What is meant by 'my hands are tied' in the sense a person feels like they no options

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
A person says they have no other alternatives, and that there hands are tied. So that is why they had to do a certain thing.

Even though someone else says it was a 'choice'. The other person says 'it was not a choice, the best way to explain is that my hands are tied'
username4240292
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It just means their hands were tied I guess? You're anon. There's no need to overly cryptic like that.
macy_m
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They could do nothing about it
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well they are unable to do anything about it... and it's someone (or thing) else's fault (because you can't tie your own hands together)
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Well they are unable to do anything about it... and it's someone (or thing) else's fault (because you can't tie your own hands together)
Aahh!!! That makes sense. Thank you.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They’re being used as a sex slave in a basement somewhere.
Last edited by YaliaV; 1 week ago
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A person says they have no other alternatives, and that there hands are tied. So that is why they had to do a certain thing.

Even though someone else says it was a 'choice'. The other person says 'it was not a choice, the best way to explain is that my hands are tied'
Someone having their hands tied usually means that they have 2+ actions they could choose, but all actions will cause someone to be hurt/upset. For example, if 2 different friends (who don't get on with each other) invited you to dinner on the same day at the same time, you are going to have to disappoint one of them.

There is a choice, but having your hands tied means that you acknowledge that someone will be hurt by whichever choice you make.
Kutie Karen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It means they have not control over the situation and have no real option/solution. Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.74%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.32%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.96%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (96)
21.67%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.93%
I haven't started researching yet (46)
10.38%

Watched Threads