JohnPhillips234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Will my appeal work as I was not given any information regarding unfair means by my university when doing online open book exams from home when other universities ensured their students were informed of the matter for these exams. I genuinely feel neglection has occurred by my university considering it was the very first time online open book exams were done and there should have been adequate information on the Dos and Donts of an open book exam
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JohnPhillips234)
Will my appeal work as I was not given any information regarding unfair means by my university when doing online open book exams from home when other universities ensured their students were informed of the matter for these exams. I genuinely feel neglection has occurred by my university considering it was the very first time online open book exams were done and there should have been adequate information on the Dos and Donts of an open book exam
So what did you do/not do that the university is having issue with?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
'neglection'? Is that a new word?

What exactly is your complaint?
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
So what did you do/not do that the university is having issue with?
Basically there were a few similar answers so they got me for collusion but I denied it all and showed proof of how I got my answers in the hearing however they did not listen and sanctioned me. But genuinely speaking when you do something for the first time ever everything needs to be addressed in the new handbook they created and they failed to address anything. They constantly mentioned the no detriment policy in the handbook but imo thats not good enough. Other credible univeristies can have the decency to protect their students from this type of stuff but this absurd uni decides to punish people when clearly they dont wanna inform/educate students on unfair means of open book exams. No one can assume anything the day I signed a contract with the university it is their responsibilty to provide me with all the necessary info regarding stuff in detail.
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
'neglection'? Is that a new word?

What exactly is your complaint?
Lol right now I feel so infuriated by this university that they wanna do stuff like this when the whole world is on panic mode. Basically I have filed an appeal regarding the sanction and expect the decision they made to be overturned. Because clearly adeqaute information for unfair means of open book exams was not given. How can a univeristy be this stupid. Other universities higher in rankings than them clearly informed their students and I can find all this on their website whereas for my own uni I cant find anything bit ridiculous what theyve done.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Basically there were a few similar answers so they got me for collusion but I denied it all and showed proof of how I got my answers in the hearing however they did not listen and sanctioned me. But genuinely speaking when you do something for the first time ever everything needs to be addressed in the new handbook they created and they failed to address anything. They constantly mentioned the no detriment policy in the handbook but imo thats not good enough. Other credible univeristies can have the decency to protect their students from this type of stuff but this absurd uni decides to punish people when clearly they dont wanna inform/educate students on unfair means of open book exams. No one can assume anything the day I signed a contract with the university it is their responsibilty to provide me with all the necessary info regarding stuff in detail.
So, are you making the argument that you didn't know that collusion was still an academic offence during open book exams? Because your university didn't explicitly tell you?
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
So, are you making the argument that you didn't know that collusion was still an academic offence during open book exams? Because your university didn't explicitly tell you?
When you learn to drive a car for the first time
You obviously need an instructor therefore need instructions. When you learn to walk for the first time you onviously need to be taught by your parents. This is the same principle. This was my first ever time doing an open book legitimate exam from home so ofc im making that argument. They had to provide sufficient information on how to do these types of exams without the risk of getting yourself in these situations. So yes I am making that argument. The criteria to do closed book exams and open book exams are essentially a different thing. Even if the unfair means were the same as before they still hd to state it just like other universities have done
Last edited by JohnPhillips234; 1 week ago
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You obviously need an instructor therefore need instructions. When you learn to walk for the first time you onviously need to be taught by your parents. This is the same principle. This was my first ever time doing an open book legitimate exam from home so ofc im making that argument. They had to provide sufficient information on how to do these types of exams without the risk of getting yourself in these situations. So yes I am making that argument
Okay. So, what information did they give you, and what information did they miss out exactly?

I do find it hard to believe that you didn't know the collusion is bad, no matter the assessment type.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You obviously need an instructor therefore need instructions. When you learn to walk for the first time you onviously need to be taught by your parents. This is the same principle. This was my first ever time doing an open book legitimate exam from home so ofc im making that argument. They had to provide sufficient information on how to do these types of exams without the risk of getting yourself in these situations. So yes I am making that argument. The criteria to do closed book exams and open book exams are essentially a different thing. Even if the unfair means were the same as before they still hd to state it just like other universities have done
Okay. So, what information did they give you, and what information did they miss out exactly?

I do find it hard to believe that you didn't know the collusion is bad, no matter the assessment type.
As above, whatever method of assessment, be it something new or otherwise is built on the same foundations as all other assessments, which, I say with a high conviction would have been laid out in the academic handbook/lectures in first week covering collusion and self plagiarism etc.
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?

They missed out every information possible for unfair means of open book exams during covid 19. In their own words prior to the lockdown they were “creating a new plan for assessments and exams” essentially those plans was the new handbook they created and should have informed the students on every aspect of open book exams including unfair means. Constantly mentioning the no detriment policy without the concern for unfair means of open book exams is pathetic imo. The whole world has changed clearly adequate information has to provided regardless whether it was the same as before or not on all aspects
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
How many other students took the exam and how many breached the rules?
How did other students know not to breach the rules?
You suggest your answers were similar, but how did this amount to collusion?
Who did they say you were colluding with?

As for your question then how would we know without having seen and reviewed the evidence?
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
As above, whatever method of assessment, be it something new or otherwise is built on the same foundations as all other assessments, which, I say with a high conviction would have been laid out in the academic handbook/lectures in first week covering collusion and self plagiarism etc.
That is correct. However this was the first time ever students were doing open book exams from home. Not the 100th time. When other universities clearly acknowledge unfair means of open book exams during the covid19 pandemic my university should have done the same thing. I have as much right as those students from the other universities to be informed on all matters regarding changes in exam methods/policies. I pay the same amount of money as them at the end of the day. The neglect is evident from my university and my advisor has advised me to focus on this point, so clearly it has worth/meaning behind it
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
O also find it hard to believe they havent made available either online or in the handbook information about plagiarism and collusion?
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They missed out every information possible for unfair means of open book exams during covid 19. In their own words prior to the lockdown they were “creating a new plan for assessments and exams” essentially those plans was the new handbook they created and should have informed the students on every aspect of open book exams including unfair means. Constantly mentioning the no detriment policy without the concern for unfair means of open book exams is pathetic imo. The whole world has changed clearly adequate information has to provided regardless whether it was the same as before or not on all aspects
A no detriment policy does not mean you are allowed to commit academic offences. The rules for all assessments is pretty much the same, so ignorance of the rules aren't adequate appeal grounds. If you weren't sure of the rules, it's on you to find out what's allowed.

If you feel that the university withheld information, then you need to contact your course rep or student union for advice.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Our exams all had done sort of statement at the front about ensuring academic integrity.

There was sone chatter in our group what’s app chat about technical matters (as word limits all different to previous announcements) but we all knew discussing actual answers would be wrong (or at least do not discuss them with 300 strangers and make us all guilty of something!
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
O also find it hard to believe they havent made available either online or in the handbook information about plagiarism and collusion?
A no detriment policy does not mean you are allowed to commit academic offences. The rules for all assessments is pretty much the same, so ignorance of the rules aren't adequate appeal grounds. If you weren't sure of the rules, it's on you to find out what's allowed.

If you feel that the university withheld information, then you need to contact your course rep or student union for advice.
My advisor with 20yrs of experience has told me to focus on the aspect adequate information was not provided. I have submitted my appeal with clear evidence of neglect from the university during these unprecedented times. A guidebook that was created specifically for the Covid-19 pandemic was the only credible source of information for me during these unfortunate times. Clearly in this handbook nothing regarding unfair means has been mentioned. The section “Assessments” in this handbook shows nothing how a open book exam must be conducted this is pure neglect from the university.
Last edited by JohnPhillips234; 1 week ago
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?

In their handbook they hve never mentioned anything regarding open book exams. You have to understand doing exams under supervision and no supervision is a different ballgame and it is upto the university to educate students aswell as staff on the matter
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My advisor with 20yrs of experience has told me to focus on the aspect adequate information was not provided. I have submitted my appeal with clear evidence of neglect from the university during these unprecedented times. A guidebook that was created specifically for the Covid-19 pandemic was the only credible source of information for me during these unfortunate times. Clearly in this handbook nothing regarding unfair means has been mentioned. The section “Assessments” in this handbook shows nothing how a open book exam must be conducted this is pure neglect from the university.
I think we all believe that academic integrity isn't something which the university has a duty to repeatedly point out - it will have been made clear to you at the very beginning of your course. For instance, the brief of every written assignment doesn't need to carry a disclaimer to the effect of 'do not plagiarise others' work' - because it's assumed that you know this. In the same way, there isn't a notice on every exit door of your Halls of Residence saying 'please don't walk out into oncoming traffic' - because it's assumed you already know this.

You clearly feel you have a case here, and you've got university advisors and doubtless other people involved. The best thing, therefore, is for you to put your grievance through the relevant complaints process and get the outcome that way. I'm not sure how TSR can help you with this otherwise.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can see how it looks strange if day it was law and you all use the sane obscure source or obscure case? But I shared textbook recommendations for extra reading during my course with friends so it’s possible we all used same source that others did not without actually colluding.

What do did you actually do? Share ideas like you can with coursework? (Which as far as I can tell, a lot of groups collaborate a ton on those and discuss their conclusions to see if others are on sane line.
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I think we all believe that academic integrity isn't something which the university has a duty to repeatedly point out - it will have been made clear to you at the very beginning of your course. For instance, the brief of every written assignment doesn't need to carry a disclaimer to the effect of 'do not plagiarise others' work' - because it's assumed that you know this. In the same way, there isn't a notice on every exit door of your Halls of Residence saying 'please don't walk out into oncoming traffic' - because it's assumed you already know this.

You clearly feel you have a case here, and you've got university advisors and doubtless other people involved. The best thing, therefore, is for you to put your grievance through the relevant complaints process and get the outcome that way. I'm not sure how TSR can help you with this otherwise.
Lol i agree with you. However when you do something for the first time you simply cannot “assume” something. If this was a recurrent theme where I was doing open book exams from home every few months then yh maybe I should assume however first time ever when ur doing anything new you cannot simply assume
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.61%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.18%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.83%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (97)
21.75%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.87%
I haven't started researching yet (48)
10.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise