MattB83
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I finished A levels in 2017, my results being B,C,D in Maths, Biology and Further Maths respectively. These for me were disappointing results, but not surprising because at that age I was immature and did little or no work towards exams, after breezing through GCSE’s with hardly any revision and getting a couple of A*s in Maths and English, and A’s in everything else, I thought I could do the same at A level and obviously it didn’t work out. I’m 21 now and have been working for 3 years in jobs I hate. My plan was always to be a doctor or something in medicine, but the lack of effort I put in during my two years at sixth form made this impossible. I want to take A levels again but I’m unsure of how to go about this. I know for medicine related degrees the typical A-levels are Maths, Biology, and Chemistry, and I did do chemistry at AS level but didn’t take it further. If anyone has any knowledge on how I can go about taking A-levels again and any courses that are available online etc I’d appreciate it
TheBritishMuslim
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
how about Access to Medicine course
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MattB83)
I finished A levels in 2017, my results being B,C,D in Maths, Biology and Further Maths respectively. These for me were disappointing results, but not surprising because at that age I was immature and did little or no work towards exams, after breezing through GCSE’s with hardly any revision and getting a couple of A*s in Maths and English, and A’s in everything else, I thought I could do the same at A level and obviously it didn’t work out. I’m 21 now and have been working for 3 years in jobs I hate. My plan was always to be a doctor or something in medicine, but the lack of effort I put in during my two years at sixth form made this impossible. I want to take A levels again but I’m unsure of how to go about this. I know for medicine related degrees the typical A-levels are Maths, Biology, and Chemistry, and I did do chemistry at AS level but didn’t take it further. If anyone has any knowledge on how I can go about taking A-levels again and any courses that are available online etc I’d appreciate it
I know you wanted to do Medicine, but the Medicine forum probably isn't the right place for this question (i.e. courses for adult A-Levels) itself.

I have moved it to the A-Levels forum, hopefully you will get a better response here.

Feel free to post again in the Medicine forum when you have a question about application to Medicine (e.g. how to gain work experience, how to prepare for UCAT, which medical school to apply to etc. etc.).

Good luck!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MattB83)
To be a doctor you need to be committed and well-organised so you get past the several hurdles that are in front of you. You can ask ecolier or just post in the medics forum.
There are three ways to do A levels.

1. College- very rare colleges run classes for A levels these days as they mostly run access but you should check.
2. Online course- distance learning provider. Plenty of these, they just send you notes and mark some essays. People like cloud learn are standard.
3. Self taught- just get a textbook and teach it yourself with or without a tutor.
The person#2 pointed out Access to Medicine which can be enough, but it can be limited to a degree at the local uni because they have connections.

I point out the following issues.

1. Subjects: The most flexible choices are Chem plus Bio and one other. You will need AAA predicted and real.
2. Repeat A levels. Medic school often have a requirement of no resits. You have already sat Maths and Bio. For the unis which enforce this rule then you rule yourself out. I would say its in the region of40-50%. That still leaves you just under 20 to apply for.
3. You will have to fund exams yourself unless its at a college where you might get a loan.
4. Costs for an A level would be

Cost of online course [ c £400-500 ] Other charge more up to £1,000, but give you better access.
Cost of books if not doing course [ £50-100]
Cost of exam being marked [£100]
Cost of sitting the exam at an exam centre [ £200-400]
Cost of practical endorsement per science [ £800- 1200]

As you can see the science Bio or Chem are expensive because of the endorsement. If you already have it then see about transferring the credit.

You can do your own sums about min and max costs.
There are other aspects such as UKcat and work experience, but you can get the medics to answer those.
Anyway thats enough for you to be going on with. If you really want to do Medicine then commit and put in the effort.

ecolier
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (34)
7.94%
Confident (56)
13.08%
Indifferent (60)
14.02%
Unsure (111)
25.93%
Worried (167)
39.02%

Watched Threads