Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've always bought phones direct through networks. (ie straight from o2) But the phone I want to get is coming out exclusively with carphone warehouse. Hopefully it'll still be on the networks I can use (very poor signal at my house), but I was wondering if people had any experience with carphone warehouse? I don't really know how they work. Do you still get all the billing from the network, or do you have to go through carphone warehouse for everything? Would I, for example, still be able to use the My O2 facilities and things?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lupie)
    Hey, I've always bought phones direct through networks. (ie straight from o2) But the phone I want to get is coming out exclusively with carphone warehouse. Hopefully it'll still be on the networks I can use (very poor signal at my house), but I was wondering if people had any experience with carphone warehouse? I don't really know how they work. Do you still get all the billing from the network, or do you have to go through carphone warehouse for everything? Would I, for example, still be able to use the My O2 facilities and things?

Cheers
    Everythings the same except you buy it froma different shop and so if you have problems you take it to that shop.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Zerodos)
    Everythings the same except you buy it froma different shop and so if you have problems you take it to that shop.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can still register your phone on the O2 website and get those 10 odd free monthly texts - it's basicly just like buying a phone from any other place, it's just a different shop.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help, good to know! Now just gotta decide whether to go with carphone warehouse when the phone comes out or wait until their exclusivity runs out and get it from o2 and get a better tarriff. Decisions!

ReputationRep:
    Very often we offer pretty much the same deals (or maybe better) as going directly to the network's retail shops. By upgrading through the Carphone Warehouse we just change your phone. Everything to do with your account, i.e. payments etc is left alone.

We also change your tariff. It won't be possible to remain on your existing tariff and you'll have to change your tariff to one of O2's newest tariffs (which are the same as the ones offered by O2 directly). Note your contract will still be with O2 and not with O2 CPW (the old CPW variant of O2).

O2's 18 month tariffs:

£25 200m + 200txt
    £30 400m + 500txt
    £35 600m + 500txt
    £45 1200m + 500txt
    £75 3000m + 500txt

In addition you'll also get to pick one free bolt-on. Normally £7.50 each, you have a choice of:

UNLTD O2-O2 calls
    UNTLD Anytime texts
    UNLTD Weekend calls
    UNLTD Landline calls
    UNLTD O2 Web bolt on
    UNLTD Wifi
    or an additional 200 extra anytime minutes

Hope this helps!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianofingers)
    Very often we offer pretty much the same deals (or maybe better) as going directly to the network's retail shops. By upgrading through the Carphone Warehouse we just change your phone. Everything to do with your account, i.e. payments etc is left alone.

We also change your tariff. It won't be possible to remain on your existing tariff and you'll have to change your tariff to one of O2's newest tariffs (which are the same as the ones offered by O2 directly). Note your contract will still be with O2 and not with O2 CPW (the old CPW variant of O2).

O2's 18 month tariffs:

£25 200m + 200txt
    £30 400m + 500txt
    £35 600m + 500txt
    £45 1200m + 500txt
    £75 3000m + 500txt

In addition you'll also get to pick one free bolt-on. Normally £7.50 each, you have a choice of:

UNLTD O2-O2 calls
    UNTLD Anytime texts
    UNLTD Weekend calls
    UNLTD Landline calls
    UNLTD O2 Web bolt on
    UNLTD Wifi

Hope this helps!!
    Hey, thanks!

Would I still get the free bolt on if i did it through carphone warehouse's website? The free bolt on was what was making me lean towards waiting until the phone comes out with o2 direct! Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Also, phones purchased from the carphone warehouse are unlocked, i.e they can use any sim card.

Carphone warehouse just give you a sim card with the handset, none of there handsets are tied to any particular network as far as i've experienced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lupie)
    Hey, thanks!

Would I still get the free bolt on if i did it through carphone warehouse's website? The free bolt on was what was making me lean towards waiting until the phone comes out with o2 direct! Cheers!
    Hey Lupie,

I'm pretty sure you would. Then again, to be honest with you I'm not too hot on the online upgrade process as I work in the store but I suspect you'd complete the order online then a member of the sales team would call you to finalise the arrangements or something.

But we do both use the same system so I couldn't see the online upgrade process to be any different.

While we're talking about online stuff..... you can't be an O2 online customer. If you are an O2 online customer connected on an O2 online tariff then CPW cannot upgrade you. If you're a normal O2 customer, and bought your phone over the phone or in a retail store, you'll have no problems.

ReputationRep:
    O2 Contract handsets (bought direct) are also unlocked.

5 N95 8GB's later and none were locked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianofingers)
    Hey Lupie,

I'm pretty sure you would. Then again, to be honest with you I'm not too hot on the online upgrade process as I work in the store but I suspect you'd complete the order online then a member of the sales team would call you to finalise the arrangements or something.

But we do both use the same system so I couldn't see the online upgrade process to be any different.

While we're talking about online stuff..... you can't be an O2 online customer. If you are an O2 online customer connected on an O2 online tariff then CPW cannot upgrade you. If you're a normal O2 customer, and bought your phone over the phone or in a retail store, you'll have no problems.
    Cheers! I'm not actually upgrading. I'd be buying a new contract and phone outright and cancelling my old one. (as it's not actually in my name)
    Perhaps I'll go instore when the phone comes out and ask about the bolt on stuff. As there are better tarriffs on the online CPW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lupie)
    Cheers! I'm not actually upgrading. I'd be buying a new contract and phone outright and cancelling my old one. (as it's not actually in my name)
    Perhaps I'll go instore when the phone comes out and ask about the bolt on stuff. As there are better tarriffs on the online CPW.
    Oops... my bad!

In which case the offer is slightly different!!

You'd still be billed by O2 directly of course, but the tariffs are:

£25 200m + 200txt
    £30 400m + 500txt
    £35 600m + 500txt
    £45 1200m + 500txt
    £75 3000m + 500txt

In addition, you'd the unlimited text bolt-on at no extra cost. This can't be changed, and additional bolt-ons cost £7.50.

UNLTD O2-O2 calls
    UNLTD Weekend calls
    UNLTD Landline calls
    UNLTD O2 Web bolt on
    UNLTD Wifi

However there are some special bolt-ons which Carphone do -- "2-for-1" bolt-ons:

UNLTD Internet + UNLTD weekend calls (£7.50)
    UNLTD Internet + UNLTD landline calls (£7.50)
    UNLTD Internet + 200 extra minutes (£7.50)
    UNLTD Weekend + UNLTD landline calls (£7.50)

So you could have unlimited texts, and two more bolt-ons, all for £7.50, if that makes sense!

This of course is only applicable if your tariff has 600 mintues or more.

Hope this helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 29, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.