imdepressed121
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello, I really want to do 4 a levels, the a levels I want to do are English lit, history, french and politics, I was wondering if I should.
hustlr
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by imdepressed121)
Hello, I really want to do 4 a levels, the a levels I want to do are English lit, history, french and politics, I was wondering if I should.
From my experience, if you’re sociable and like having time with friends and studying in a balanced fashion 3 would be better. Because I had 4 at the start of year 12 and I was like yeah yeah I’m gonna do 4 yhyh, then my grades began to DROP near the end of the year especially after I started working, so I lost motivation. So in year 13 I’m planning to drop one of my alevels and continue with 3, as the workload is just enough for me.
If you really want to, go ahead, but you might change your mind in the future.

Also, unis make decisions based on 3 A levels, so 4 would be rational if you genuinely like learning
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hustlr)
Also, unis make decisions based on 3 A levels, so 4 would be rational if you genuinely like learning
It still wouldn't be rational as OP could just read or learn about them in their spare time.

imdepressed121 - don't bother doing 4 as universities won't be impressed by it. They'll literally ignore 1 and just ask for 3 grades. Doing 4 definitely won't make you stand out either as it's not a requirement whatsoever. Just stick with 3 and read/learn about the other topic in your spare time.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey imdepressed121!

My school made us take 4 AS levels and drop one at the end of year 12. I took English literature, history, politics and sociology and I found it manageable. However, I did notice that after I dropped English lit in year 13 my other grades went up and I finished sixth form with a lot higher than my predicted grades. This might not be solely because I dropped a subject, but studying three subjects instead of four obviously made it a lot easier to spend more time on my other subjects which already required a lot of work.

If you feel capable, I don't see anything wrong with studying 4. If you find you don't like it, you can always drop one throughout the year or just before you go into year 13!

Hope that helps!

Courtney -- Official Student Rep
rubytinker01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I originally took 4 A Levels, then dropped one at the start of year 13. I got straight 9s at GCSE and thought it was enough to be a bit clever and that'd get me through it. I was so wrong; you need to invest time if you're gonna take 4 - A LOT of time. To the point where your free periods are genuinely all spent studying, and you spend hours a day of your free time studying too. I would seriously urge you not to take four. No uni requires or expects 4 A Levels of their applicants, and that includes Oxbridge.

Of course, I don't know you personally. If you're the kind of person who is clever and would rather spend their time studying than going out or procrastinating, then go for it. You know your limits best. But it takes a hell of a lot of motivation and hard work to get through three, let alone four, trust me!

Best of luck whichever you choose
ShonenLights
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
what if you did three a levels plus further maths
Nautilus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ShonenLights)
Not much point if the OP isn't taking maths in the first place.
4 A levels is a slog, and as others have pointed out, universities base offers on 3 subjects, even Oxbridge.
At my school the brighter students started with 4, and some kept up with 4 until the end of year 13, but the fourth subject was usually further maths (taken alongside maths, physics and chemistry).

The lack of free periods to study and the extra hours of homework for four subjects defeated many students, and they were glad to drop to three asfter AS levels. I notice that all your subjects are essay heavy, so I would seriously reconsider how many subjects you want to take.
tacobeth
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
universities will only look at 3 a levels and ignore the 4th, unless you’re doing FM which you aren’t. if you want to do 4 you could do 3 A levels + an EPQ as universities will look at that more than they would if you did a 4th a level.

i did 4 subjects (3 but one was an intensive so I had 4 classes) and with less time and more work it was a bit of a struggle, don’t think I would’ve coped if it were 4 different subjects. But if you’re great at time management and know how to revise efficiently and really want to do 4 subjects then you could do a trial through year 12 and if it’s a struggle then drop one for year 13.
Hayli1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
4 is a lot, but if you can handle the workload, go ahead
FRS500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Four is a VERY high workload. Unis make offers based on three so an extra one really isn't going to be of any extra benefit.

Ideally focus on the three subjects and get as good a grade possible.
georgeparasol12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, at my sixth form we have to for the first year then can drop one start of the second.
I'm doing History, Ancient History, Politics and Music btec.
Your options sound great and all compliment each other so it should be fine
Good luck.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ShonenLights)
that's more manageable, because revising further maths also revises normal maths too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (34)
7.98%
Confident (56)
13.15%
Indifferent (60)
14.08%
Unsure (110)
25.82%
Worried (166)
38.97%

Watched Threads

Latest