Want more information about this university?
cam03ward
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Just researching accomodation for Uni of Sheffield, wondering if there is much difference between the halls and whether the Ranmoor/Endcliffe or City campus is better. Is there also a list of undergraduate halls? Had a look on the website but it all seems pretty vague and generalised.
Cheers
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi!

I've lived in city accommodation in my first year (Allen Court) in an Ensuite room. All the different campus locations have similar rooms in my opinion but you would have to choose the kind of room that you want to live in. For example, an Ensuite room is different from a Shared Bathroom or a Deluxe room. There are 360 tours of these different room types on the Uni website and you can view the ones available for undergraduate students. Undergraduate students live in all of the accommodation locations whether it's City or Ranmoor/ Endcliffe. In terms of the campus itself, I think Ranmoor and Endcliffe has a prettier campus because firstly, it's bigger than the city one and secondly, it's a little away from the city so it has its own bar, cafe, studios etc. I chose to live in Allen Court since my department was literally 2 minutes away from my accommodation so I chose convenience over anything because I'm lazy haha! But Endcliffe/ Ranmoor are like 20-25 mins walk away from the main campus and there are also frequent buses that run from the accommodation to the Uni.

I think here you can see the different types of rooms available for undergraduate students and they have 360-degree virutal tours too: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommod.../undergraduate
You can also contact the accommodation team if you have any further specific queries: [email protected]

Feel free to ask me anything else!

-Sanchari
georgiehy
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by cam03ward)
Just researching accomodation for Uni of Sheffield, wondering if there is much difference between the halls and whether the Ranmoor/Endcliffe or City campus is better. Is there also a list of undergraduate halls? Had a look on the website but it all seems pretty vague and generalised.
Cheers
I can't speak from experience, but I've also been looking into this as I'm thinking about applying to Sheffield next year - apparently ranmoor/endcliffe is better in terms of it being more student-y and just more sociable. Would like to hear others opinions on this as this is just what I've heard
University of Sheffield Students
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by cam03ward)
Cheers
Hi,

I am a current University of Sheffield student and have just moved out of Student accommodation this year at the end of my 1st year. I lived in Ranmoor (Kinder) and had friends in Endcliffe and City so have visted all the accommodations. I personally loved my accommodation in Ranmoor, it's in a really green space which makes it a nice quiet area. Ranmoor has a nice studenty feel to the area, you have the Ridge which is a common space with computers, drinks and games as well as having the free gym which I thought was great. Endcliffe is pretty similar but more busy and a bit more lively I would say as its so much bigger than Ranmoor , they have an common area too called the Edge but it doesn't have the gym. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are only 10 mins away from one another and you will find you have friends in both so it's really handy being near by. City accommodation is a lot more modern and you do have TV's in the ensuite flats common area which you don't have in Endcliffe and Ranmoor. City accommodation is so much closer to campus as well making it easier for those early morning lectures! Even though I personally enjoyed the walk from Ranmoor. The only negative I would give city accommodation is that most freshers are in Ranmoor and Endcliffe. I know from my friends in city they didn't enjoy walking about 45 mins to Ranmoor and Endcliffe to meet up as we found more social gatherings were held in Endcliffe.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Alisha
1st Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
georgiehy
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by University of Sheffield Students)
Hi,

I am a current University of Sheffield student and have just moved out of Student accommodation this year at the end of my 1st year. I lived in Ranmoor (Kinder) and had friends in Endcliffe and City so have visted all the accommodations. I personally loved my accommodation in Ranmoor, it's in a really green space which makes it a nice quiet area. Ranmoor has a nice studenty feel to the area, you have the Ridge which is a common space with computers, drinks and games as well as having the free gym which I thought was great. Endcliffe is pretty similar but more busy and a bit more lively I would say as its so much bigger than Ranmoor , they have an common area too called the Edge but it doesn't have the gym. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are only 10 mins away from one another and you will find you have friends in both so it's really handy being near by. City accommodation is a lot more modern and you do have TV's in the ensuite flats common area which you don't have in Endcliffe and Ranmoor. City accommodation is so much closer to campus as well making it easier for those early morning lectures! Even though I personally enjoyed the walk from Ranmoor. The only negative I would give city accommodation is that most freshers are in Ranmoor and Endcliffe. I know from my friends in city they didn't enjoy walking about 45 mins to Ranmoor and Endcliffe to meet up as we found more social gatherings were held in Endcliffe.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Alisha
1st Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
How flexible did you find the accommodation application process? ie. could you choose which individual room you wanted, in which flat, etc. or is it more of a case of choosing whether you want catered/self-catered, shared bathroom/ensuite and just being randomly allocated a room? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (60)
19.42%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (65)
21.04%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
18.77%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (66)
21.36%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (31)
10.03%
I haven't started researching yet (29)
9.39%

Watched Threads