1 litre car for motorway travel

Watch
Powerzolt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
I'm planning on getting a vw polo 1L for when i travel to university. I'm planning on going to the Univerisity of Nottingham which is about 2 and a half hours away from home. My parents really don't want me to get this one because they said i'll need to possibly go back home every once in a while and then travel to Nottingham so now i wonder if getting a 1L is a good idea
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Why do you even need a car if your journey is not say every weekend? If you really do, I would advocate waiting until nearer the time you start as I think prices will come down (I have suggested waiting on other threads- sadly there will be job losses in the autumn and some people desperate to get rid of a car).

As for a 1 litre car, it may take you a few minutes longer, but on a 2 1/2 jour journey made once a month or maybe less often, no big deal.
Karisa96
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
It depends.
Quite alot of 1, litre cars are fitted with turbos so in fact performs more like a 1.2.
If you are travelling a distance to uni, economy is important, so i would stick with it.
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Powerzolt)
I'm planning on getting a vw polo 1L for when i travel to university. I'm planning on going to the Univerisity of Nottingham which is about 2 and a half hours away from home. My parents really don't want me to get this one because they said i'll need to possibly go back home every once in a while and then travel to Nottingham so now i wonder if getting a 1L is a good idea
I drive my 3 cylinder 1.0 VW Up! on t'motorways without a second thought.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Rather you than me.
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Karisa96)
It depends.
Quite alot of 1, litre cars are fitted with turbos so in fact performs more like a 1.2.
If you are travelling a distance to uni, economy is important, so i would stick with it.
A turbo one litre will have power more like a 1.4-1.6. More torque than that as well.

In terms of a 1 litre on the motorway, it'll physically maintain 70mph fine, it'll just be a lot louder than a more powerful car. My diesel A6 cruises on the motorway at 70mph at a hair over 2000rpm. My partner's old 1.4 Ibiza would be at around 3500rpm doing the same speed. Hilly dual carriageways will most likely see you dropping to 4th gear to maintain speed as well. It makes a big difference to driver fatigue and comfort over long distances.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 12 hours ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
A turbo one litre will have power more like a 1.4-1.6. More torque than that as well.
And drain your budget if the turbo fails.

In terms of a 1 litre on the motorway, it'll physically maintain 70mph fine, it'll just be a lot louder than a more powerful car.
Nonsense. How fast do you expect to travel 120mph? If not, there won't be any noticeable noise difference.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 12 hours ago
(Original post by Powerzolt)
How much will the car, insurance, etc, cost you? Where would you park it? What would public transport, or even a taxi, cost?

A car will most likely be a liability at university. Just insuring it is likely to cost more than pre-booking a car to drive you between the two a few times each term. Public transport, whilst a bit of a pain, will cost a fraction of a car's running costs.
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 hours ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
And drain your budget if the turbo fails.

Nonsense. How fast do you expect to travel 120mph? If not, there won't be any noticeable noise difference.
Trust me, there will be a noticeable difference.

My parents have an old 1.1l Citroen Saxo (from 2000) and whilst it's still great for single carriageways, it struggles on dual carriageways and motorways. At 70mph it does about 3750 rpm in 5th gear - so my parents drive it at 55mph instead (just under 3000 rpm) which is inherently unsafe on a 70mph road.

I'm sure technology will have improved over the years, and a 1 liter engine with turbo will have more power (so can have slightly higher gears), but it still won't be too happy at 70mph (in terms of engine RPM) compared to something with a bigger engine. For fuel efficiency, you don't want to go much above 3000 RPM in a petrol, or 2000 RPM in a diesel.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 12 hours ago
In terms of a 1 litre on the motorway, it'll physically maintain 70mph fine, it'll just be a lot louder than a more powerful car.
Nah. My McLaren is a lot louder ..

Whilst engine revs will make a difference (although a turbo will allow the revs to be lower), the size / weight of the car and quantity of sound deadening will make a much bigger difference, IMO.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 12 hours ago
More torque than that as well.
Let's not use the T word - it's widely misunderstood.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 12 hours ago
(Original post by spotify95)
My parents have an old 1.1l Citroen Saxo (from 2000) and whilst it's still great for single carriageways, it struggles on dual carriageways and motorways. At 70mph it does about 3750 rpm in 5th gear - so my parents drive it at 55mph instead (just under 3000 rpm) which is inherently unsafe on a 70mph road.
I've driven through the wild steppes of the East from South to North, and from East to West in a 1.1 liter 54HP car, and I haven't noticed any problematic noise at speeds around 70mph, neither have I noticed 55mph being unsafe and in Poland the legal speed on motorways is 88mph. The only reason I wouldn't advice going more than 100mph on them is significantly higer fuel consumption.

Besides, even if there is some difference, it's not worth to spend a lot more on insurance, more on fuel and more on the car itself, while all what you have to do is to go to the chemist's and buy ear-plugs for 1 quit. The difference they give is MUCH bigger than the difference between a 1 liter and a 2 liter, not to mention 1.4 which typically has very same gear ratios.
(Original post by spotify95)
For fuel efficiency, you don't want to go much above 3000 RPM in a petrol, or 2000 RPM in a diesel.
Generally yes, but 1 liter should still be able to run at 75mph, and easily manage 6,5l/100kph, that is mpg over 36. Unless the driver does lots of large unnecessary speed changes or the car is broken.
My Polonez with early 90ies Rover K16 engine and aerodynamics of a brick, doesn't do less than 30 mpg at 75mph and it has like 4000rpms at 75mph.
Last edited by PTMalewski; 12 hours ago
Bruhmomentlmao
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 minute ago
1.0 3 cylinder engines are not great for anything, unless they have a turbo. They will still be rough and feel sluggish. Go for a 1.3 or 1.4 4 cylinder. My 1332cc has 74 bhp and is more than enough for 70 or 80 mph travel with decent economy, but wouldn't go any lower than 70 in a car which weighs more than 900kg
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (28)
21.21%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (35)
26.52%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (18)
13.64%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (31)
23.48%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (11)
8.33%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
6.82%

Watched Threads