Do I have Parkinson’s

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m 16 and sometimes I have muscle spasms when I lie down and I’ve had it for about a year but I had a blood test a few months ago and nothing was wrong with me, my grandad had Parkinson’s bro
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m 16 and sometimes I have muscle spasms when I lie down and I’ve had it for about a year but I had a blood test a few months ago and nothing was wrong with me, my grandad had Parkinson’s bro
Go to your GP. No one can diagnose you on TSR.

Also: no blood test can diagnose Parkinson's Disease. It remains, for all intents and purposes, a clinical diagnosis.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Parkinson's disease is a progressive nervous system disorder that affects movement. Symptoms start gradually, sometimes starting with a barely noticeable tremor in just one hand. Tremors are common, but the disorder also commonly causes stiffness or slowing of movement.

Symptoms
Parkinson's disease signs and symptoms can be different for everyone. Early signs may be mild and go unnoticed. Symptoms often begin on one side of your body and usually remain worse on that side, even after symptoms begin to affect both sides.
Parkinson's signs and symptoms may include:
Tremor. A tremor, or shaking, usually begins in a limb, often your hand or fingers. You may a rub your thumb and forefinger back-and-forth, known as a pill-rolling tremor. Your hand may tremor when it's at rest.Slowed movement (bradykinesia). Over time, Parkinson's disease may slow your movement, making simple tasks difficult and time-consuming. Your steps may become shorter when you walk. It may be difficult to get out of a chair. You may drag your feet as you try to walk.Rigid muscles. Muscle stiffness may occur in any part of your body. The stiff muscles can be painful and limit your range of motion.Impaired posture and balance. Your posture may become stooped, or you may have balance problems as a result of Parkinson's disease.Loss of automatic movements. You may have a decreased ability to perform unconscious movements, including blinking, smiling or swinging your arms when you walk.Speech changes. You may speak softly, quickly, slur or hesitate before talking. Your speech may be more of a monotone rather than with the usual inflections.Writing changes. It may become hard to write, and your writing may appear small.When to see a doctor
See your doctor if you have any of the symptoms associated with Parkinson's disease — not only to diagnose your condition but also to rule out other causes for your symptoms.
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Please don’t self-diagnose and try not to worry. What did your GP say?
Anonymous #1
Thanks, my hands aren’t shaking or anything it’s just sometimes I have muscle twitches (when i’m not moving usually) which my GP said is just anxiety but they get bad sometimesss
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
Thanks, my hands aren’t shaking or anything it’s just sometimes I have muscle twitches (when i’m not moving usually) which my GP said is just anxiety but they get bad sometimesss
I’ve had twitches and numbness due to anxiety. If it is anxiety, then worrying will exacerbate the symptoms. I don’t know anything about Parkinson’s, but I’m sure developing it in your teens is very rare. Have you received any treatment for anxiety?
Anonymous #1
I’ve had twitches and numbness due to anxiety. If it is anxiety, then worrying will exacerbate the symptoms. I don’t know anything about Parkinson’s, but I’m sure developing it in your teens is very rare. Have you received any treatment for anxiety?
No, they recommended therapy ages ago but I didn’t end up doing it and it hasn’t been that bad over the past year and the doctors don’t really help and just tell me not to worry
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PakScarz)
The idiocy on the TSR is real. Very real.
Yh anxiety and a family member dying from a disease is very funny
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PakScarz)
The idiocy on the TSR is real. Very real.
You’re really going to troll a 16 year old who already has anxiety? Just stop.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Even tremors are not necessarily Parkinsons - only a doctor can diagnose.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, they recommended therapy ages ago but I didn’t end up doing it and it hasn’t been that bad over the past year and the doctors don’t really help and just tell me not to worry
Ask about therapy from them, it can help.
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As your GP said, it'a probably anxiety. Parkinson's so young is extremely rare. If you have doubts, go back to them.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
Do you look after yourself in general? Meditation and exercise can help with anxiety. Try not to worry. I don’t stress about the numbness now because I know it’s anxiety and will go away.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
Ask about therapy from them, it can help.
My problems aren’t bad enough for therapy and I’ve been coping with anxiety a lot better recently so I don’t think it’s worth it tbh

(Original post by Daveological)
As your GP said, it'a probably anxiety. Parkinson's so young is extremely rare. If you have doubts, go back to them.
Thanks
Anonymous #1
Do you look after yourself in general? Meditation and exercise can help with anxiety. Try not to worry. I don’t stress about the numbness now because I know it’s anxiety and will go away.
No I get distracted lol

It happens when I’m not feeling anxious or stressed though, it never happens if I’m having a panic attack or anything
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My problems aren’t bad enough for therapy and I’ve been coping with anxiety a lot better recently so I don’t think it’s worth it tbh

Thanks
It probably is worth it if you're worrying about having Parkinson's at 16. It's very, very unlikely. Health anxiety, particularly when there's grief intertwined with it, can be difficult to deal with. No shame in seeking help should you need it. Failing that, look after yourself: eat enough nutritious food; drink enough water; have a good sleep routine; exercise moderately; have creative outlets to let out difficult feelings (like anxiety); meditation, yoga and journalling could help as well; etc.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
No I get distracted lol

It happens when I’m not feeling anxious or stressed though, it never happens if I’m having a panic attack or anything
I can feel numb when I’m on my bed and not consciously stressing about anything. Your doctor doesn’t seem to think there’s a physical problem. Try not to overthink...easier said than done I know
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Go to your GP. No one can diagnose you on TSR.

Also: no blood test can diagnose Parkinson's Disease. It remains, for all intents and purposes, a clinical diagnosis.
Prsom :yep:
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm so sorry :console:
I hope things get better for you :hugs:
PakScarz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When did I say it was funny? Maybe if you were acc serious about this you should’ve asked your GP and not the TSR, last time I checked there were no legally qualified Doctors on here. Muppet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (76)
18.58%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (82)
20.05%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (78)
19.07%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (90)
22%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.02%
I haven't started researching yet (42)
10.27%

Watched Threads