The Student Room Group

How to quit a job?

Hey guys,

I really don't like my job, my manager treats me like the black sheep when I offer the most support to him. I feel really undervalued in my job. I have felt like this after 2 months of working. I have now been working there for 9 months and I see no improvements.

I want to resign, but I have no other job lined up.
I want to leave but I know my manager will ask why I am resigning and he gets really personal and asks far too many questions.
I don't want to tell him that I quit because I no longer want to work for him.

what can I write in my resignation letter and what do I say to him in person?
I am unsure, as I really want a good reference from him.
Please could someone help :frown:
You don't have to reveal why you're leaving to him. Your letter should be short and sweet, basically outlining the fact you're handing in your notice (however long your notice period is) and the date on which you will do your last days work. You can just say "I am leaving for personal reasons" and then deflect the conversation if you get cornered.

The best you can do to get a good reference is just not walk out and continue to work well. If your company has someone who handles HR you can talk to them in private about the reference (HR is not there to protect you, but if they feel the business could hit legal trouble through them giving a bad reference, then they will likely take actions to ensure the reference is at least neutral.)
Original post by manoharr
Hey guys,

I really don't like my job, my manager treats me like the black sheep when I offer the most support to him. I feel really undervalued in my job. I have felt like this after 2 months of working. I have now been working there for 9 months and I see no improvements.

I want to leave but I know my manager will ask why I am resigning and he gets really personal and asks far too many questions.

If you need a job, find a replacement before quitting.

Because in the current climate finding a replacement job may well be extremely hard.

To quit type up a polite note, explaining you are thankful for the opportunity enjoyed working with the team, but you are now exploring new opportunities and to accept this as a formal notice of resignation.

When at work ask for a quick private conversation with your manger and hand them the letter, then say your thankful for the work but need to pursue this alternative.

I always say be polite, as it’s better to not burn bridges and you may need a reference...
Hey guys,

Write a short letter and next time you're at work see your manager. Tell him/her you have decided to leave and then hand them the letter of your resignation.

I've written you a short template for your letter below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear [insert HR or managers name],

I am writing to inform you that I have decided to leave my roles as [insert role]. I would like to thank the company for all the experience I have gained whilst working here.

Please accept this letter as my [number] days notice, as outlined in my employment contract. This means my employment will terminate on [insert date].

Warm regards,
[your name]

[your sigature]
[date of letter]
[contact details]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just give him/her the letter, say you are leaving. If they ask questions just say I'm going somewhere else - keep it brief.

If you're really nervous, try and give them your resignation letter the day before your days off before leaving your shift. This way you won't see them for a few days so they will be over it by the time of your next shift lol.

If possible, book a weeks holiday and hand in your notice before your holiday (still counts).

Hope I helped :smile:
say 'I QUIT'
then walk out in style:cool:
Original post by iDeano
Write a short letter and next time you're at work see your manager. Tell him/her you have decided to leave and then hand them the letter of your resignation.

I am writing to inform you that I have decided to leave my roles as [insert role]. I would like to thank the company for all the experience I have gained whilst working here.

Please accept this letter as my [number] days notice, as outlined in my employment contract. This means my employment will terminate on [insert date].

Warm regards,
[your name]

[your sigature]
[date of letter]
[contact details]

Just give him/her the letter, say you are leaving. If they ask questions just say I'm going somewhere else - keep it brief.

If you're really nervous, try and give them your resignation letter the day before your days off before leaving your shift. This way you won't see them for a few days so they will be over it by the time of your next shift lol.

If possible, book a weeks holiday and hand in your notice before your holiday (still counts).

looks good

yup and defo use your holidays before you go
Original post by mnot

Because in the current climate finding a replacement job may well be extremely hard.

To quit type up a polite note, explaining you are thankful for the opportunity enjoyed working with the team, but you are now exploring new opportunities and to accept this as a formal notice of resignation.

When at work ask for a quick private conversation with your manger and hand them the letter, then say your thankful for the work but need to pursue this alternative.

I always say be polite, as it’s better to not burn bridges and you may need a reference...

It is awful the coercion in the system.
Reply 7
Original post by iDeano

Warm regards,
[your name]

[your sigature]
[date of letter]
[contact details]

Hey, really thank you for this!!
Amazing advice!

What if I quit tomorrow, should I be paid for any holiday I have not been able to take for the last 9 months?
Hey, really thank you for this!!
Amazing advice!

What if I quit tomorrow, should I be paid for any holiday I have not been able to take for the last 9 months?

Yes, they are legally obligated to pay you for any unspent holiday.
Original post by vicvic38
It is awful the coercion in the system.

Yep, just gotta take the game for what it is
Original post by mnot
Yep, just gotta take the game for what it is

Naturally. One person can't change it, but we can all work together to make some change.
Original post by vicvic38
Naturally. One person can't change it, but we can all work together to make some change.

Tbh I find it hard to blame people for looking out for their own best interests. Someone will always do it to have an edge regardless.
I get that you hate your job I hate mine too but honestly leaving a job now is a risky move.. the job market is in bits.
Original post by mnot
Tbh I find it hard to blame people for looking out for their own best interests. Someone will always do it to have an edge regardless.

If people understood that they are closer to needing a food bank than being a millionaire, then maybe change would be easier to come by.
Reply 14
Original post by mnot

I have been religiously applying everyday since middle of May!
I have got into contact with some recruiters, so I don't mind quitting for now,
I appreciate your help and trustworthy advice
thank you :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by ThuggerThugger
I get that you hate your job I hate mine too but honestly leaving a job now is a risky move.. the job market is in bits.

I see so many advertisements online? especially on Indeed etc. I thought we are in a better position now
I see so many advertisements online? especially on Indeed etc. I thought we are in a better position now

Go ahead then quit lol

Quit the job if you are unhappy and can afford to.

ASAP if possible.

Good luck if you need further advice, feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending