Is it worth it to get an ipad for medical school

Watch
sarazoltan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
I'm (hopefully) starting medicine in September and have saved a bit of money that I'll either buy an ipad with or use as a little bonus while I'm at uni. I've seen so many people say they could never use an ipad over a laptop as using different tabs, USBs and typing things up can be awkward on an ipad, but from what I've heard a lot of these issues have been made better in the new Pro models.
I do have an HP laptop that I could use but it is a little bulky and heavy to carry around, and apparently ipads can be amazing for notes and annotations on diagrams (especially for medicine).
Is it worth it to spend £700 for the ipad Pro, or should I save this money to use at uni as I can still use my laptop, or is there another ipad model that would be better for me?
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by sarazoltan)
I'm (hopefully) starting medicine in September and have saved a bit of money that I'll either buy an ipad with or use as a little bonus while I'm at uni. I've seen so many people say they could never use an ipad over a laptop as using different tabs, USBs and typing things up can be awkward on an ipad, but from what I've heard a lot of these issues have been made better in the new Pro models.
I do have an HP laptop that I could use but it is a little bulky and heavy to carry around, and apparently ipads can be amazing for notes and annotations on diagrams (especially for medicine).
Is it worth it to spend £700 for the ipad Pro, or should I save this money to use at uni as I can still use my laptop, or is there another ipad model that would be better for me?
Wait until you're at uni and have done a week or two of lectures then decide, especially if you're planning to keep the money until then anyway. It's better to think "I wish I had an iPad" and then go out and buy one, than to think "I really didn't need this iPad" and either get no use for it or sell it at a loss.
GotAQQuestion
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I would say Mac would be better personally
vetstudent123
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I have a laptop and an ipad for when i fancy doing things differently.

I like using the ipad for when i want to annotate slides in a lecture rather than type stuff out. It’s particularly useful for lectures that have more images than others eg histology. Then i use my laptop for lectures that will need more typing.
SamiahAB
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
i think the ipad definitely worth it! especially as a med student where theres a load of content to memorise, an ipad allows you to combine written and typed up notes which helps with memory and stores it all on one device. theres many good apps such as goodnotes and notability that make organization and note-taking so easy. there are some YouTubers such as samuel sureshi and ali abdaal who shows the pros of using an ipad and whether it would be for you. overall i think its a great investment and can be used as an ipad or computer. hope this helped and feel free to ask any other questions!
SamiahAB
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by vetstudent123)
I have a laptop and an ipad for when i fancy doing things differently.

I like using the ipad for when i want to annotate slides in a lecture rather than type stuff out. It’s particularly useful for lectures that have more images than others eg histology. Then i use my laptop for lectures that will need more typing.
as mentioned here its definately good for anotating lectures as you can pull up the slides whilst your lecturer is talking. notability also allows you to record the lecture at the same time your making notes, which can be played back, which is useful for when your going over your notes
vetstudent123
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Also just to add: I don’t think an ipad pro will be worth the extra money if you’re going to be using it only for lectures and leisure. I have a normal ipad and I’ve had no problems so far. Granted I don’t use it often for typing, I usually write with the apple pencil, but when I have typed (with a cheap bluetooth keyboard) there have been no issues.
SamiahAB
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Also just to add: I don’t think an ipad pro will be worth the extra money if you’re going to be using it only for lectures and leisure. I have a normal ipad and I’ve had no problems so far. Granted I don’t use it often for typing, I usually write with the apple pencil, but when I have typed (with a cheap bluetooth keyboard) there have been no issues.
very true, the main reason i will be purchasing it is because i can write my notes in an organised fashion without having loose pieces of paper everywhere as subjects containing bio are content heavy, and its light and portable meaning i will have all my notes with me when needed
SamiahAB
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
i would contact the unis you have applied for as some provide ipad or tablets to students to use throughout the course and to keep, it would be useful to check this out before purchasing anything
jbrdodd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Cant really speak for med students but as a history students I’d find it impossible writing notes on an ipad in a lecture with the amount of information said each lecture. Probably better to just get a decent laptop thats gonna last you as you’ll probably end up using that more
SamiahAB
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by jbrdodd)
Cant really speak for med students but as a history students I’d find it impossible writing notes on an ipad in a lecture with the amount of information said each lecture. Probably better to just get a decent laptop thats gonna last you as you’ll probably end up using that more
med students have far more annotating and as lectures are recorded you can always go back. there's also cheap detachable keyboards you can get to type with, so its a 2 in 1. writing is proven to help memorisation so all factors of learning are involved but i understand why for history this would be a workload!
vetstudent123
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by SamiahAB)
very true, the main reason i will be purchasing it is because i can write my notes in an organised fashion without having loose pieces of paper everywhere as subjects containing bio are content heavy, and its light and portable meaning i will have all my notes with me when needed
I agree, I meant not purchasing the ipad pro when the normal ipad or ipad air are like half the price and do the same thing. The ipad pro is only really useful if you use it for graphics or something similar but for lecture notes it’s not worth the extra money.
jbrdodd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
med students have far more annotating and as lectures are recorded you can always go back. there's also cheap detachable keyboards you can get to type with, so its a 2 in 1. writing is proven to help memorisation so all factors of learning are involved but i understand why for history this would be a workload!
I’ve used the detatchable keyboards for an ipad during lectures and they’re completely fine and can type just as fast on one of them like you can on a laptop, so I would probably actually recommend an ipad as theyre alot more lightweight as long as OP got an attatchable keyboard too
Last edited by jbrdodd; 1 day ago
sarazoltan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 19 hours ago
Thanks everyone! I think I'll wait until September and see what lectures are like and decide then if it would be worth it or no.

i would contact the unis you have applied for as some provide ipad or tablets to students to use throughout the course and to keep, it would be useful to check this out before purchasing anything
As far as I could see online Glasgow hasn't given out ipads before
sarazoltan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 18 hours ago
I agree, I meant not purchasing the ipad pro when the normal ipad or ipad air are like half the price and do the same thing. The ipad pro is only really useful if you use it for graphics or something similar but for lecture notes it’s not worth the extra money.
Is size the only difference between ipad and ipad air then? (After researching I'm not getting a pro)
SamiahAB
Rep:
?
Report 18 hours ago
Is size the only difference between ipad and ipad air then? (After researching I'm not getting a pro)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFX-lyLU2X8&t=814s

check out this video, it should help you decide
sarazoltan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 18 hours ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFX-lyLU2X8&t=814s

check out this video, it should help you decide
Thank you! It was very helpful
vetstudent123
Rep:
?
Report 14 hours ago
Off the top of my head: the iPad Air is slightly thinner and lighter with a screen that's a bit bigger. The battery power is the same, but I think the air has a slightly better display and more memory. But it's about £100 more expensive and if these things aren't too important then the standard iPad should be fine. It's up to you though what you're willing to spend.

The apple website has a comparison page (hopefully the link works): https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compar...r&device3=ipad

I agree that it's a good idea to wait to see what your lectures are like. Everyone's slightly different. If you have time this summer then I would definitely have a play around with different styles of note taking and see which one suits you best, it will save you some time when you start as well.
sammyj97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 hours ago
Trade in your HP laptop and some money for a MacBook. I rushed into buying an iPad due to all of the aesthetic Instagram influencers... and I regret it. I’ve probably only used it a handful of times in the past 2 years.
FRS500
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 hours ago
I use my iPad Pro and MacBook Air for totally diff things tbh. Both have their purpose academically as well as for fun.

I tend to use the iPad for charts/graphs/reading (to an extent).

Mac is for actual doing bare work
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (26)
21.49%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (32)
26.45%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (17)
14.05%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (29)
23.97%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (10)
8.26%
I haven't started researching yet (7)
5.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise