JohnPhillips234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Catherine1973)
I can see how it looks strange if day it was law and you all use the sane obscure source or obscure case? But I shared textbook recommendations for extra reading during my course with friends so it’s possible we all used same source that others did not without actually colluding.

What do did you actually do? Share ideas like you can with coursework? (Which as far as I can tell, a lot of groups collaborate a ton on those and discuss their conclusions to see if others are on sane line.
I simply told them I did the exam on my own and they had issues with similar errors but I clearly showed them my revision notes and what internet resources I used to get the answers. They didnt listen. If as a university they are going to do this to people then provide enough information on how to do these types of exams safely etc. Other universities have done this so why couldnt they no wonder they are below these universities in ranking clearly deserve to be in that position lmao.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JohnPhillips234)
My advisor with 20yrs of experience has told me to focus on the aspect adequate information was not provided. I have submitted my appeal with clear evidence of neglect from the university during these unprecedented times. A guidebook that was created specifically for the Covid-19 pandemic was the only credible source of information for me during these unfortunate times. Clearly in this handbook nothing regarding unfair means has been mentioned. The section “Assessments” in this handbook shows nothing how a open book exam must be conducted this is pure neglect from the university.
Hard to say without knowing more. You seem confident in your case.
I would expect many more students to have been caught by the same neglect and if not I would be wondering why not?
If I was unsure during the exams about what was permissible and what was not I would have taken the initiative and asked, so I was sure I understood the position.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When you do other written assignments at home, pieces of coursework etc., do you understand then that you can't plagiarise or collude with other people?
That's essentially an 'open-book' exam. Do they explicitly tell you every time before you do a piece of work not to plagiarise or cheat in some otherway? Probably not, I really don't see here how you can't understand that collusion is wrong.
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As do basically you are saying you didn’t collude at all and they are saying you did based on what?
They think you are lying?
Or they are saying using internet sources is collusion?
As the first one doesn’t really matter what the rules say or don’t say as you haven’t done anything wrong in that scenario?
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Hard to say without knowing more. You seem confident in your case.
I would expect many more students to have been caught by the same neglect and if not I would be wondering why not?
If I was unsure during the exams about what was permissible and what was not I would have taken the initiative and asked, so I was sure I understood the position.
I have had genuine covid-19 symptoms during the times of my exams and theyve got my medical records now too. Clearly I wasnt in the right frame of mind to ask them regarding anything like this when my health was my main concern. My aim was to get to the finish line as quickly as possible. Therefore it was compulsory from their behalf to provide this information to each individual in their university so they have tht mindset of how to prevent issues regarding this. As for other students they believe I colluded with 10 lol which is absurd as I only hang around with 5 in my class but thrs irrelevant ig
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
When you do other written assignments at home, pieces of coursework etc., do you understand then that you can't plagiarise or collude with other people?
That's essentially an 'open-book' exam. Do they explicitly tell you every time before you do a piece of work not to plagiarise or cheat in some otherway? Probably not, I really don't see here how you can't understand that collusion is wrong.
They have repeated many times during courseworks how to do this its in their handbook. Open book written exams is not coursework its a legitimate written exam and must be included in ur new guidebook. I signed a contract with them the day I enrolled. Pay the same amount of money as other students from other universities. Why shouldnt I recieve the same level of info just because my university thinks us students should “assume” things like this. Pathetic
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They have repeated many times during courseworks how to do this its in their handbook. Open book written exams is not coursework its a legitimate written exam and must be included in ur new guidebook. I signed a contract with them the day I enrolled. Pay the same amount of money as other students from other universities. Why shouldnt I recieve the same level of info just because my university thinks us students should “assume” things like this. Pathetic
Maybe because it is common sense?
Different exams yes, but similar concepts. In what situation do you think it would ever be okay to collude or plagiarise? Never is the answer. A university student should know this
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
I have had genuine covid-19 symptoms during the times of my exams and theyve got my medical records now too. Clearly I wasnt in the right frame of mind to ask them regarding anything like this when my health was my main concern. My aim was to get to the finish line as quickly as possible. Therefore it was compulsory from their behalf to provide this information to each individual in their university so they have tht mindset of how to prevent issues regarding this. As for other students they believe I colluded with 10 lol which is absurd as I only hang around with 5 in my class but thrs irrelevant ig
Did you report at the time you believed you had covid 19 and asked to defer?
Its still unclear who you were colluding with and why they think so. There appears to be some part of how you did the exam which you say was not in any of the rules, but they say they are unhappy with. Hard to know without seeing the evidence and examples at first hand.

If you lost the hearing first time, then what did they say to your claim no such guidance was available?
Are you sure you can appeal on the grounds you stated if its already been hears as its normally only new issues or evidence.
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
Maybe because it is common sense?
Different exams yes, but similar concepts. In what situation do you think it would ever be okay to collude or plagiarise? Never is the answer. A university student should know this
Now you are trying to defame someones intelligence. From a university perspective “common sense” is not a suitsble explanation to not overule my appeal. In the world there are humans with different level of intellect. Some are bright some are not so bright. Therefore a university needs to cater for all those types of people by putting it in writing clearly for all students to see. If you wanna talk about “Common sense” then surely the university should have “common sense” to follow other universities higher in credibility and inform their students regarding unfair means in open book exams jesus lmao u sound a bit mad
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Did you report at the time you believed you had covid 19 and asked to defer?
Its still unclear who you were colluding with and why they think so. There appears to be some part of how you did the exam which you say was not in any of the rules, but they say they are unhappy with. Hard to know without seeing the evidence and examples at first hand.

If you lost the hearing first time, then what did they say to your claim no such guidance was available?
Are you sure you can appeal on the grounds you stated if its already been hears as its normally only new issues or evidence.
Yes my student guidance advisor. Advised me to focus on the adequate information point. Clearly she knows what shes saying as she has 20yrs of experience so i trust her for sure. I didnt inform them about this guidance issue in the hearing as I had told them I worked independently. Aint playing all my cards at once. I believe the victory should be mine. I gave em straight facts of their neglect by comparisons from other universities and their own new handbook. As for my health no I did not inform them considering my heslth gets worse as the temperature rises as can be seen by my medical records/GP so why would I wanna do an exam in August when clearly my health could potentially get worse by then.
Last edited by JohnPhillips234; 1 week ago
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
But what unwritten rule are they saying you broke?

As even if they write down “don’t collude, do it on your own” you say you did that anyway?
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Now you are trying to defame someones intelligence. From a university perspective “common sense” is not a suitsble explanation to not overule my appeal. In the world there are humans with different level of intellect. Some are bright some are not so bright. Therefore a university needs to cater for all those types of people by putting it in writing clearly for all students to see. If you wanna talk about “Common sense” then surely the university should have “common sense” to follow other universities higher in credibility and inform their students regarding unfair means in open book exams jesus lmao u sound a bit mad
But is it not common sense to not cheat?
When is it acceptable to cheat?
Anyway, its not clear whether or not you did collude. Were you messaging people throughout the exam or something?
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
But is it not common sense to not cheat?
When is it acceptable to cheat?
Anyway, its not clear whether or not you did collude. Were you messaging people throughout the exam or something?
I denied denied denied during the hearing. Showed proof of how I got my answers yet they did not listen. Ur right you shouldnt cheat but at the same time a university could prevent things like this by educating students on the matter when exams are being conducted completely different in circumstances no one wouldve imagined especially no previous assessment handbook. It also clearly states on their assessment handbook not the new one that “emphasis should be placed on unfair means for staff/students to enhance performance” so why not mention it now lmao very contradicting the university I go to lol I dont let idiots like this win thats for sure.
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Catherine1973)
But what unwritten rule are they saying you broke?

As even if they write down “don’t collude, do it on your own” you say you did that anyway?
They have an issue with similar incorrect answers when clearly anyone can google stuff. Anyone can have notes made during lectures as you clearly can share revision notes as it states in their assessment handbook. As for other minor errors human error can also occur.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's a fair cop, you cheated
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
It's a fair cop, you cheated
Regardless whether or not that is the case. They came to the conclusion I did. However based from the expertise of my student guidance advisor I have a valid case regarding adequate information. The world is a cruel place and sometimes you just gotta join the cruel world to get what you want, so now simply I have shifted the blame back on the university due to obvious neglect. Other univeristies can also vouch for me on tht aspect too lol
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Now you are trying to defame someones intelligence. From a university perspective “common sense” is not a suitsble explanation to not overule my appeal. In the world there are humans with different level of intellect. Some are bright some are not so bright...
I think we all agree on that.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Regardless whether or not that is the case. They came to the conclusion I did. However based from the expertise of my student guidance advisor I have a valid case regarding adequate information. The world is a cruel place and sometimes you just gotta join the cruel world to get what you want, so now simply I have shifted the blame back on the university due to obvious neglect. Other univeristies can also vouch for me on tht aspect too lol
They won't care what other institutions did

You are a cheat
JohnPhillips234
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
They won't care what other institutions did

You are a cheat
Clearly they will have to care as to what other universities did because those universities are more credible than them. Therefore my university needs to aspire to get to their level and u can only do that by implementing the same principles as to what those other universities are doing. Otherwise from a university perpsective that is not a good enough reason to not provide the relevant details of what to do/dont do in an open book exam😛
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What was your punishment for collusion btw? If you win, what do you expect to gain, e.g. your original attempt to be upheld?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (33)
8.03%
Confident (55)
13.38%
Indifferent (58)
14.11%
Unsure (105)
25.55%
Worried (160)
38.93%

Watched Threads