imperial is the "Serpentine" lake in Hyde Park and the biggest thing allowed on that is a duck or a 2 person rowing boat :smile:. There are no mooring anywhere near South Ken I am afraid.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Wednesday
I think your geography might be a bit off, the nearest bit of water to Imperial is the "Serpentine" lake in Hyde Park and the biggest thing allowed on that is a duck or a 2 person rowing boat :smile:. There are no mooring anywhere near South Ken I am afraid.

I’d be willing to take the tube in the mornings, but fair enough. I don’t know London all that well apart from the main bits. What is the cheapest stuff I can get without sharing? Rent or buy?
Original post by mazenod
I’d be willing to take the tube in the mornings, but fair enough. I don’t know London all that well apart from the main bits. What is the cheapest stuff I can get without sharing? Rent or buy?

So accommodation in London is complicated, it’s a very big, very diverse city but with pretty good public transport, tubes are way faster and more reliable than the busses for anything over a 10 minute trip. Buying anywhere near South Ken is hyper expensive, it’s one of the most up-market bits of real estate in the UK. Set out (1) your max budget, (2) max travel time (3) preferred local environment (lively + night life, cool n’ trendy, quiet and village feel etc). (4) Compare Halls and private rental prices to get a sense of likely costs starting at the link below.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/campus-life/accommodation/prospective/ug/

There is a video guide on how to start finding out more about different areas thats worth a look if you haven’t found it yet.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/campus-life/accommodation/private-accommodation/before-the-search/location/
Reply 6
Original post by Mr Wednesday
So accommodation in London is complicated, it’s a very big, very diverse city but with pretty good public transport, tubes are way faster and more reliable than the busses for anything over a 10 minute trip. Buying anywhere near South Ken is hyper expensive, it’s one of the most up-market bits of real estate in the UK. Set out (1) your max budget, (2) max travel time (3) preferred local environment (lively + night life, cool n’ trendy, quiet and village feel etc). (4) Compare Halls and private rental prices to get a sense of likely costs starting at the link below.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/campus-life/accommodation/prospective/ug/

There is a video guide on how to start finding out more about different areas thats worth a look if you haven’t found it yet.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/campus-life/accommodation/private-accommodation/before-the-search/location/

Thanks a lot, that’s really helpful :-)
Original post by mazenod
Thanks a lot, that’s really helpful :-)

No problem, best of luck and enjoy the city :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending