The Student Room Group

The Housing Register (Social Housing) - My Question ...

Please can anyone help me with this ?..

I am a 37 years old male. Originally from another country. I have been living in London for more than 20 years. And have been living in the same borough of London for almost 20 years and 4 months.

I made and submitted an application to be put on the Housing Register, for social housing (or similar) in 2015. But my application was then officially REJECTED. Meaning they would not grant my request for a free / social housing.

My question is this ... Can I apply for the Housing Register AGAIN ? Legally, do I have the right to ? And to be considered AGAIN, like a new, separate case, or a separate application ?

If the answer is Yes ... then how many times is an individual in the UK (or London) allowed to apply for the Housing Register ? Is it an unlimited number of times ?

And is there any particular TIME SPACE that has to pass, between any two applications, from the same individual ?

Thank you very much for reading this, and for your help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any information ?
Reply 2
Thanks !
No, I didn't ask for it to be reviewed. I am not even sure I would have the right, to.
It was a long time ago, and I do not fully remember .. but the reasons they gave in the rejection letter, were basically something like : your housing situation is not the one to pose any health hazard, or a potential health hazard, or anti sanitary conditions ... and your living space available to you (in my present flat) is not limited enough, or small enough [presumably to necessitate granting me another accommodation]. Regarding the space available for my use, in my present flat - that they must have judged from my answers to questions in the application form. Those were basically the main reasons. Plus .. they may possibly have added something like ... the social housing availability is very limited .. and they can only provide social housing to people in greatest need or most suitable circumstances. Or maybe that was what I read before.
Me explaining to them, in the application form, that - once my immediate family leave the city or the country, I will basically have nowhere to live in this country, or no readily available accommodation (or something along those lines) - obviously had not had a decisive or radical effect.
As to the Citizens Advice Bureau - no, I do not think I spoke to them regarding an application. Thanks for the advice though. However, earlier in time, about 2012, I did speak to one adviser regarding social housing and applying for the Housing Register. From my conversation with that lady, it was clear that my chances of being granted any FREE accommodation, are somewhat slim. ''You are a young, healthy male'' - she told me. I was then 29. But applied for the Housing Register at 32, I think.
Either that lady, or the rejection letter I received in about 2015, mentioned the concept of Shared Accommodation (presumably as one of the options available in my situation). But shared accommodation, as far as I understand, is not something totally for free. I would have to pay.
Reply 3
Any other information or contribution, anyone ?...
you could apply again, but generally to get anywhere in most councils you'd have to have a family with a low income, a disability or be vulnerable for a reason, single healthy people would get rejected as most waiting lists are years for those that do meet any of the criteria.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
you could apply again, but generally to get anywhere in most councils you'd have to have a family with a low income, a disability or be vulnerable for a reason, single healthy people would get rejected as most waiting lists are years for those that do meet any of the criteria.

Thank you very much for this. Then it is not surprising why I was rejected. Although, when I applied about 5 years ago, I wasn't really giving it much of a chance that I would be accepted. Ok - I can apply again. That is mainly, what I wanted to establish.
Contact shelter they will more than help you
Reply 7
Original post by laughinglad999
Contact shelter they will more than help you

Thank you!
Reply 8
Any other help or contribution for this topic ?...
Reply 9
Maybe some other people to contribute information ?
It seems someone online wrote to me something like ... that if I have been living in the SAME area of London / same borough for a long time, then the council cannot or should not reject my housing register application.
I have indeed been living in the same borough of London, and actually the same address, for the last 20 and a half years.
Yet, when I applied in about 2015, after 15 years residing in the same place, my housing register application was still rejected.
How would anyone comment regarding this particular issue ? Does a long history of living at the same address / same area of London, qualify me for being accepted for social / free housing ?
Any other people can help ?
If you have somewhere to live, why are you applying for a council house?
Original post by black tea
If you have somewhere to live, why are you applying for a council house?

Thank you.
I am not applying NOW, I applied about 5 years ago.
Why ? Because ...
- My family member advised me (or even wanted me to) to seek social or council housing ; and my mother knew someone who, apparently, obtained social housing here in the UK or London without many problems at all.
- Because if and when my immediate family leave the UK and relocate, I will have nowhere to live on my own, in this country (our current rented flat would be too expensive for me to rent), therefore sooner or later I will be without a home. Neither me nor my family OWN any living space in the UK. And I want to remain in this country.
- And this was not necessarily a reason ... but ... I am 37 years old (I was about 32 when I applied), and, not surprisingly, I want to live on my own, separately from my immediate family. Even IF we stayed here in the UK. While I am living with them in our rented flat, it is not possible for me to live separately. Again, not surprisingly.
Does a LONG period of living in the SAME area and at the same address, mean that I should be accepted for the Housing Register ?
Original post by Anonymous
Does a LONG period of living in the SAME area and at the same address, mean that I should be accepted for the Housing Register ?

no
Thank you. Therefore, when someone online suggested to me something to that effect, they were wrong ?
Talk with shelter regards this matter
Original post by Scottishlad888
Talk with shelter regards this matter

Thank you.
Any other help or information ?

Quick Reply

Latest