The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Help with OU Level 3 Maths

Hi,

There is a scientist with a webpage named janjanjan who went back to pursue a BSc (Hons) Math with the OU.

She shares her views of several level three courses.

Best,

Totoro

Help with OU Level 3 Maths

Hi,

There is a scientist with a webpage named janjanjan who went back to pursue a BSc (Hons) Math with the OU.

Best,

Totoro
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Totoro50
Hi,

Best,

Totoro

Thank you very much, this, along with my uni's forums proved very helpeful and I ended up going with MST326 and MS327.

All the best :smile:
Reply 2
I am glad it could help. I am restarting maths due to a decades long real break. My current goals for Level 3 (in a few years) are M303 Futher Pure Maths, M337 Complex Analysis (Seriously interested in this one) and MST 327. For professional reasons I may be taking futher math classes through an American distance uni as well. The OU items are just for pure enjoyment for me. I am also torn between the Maths or Physics BSc. Neither are for career but just me. Would you mind sharing thoughts on the level two maths modules. And if I can be a bit brazen, would you have the pdfs? I have the hard copies but would welcome the pdfs for portability.
Original post by Totoro50
I am glad it could help. I am restarting maths due to a decades long real break. My current goals for Level 3 (in a few years) are M303 Futher Pure Maths, M337 Complex Analysis (Seriously interested in this one) and MST 327. For professional reasons I may be taking futher math classes through an American distance uni as well. The OU items are just for pure enjoyment for me. I am also torn between the Maths or Physics BSc. Neither are for career but just me. Would you mind sharing thoughts on the level two maths modules. And if I can be a bit brazen, would you have the pdfs? I have the hard copies but would welcome the pdfs for portability.

I took MST210 as my 2nd year module. I enjoyed it much more than the majority of S217 which was a physics module. It's mostly applied maths as it's a modelling related course and was full of life.

I was told MST125 which I took as part of my level 1 studies, has math that is "considered" level 2 maths in terms of difficulty, and that was also an interesting, albeit a duller and lighter module.

I would say the maths & physics degree has a good bit of both, but I think if you're more interested in the maths, go for the maths one as the physical modules tend to explain things more physically than mathematically (which I dislike a little bit). But a physics only course will have much more hands on and research/project based modules and would probably be more fun than a maths & physics or maths degree, if you are interested in physics.
So it's really a do you like pure maths or applied maths.

I do have the PDFs but they are copyrighted and so I can't share them.

All the best with your studies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending