Will stating that I am gay affect me getting into good unis?

Watch
maddierm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have just turned 16 and I am starting sixth form in September, I’m just beginning to think about university which I will most likely start in 2022. I identify as a lesbian and I know a lot of application forms ask your sexual orientation. I am wondering if saying that I am gay will damage, increase or not affect my chances of getting into a good university? (I am thinking about Oxford but I’m not sure I’ll get in, Durham and York are two others I am considering).

I don’t know what the best option to choose is: Lesbian, prefer not to say, or heterosexual (although choosing the last one would be a lie).

Sorry if this is a silly question, I’m new here and I don’t really know how to use the website properly.
Last edited by maddierm; 1 week ago
bluemuffin
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think it’s unlikely to affect your chances of getting in. You could always select “prefer not to say” if in doubt though
Sam.C.Mat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do university application forms really ask minors to reveal their sexual orientation?
That seems inappropriate and unnecessary (and other negative words)
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by maddierm)
I have just turned 16 and I am starting sixth form in September, I’m just beginning to think about university which I will most likely start in 2022. I identify as a lesbian and I know a lot of application forms ask your sexual orientation. I am wondering if saying that I am gay will damage, increase or not affect my chances of getting into a good university? (I am thinking about Oxford but I’m not sure I’ll get in, Durham and York are two others I am considering).

I don’t know what the best option to choose is: Lesbian, prefer not to say, or heterosexual (although choosing the last one would be a lie).

Sorry if this is a silly question, I’m new here and I don’t really know how to use the website properly.
I have to assume good faith here, even though it's incredibly difficult for me to so do...

Your sexual orientation has no relevance to whether or not you'll be offered a place, which is done on academic merit only.

If you're still worried, the monitoring information is separate from the academic application anyway, and the two are separated.

Honestly - it's not 1953 any longer, and you're not applying to MI5. It's really entirely irrelevant to a university application
remussjhj01
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From the best of my knowledge, that information (about sexuality, gender identity etc) isn't released to the unis until either after you've got an offer or after you've accepted an offer. I wouldn't worry about but again, you can just put 'prefer not to say'.
If it's any kind of consolation, I put that I was transgender on both my university and conservatoire applications, and received several offers.

(Original post by Sam.C.Mat)
Do university application forms really ask minors to reveal their sexual orientation?
It's just used for diversity statistics and student support!
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It won't impact anything.

I talked about being the LGBT women's representative in my college's student association in my personal statement. Nowhere turned me away because of it.
rishi_ultimate
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

People denying you for who you are is just homophobic and shouldnt impact where u wanna go in future. Altering the chances of you getting into ur preferred university just because of your orientation is something that wouldnt and shouldnt happen. It isnt a move renowned Unis belonging to the Russell Group would do.
maddierm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Sam.C.Mat)
I’m not sure; I’ve seen other people say they were asked for their sexuality? However I don’t know yet as I won’t be starting applications for a while
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m not sure; I’ve seen other people say they were asked for their sexuality? However I don’t know yet as I won’t be starting applications for a while
It is normal for sexuality, race or disability to be asked for in any job application. It is used for stats and sometimes used to prove minorities percentages. It is never used against an individual. In fact it is illegal to act against anyone on the basis of race, sexuality, disability or any other discriminatory reason.
emilybond:)
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It doesn’t affect your application the university can’t even see that information , its just used by ucas for statistical reasons
avacavil
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
wow wait till you get to sixth form
avacavil
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
wait till year 13 then consider it
physicsamor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Kind of reminds me of me filling out my application years ago, my mum wanted to check over mine so I filled in straight and Catholic heheheehe which wasn't true at all. As others said it's just for stats and diversity data. Means nothing.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This information is not visible to anyone involved in admissions decision making.

If you are still concerned, you can opt not to declare this.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It would be literally illegal for them to discriminate against you on those grounds, and in the current era of increased demands for transparency from universities, freedom of information act requests, GDPR individual data requests, and heightened levels of litigiousness among the general population, I don't think any university would dare risk their reputation (or more importantly, their finances) by allowing such blatant discrimination when it would almost immediately become public knowledge.

As outlined above, my understanding is that data about e.g. sexuality, ethnicity etc, is anonymised and not directly visible by admissions tutors anyway; the purpose is for the university to be able to discern wider scale, longer term trends in recruitment and if they find certain groups are underrepresented they can focus outreach work in future on those groups if need be.
Linden5
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Why would your sexual orientation affect your chances of getting in? They don’t care about that😂
IonaBubble
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

The figures are usually collected for statistics of the overall student population. The equality act ensured this factor along with others are not Going to affect your application. If you are rejected it will be because you don’t meet the grade/they don’t like your personal statement or your reference. Your adviser at your school will tell you the same sort of thing.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It will absolutely make no difference at all, and I am talking about Oxford here. I know several gay people who have won places to Oxford or are still studying there. None of them have suffered from discrimination as far as I know. I would imagine that Oxford is one of the safest places to come out as gay.

Please please do not let this hinder your application to Oxford. If you are concerned then you are honestly worrying about nothing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (71)
19.03%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (76)
20.38%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (68)
18.23%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (78)
20.91%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (39)
10.46%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
10.99%

Watched Threads