V1590 – Prescription Charge Abolition Bill 2020 (Second Reading)

Watch
Poll: Should this Bill be passed into law?
As many as are of the opinion, aye. (29)
60.42%
Of the contrary, no. (18)
37.5%
Abstain. (1)
2.08%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
B1590 – Prescription Charge Abolition Bill 2020 (Second Reading), TSR Liberal Democrats, TSR Labour Party

Prescription Charge Abolition Bill 2020

An Act abolishing prescription charges for everyone in England.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Repeal of relevant legislation
(1) Section 131 of the National Health Service Act 2006 is repealed.
(2) Paragraph 172(1)(a) of the National Health Service Act 2006 is amended to 'the supply under this Act of appliances (including the replacement and repair of those appliances), and'.
(3) Paragraph 172(1)(b) of the National Health Service Act 2006 is repealed.
(4) Paragraphs 173(1)(a) and 173(1)(b) of the National Health Service Act 2006 are repealed.
(5) Section 178 of the National Health Service Act 2006 is repealed.

2: Repeal of relevant regulations
(1) Paragraphs 3(1)(c), 3(2)(c), 4(1)(c), 5(1)(c), 6(1)(e) and 7(1)(c) of the National Health Service (Charges for Drugs and Appliances) Regulations 2015 are repealed.
(2) Section 8 of the National Health Service (Charges for Drugs and Appliances) Regulations 2015 is repealed.
(3) Paragraph 9(1)(e) of the National Health Service (Charges for Drugs and Appliances) Regulations 2015 is repealed.

3: Ban on charges
(1) The National Health Service may not levy a charge for prescribed medicines or pharmaceutical services to British citizens or persons normally resident in the United Kingdom, unless under an exception provided for by this Act or the National Health Service Act 2006.
(2) Where a prescribed medicine is available for sale without a prescription in the pharmacy where a prescription is dispensed, the pharmacy may charge for the prescribed medicine.
(2) (a) This charge may be no higher than the sale price of the prescribed medicine, or five pounds, whichever is the lower.

4: Charging of persons not normally resident in the United Kingdom
(1) The Secretary of State may impose a charge for prescribed medicines or pharmaceutical services on persons not normally resident in the United Kingdom, who are not British citizens.
(2) This charge may be no higher than the cost of the prescribed medicine or pharmaceutical service, or ten pounds, whichever is the lower.

5: Definitions
(1) ‘Prescribed medicines’ refers to any medicine prescribed by an NHS doctor.
(2) ‘Pharmaceutical services’ refers to any medical service provided by a pharmacist.

6: Extent, commencement and short title
(1) This Act extends to England.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on 1st April 2022.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Prescription Charge Abolition Act 2020.

Notes
This bill follows Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and abolishes prescription charges in England, ensuring that medicines prescribed in the NHS are available free at the point of use.

The bill includes exceptions: one for people who are neither UK citizens nor normally live in the UK. A charge may be levied on them.

The second exception is where the patient could have bought a medicine off the shelf or over the counter without a prescription. In this case, a charge of cost or up to £5 can be levied. This is to stop people abusing free prescriptions for medicines that are cheap to buy, such as basic painkillers.

Currently only around one in five people pay prescription charges in England, and only about 10 per cent of prescriptions are paid for. The King's Fund think tank suggest the cost may range from £575m to £750m, though NHS Wales believes that abolition has saved it money.

Changes for second reading
The changes to the NHS Act 2006 are now more selective, to exclude appliances from this reform and restrict it to medicines. A much more selective set of changes to the accompanying regulations are also made to reflect this, with most regulations left in place to cover appliances.

Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So much for the NHS being tight on cash, the left wanting to put more money in the pockets of the wealthy instead of in the NHS coffers.
Theloniouss
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think, considering NHS Wales believes it has overall saved money, I will support this.
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye as before.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
I think, considering NHS Wales believes it has overall saved money, I will support this.
The question is via what trickery do they make it to be cheaper.

It is also worth noting I cannot see in that article where the NHS says money has been saved, only a politician that supports it saying it has saved money, indeed the Welsh Government is, in that article, admitting the policy cost £593m in 2015. In fact I do not see any statement from NHS Wales, only from politicians

Breakdown of the article:
Labour politicians says it's saved money

Tory politician says it's costing too much

Background

full quote from the Labour politician

Fully quote from the Tory politician

Statements from PC and LD so they don't get upset or something

a bit more background
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 1 month ago
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JMR2020.)
Aye as before.
What other de facto taxes aimed at the wealthy should we abolish? Maybe we can go for IHT next
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
What other de facto taxes aimed at the wealthy should we abolish? Maybe we can go for IHT next
None.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Although TDA made a valid attempt, i was not convinced.

I voted against.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Whoops, can you change my vote to nay please... i wasnt paying attention when i clicked
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
QFA
^^
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JMR2020.)
None.
So why get rid of this one? There is no evidence it actually saves money, contrary to the lies presented in the notes, and it is the high income that benefit.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did anyone really think we'd get a division with 0 abstentions? Nor did I.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's interesting how readily the house will throw away 25,000+ years of life per year just to relieve the wealthy of a stealth tax
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 1 month ago
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Did anyone really think we'd get a division with 0 abstentions? Nor did I.
There's always one
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
There's always one
Better than most of the rest of the "centre right" party that wish to waste limited resources in this way
Andrew97
Rep:
?
One Aye has been changed to a Nay for Napp

The following Votes have been removed:

Aye:
14148tyrrella (Not an MP)
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Order, Order!

The Ayes to the right: 27
The Noes to the left: 19
Abstains: 1

The Ayes have it, The Ayes have it. Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (177)
38.06%
Take autumn exams (143)
30.75%
Look for a job (16)
3.44%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.52%
Take a year out (80)
17.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
6.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed