whats another way to say 'literally'

Watch
vix.xvi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm writing something but I really wanna use the word literally.

the sentence: It is literally used everywhere.

It gives the sentence a lot more oomph, but I can't say literally cuz that's not very formal any ideas lmao
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This will be your greatest friend from now on - https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/goggle
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
(Original post by goggleyed)
This will be your greatest friend from now on - https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/goggle
thanks
just made a new bestie
Legomenon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sounds formal enough to be honest, because there I assume you're using the traditional meaning of the word literally (as opposed to the less formal one where you just use it for emphasis even though it's not literally true). I guess an alternative would be 'it is used in every single...'.
goggleyed
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
thanks
just made a new bestie
i'm making a lot of besties on here today... whats happening? a lot of love in the air :heart:
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Legomenon)
Sounds formal enough to be honest, because there I assume you're using the traditional meaning of the word literally (as opposed to the less formal one where you just use it for emphasis even though it's not literally true). I guess an alternative would be 'it is used in every single...'.
thats smart
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
I'm writing something but I really wanna use the word literally.

the sentence: It is literally used everywhere.

It gives the sentence a lot more oomph, but I can't say literally cuz that's not very formal any ideas lmao
What is used literally everywhere though? Air and water are about the only two things on the planet that are actually used literally everywhere.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
What is used literally everywhere though? Air and water are about the only two things on the planet that are actually used literally everywhere.
Apart from in a vacuum...
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Apart from in a vacuum...
Touché. So is there anything that, according to the correct definition of the word literally, is actually used everywhere?
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nothing wrong with using the word 'literally' as long as you're using it properly, which in this context you would be. If you really don't want to use it you could substitute it with 'These machines can be found all over the country' for instance.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
Touché. So is there anything that, according to the correct definition of the word literally, is actually used everywhere?
:nope:
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The word 'literally' is literally used incorrectly almost everywhere...

if you're doing some formal or academic writing you'll want to be sure you're using it correctly.

https://youtu.be/8Gv0H-vPoDc
FF to 2:43 to see what teachers etc think about it
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sometimes I alternate between 'basically' and 'literally' depending on the context. Both tend to work
GabiAbi84
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
IMO using literally doesn’t add anything to this sentence except an exaggerated hyperbole which, if it is academic/formal writing, would not be welcome.

Depending on what the “it” is that you are talking about it would probably be better to frame it as

“It is commonplace”
“It is used worldwide”
Or just remove the world literally and state
“It is used almost everywhere”
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 1 week ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
IMO using literally doesn’t add anything to this sentence except an exaggerated hyperbole which, if it is academic/formal writing, would not be welcome.

Depending on what the “it” is that you are talking about it would probably be better to frame it as

“It is commonplace”
“It is used worldwide”
Or just remove the world literally and state
“It is used almost everywhere”
It is so heart warming to see someone with the ability to use proper English :five:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (76)
18.58%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (82)
20.05%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (78)
19.07%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (90)
22%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.02%
I haven't started researching yet (42)
10.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise