How to be a veterinary nurse with bad gcses

Watch
Curomiii
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
GCSEs when ugh for me. With a bad situation at home that is still on going and having my 59 year old grandma die from cancer along with bullying at school I'm surprised I got a 4 in maths a 5 in English and a 5 in science.
I'm currently studying art but I don't feel happy.
I want to get into veterinary nursing as im an animal lover and I feel it'll help me get away from my parents.
Whenever I look online I see veterinary nursing assistant agree but u need good GCSEs to even get in the course.
Any suggests on where to start, what things I need to do and how to sign up to them will be much appreciated
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Curomiii)
GCSEs when ugh for me. With a bad situation at home that is still on going and having my 59 year old grandma die from cancer along with bullying at school I'm surprised I got a 4 in maths a 5 in English and a 5 in science.
I'm currently studying art but I don't feel happy.
I want to get into veterinary nursing as im an animal lover and I feel it'll help me get away from my parents.
Whenever I look online I see veterinary nursing assistant agree but u need good GCSEs to even get in the course.
Any suggests on where to start, what things I need to do and how to sign up to them will be much appreciated
Your GCSEs seem ok for some unis although to do a vet nursing degree you will probably need A levels including Biology. Would that be an option for you?

https://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/underg...nursing-degree
vetstudent123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would definitely recommend getting some experience at vet clinics and other animal placements such as farms, stables and kennels. This will not only be beneficial (maybe even required?) for your applications, but it will also make sure you know what the industry is like - being an animal lover is not always enough.

Good luck with everything!
CC!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I'm guessing you're about finished with your art course. I would recommend searching your local colleges for ones which run the Level 3 Animal Management course (2 years). As that will give you a direct path into most uni's. I went down that route and it was the best two years I've had! Applied to Bristol and firmed my place for starting this October.
For the Level 3 animal management, you do usually need 5 GCSE's 9-4 (A* - C). But if you don't achieve these, you can normally do the L2 for a year first and then progress onto level 3 afterwards. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me
Curomiii
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Update:Thank you everyone who replied.
I decided to take CC! advice and now I'm waiting to get a interview with a college where I'll do level 2 or 3 animal management.
This coarse will help me get the qualifications for a veterinary nursing uni, and the college even has accommodation so ill be away from home 90% of the time.
Wish me luck~
CC!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Great choice! Glad the advice was helpful. You will gain a lot of hands on experience with animals during the course that you don't get through A levels. So it's definitely a plus of doing the Btec! We only had 3 exams over the 2 years. And two of them were open book so you could take notes in with you! Much easier. Good luck with the course! And best of luck for the future for uni x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (71)
19.03%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (76)
20.38%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (68)
18.23%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (78)
20.91%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (39)
10.46%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
10.99%

Watched Threads